• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Holy Cow! Amazon.com.UK won't ship Itens to Brazil?!?

FredLC

A Lawyer as You Can See!
Retired Moderator
Ok, now this pisses me off.

I was making a respectable purchase in UK amazon; I was pre-ordering Civ IV and F.E.A.R., as well as buying Fahrenheit (released today in the US as "Indigo Prophecy" - I want European version because it has been censored in the US and while I think modifications are minor, I don't want to indulge moral Nazis who don't think their nation can handle a bit of pixelated nudity), for a purchase that would top 100 dollars, plus dispachement expenses.

In the middle of the purchase, what do I find out? They WON'T send it to Brazil!!! Darn, why not? I mean, what possible loss would they have? Heck, they send books. Last year I spent about $ 100,00 in books with them, and, unlike now, I wasn't even living in a Capital City...

Anyone here among our European posters can enlighten me on the matter?

Besides, anyone here can point me to a online store where I can get "Fahrenheit" to be delivered at my place?

Regards :).

Would it break any legal restrictions due to potentially banned content?

FredLC said:
Ok, now this pisses me off.

I was making a respectable purchase in UK amazon; I was pre-ordering Civ IV and F.E.A.R., as well as buying Fahrenheit (released today in the US as "Indigo Prophecy" - I want European version because it has been censored in the US and while I think modifications are minor, I don't want to indulge moral Nazis who don't think their nation can handle a bit of pixelated nudity), for a purchase that would top 100 dollars, plus dispachement expenses.

In the middle of the purchase, what do I find out? They WON'T send it to Brazil? Darn, why not? I mean, what possible loss would they have? Heck, they send books. Last year I spent about $ 100,00 in books with them, and, unlike now, I wasn't even living in a Capital City...

Anyone here among our European posters can enlighten me on the matter?

Besides, anyone here can point me to a online store where I can get "Fahrenheit" to be delivered at my place?

Could it be a DVD? I assume the region dictates where it is sold: How unCapitalistic.

Yup, it's DVD. But most modern players already bypass region encoding. Anyway, 4 months ago I bought some Stephen King old minisseries (The Shining, Storm of the Century, IT and The Stand) in DVD at US Amazon, and while they warned me about the possibility of them not working, it was ultimately my choice to get them (and they did work even in my region-free standalone).

Thats a shame though, I've always hated the region thing. (seems down right communist to me, splitting up the regions so everyone gets to make DVDs)

Azadre:

Legally, yes.

Some manufactores have including released software to re-write the ROM memory (flashing) and erase the zone protection.

Besides, no law whatsoever forbids me from modifying my legally bought hardware to my necessities, or force me to conform to industry limitations that make it hard for me to indulge legal use.

Just like nothing forbids me from making a copy of a legal software for the purpose of safekeeping, nothing forbids me from watching a movie from a different area in my devices.

Side note: DVD region encoding is also for games? I always thought it was for movies only (not that it does not make the same little sense the other does, I just didn't know).

Yea, i dont see the point in still having regions for DVD's.
As for youtr items, very odd. Would it let you buy CIV4 on its own and send it to brazil? It might just be the DVD they cant send for some reason. It snot like the thing will be huge and very expensive to send for them even. Try out some other countries amazon sites, or buy the DVD from elsewhere and just use amazon for the civ pre-order.

FredLC said:
Side note: DVD region encoding is also for games? I always thought it was for movies only (not that it does not make the same little sense the other does, I just didn't know).
It is for video games I think. I know that the SNES had different regions like that but I haven't kept up to date.

No good, really. F.E.A.R. and Civ IV I can get relativelly easy, and the US version (which will probably be the base of any game released here) will be untouched. fahrenheit (despite published by Atari) is a more indy game, which's release here is uncertain, and also have that US censorship thing going.

I was ordering the others with the strict purpose of getting that one (soi I could take advantage of the same mailbox and get a cheaper price). Ordering just the two others does not accomplish my purpose.

jut out of interest, why is fahrenheit being censored at all in america? i looked at the official website, and cant see anything that warrents government intervention in the story or gameplay.
And thats always a good idea. Get someone to buy it here and ship it over, but it'll cost more for you.

Do you know somebody outside of Brazil that can send them to you?

Farhenheit IS being censored, yes. Name has been changed (can't figure out why - I mean, I don't think Michael Moore is THAT dreaded - but the US name is actually cooler iMHO), and a sex scene (interactive, from what I read) was removed (I checked it in the game forums, but I am at work and don't have the link here). Apparently, censors thought that the fact it was interactive made it over the top, and it would get AO intead of M rating for that.

Of course, however, they will not advertise about that in the site that aims to sell the thing...

Anyway, nah, nobody. I mean, my Brother lived in California for a year, but he is back already (and US residents will be no good). I have nobody in Europe.

Ask nicely for someone on here. Or if anybody is planning to go to brazil soon, pick up a copy before they go...

@FredLC: just search the Internet to see if there's a patch out there that adds what is being censored in the US, but I admit that, it's less trouble to have all the content already in a non-cut version.

Yes, you could find someone in Europe to ship it over to you(even better if you'd find someone in the U.K, as they get a good shipping discount for big orders), but it'd cost some more money that way to ship it to you, I imagine.

Amazon has some weird rules in the US also. I'm in the US military overseas. We have an APO AP address, which is a US address that gets shipped to a US military base overseas. I was trying to order some flight simulator hardware and software for my son, but they wouldn't ship it to an APO. Same problem for my razor gell of all strange things. I was able to order both via other companies. Never understood the issue.

I also hate the DVD thing, since I've lived in every region, but can't play the local stuff. I finally bought this year a DVD player that will play all regions so we can watch local movies (its really cool to watch a movie in English, then get the Japanese version that is dubbed in Japanese with English subtitles, which are usually very different than the words spoken).

There has to be other companies out there that will ship it, at least I always find one in the US that will.

To the US it is far easier. Brazil, not quite such a walk in the park. I have already found one that will likely send Fahrenheit to Brazil, but apparently, won't allow me to pre-order Civ IV and F.E.A.R.

To be perfectly honest, I'm almost buying the censored version and downloading the uncensored one to play. This way I am a legal owner of the game copy, I have rewarded the manufactorers and I don't pay homage to silly censorship.

Top Bottom