• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Holy Wars (or the lack therof)

kumquatelvis

Prince
I've had the AI demand a lot of things to end a war, but I've never seen them ask me to change my religion. They will occasionally ask before going to war, but it should at times be one of their demands (or their only demand). Especially for spiritual leaders, and even more so for Hyborem/Basium.

There was such feature a while back were the highest priest of a religion could be upgraded to an even higher unit [the leader of the church] and he had the ability to declare holy war. That meant that every civ with the same state religion as the priest controller joined in all wars for that civ.

I miss it.

[NWO]_Valis;7684774 said:
There was such feature a while back were the highest priest of a religion could be upgraded to an even higher unit [the leader of the church] and he had the ability to declare holy war. That meant that every civ with the same state religion as the priest controller joined in all wars for that civ.

I miss it.

It would make a nice Bannor UU.

I miss it.

I miss Patriarch every night :(

I miss it.
This Pope like unit sounds like an awesome Mini hero what else could he do other than declare Crusades ?

It was a promotion to one of the high priests, I think added some holy strength as well?

No, it added 2 to the base strength (both offense and defense), not in types damage. The same promotion ("Patriarch") was used for high priests of all religions, and having high Priests of the Veil have holy strength is just odd.

The only spell it allowed was Call Holy War, which made every one of your state religion with whom you are not at war declare war on every one with whom you are at war.

I never really thought that most of the religions were organized enough for Patriarchs to make sense. They fit well in The Order, but not really anywhere else.

I'm thinking that I'll probably add back a Patriarch as a world unit upgrade of a Prior in my version, with more spells than just Call Holy War. It may or may not be Bannor only.

i recon the holy war thingy could work with an increase of the diplomacy modifiers on religion, when the AC increases, or if this is already happening, increase them even further. When doom approaches, people like to be with those of a common faith. When all leaders of the same religion have +10 towards eachother, and -10 towards all other religions, you should see religion blocks battling eachother a lot more often i recon.

I'm thinking that I'll probably add back a Patriarch as a world unit upgrade of a Prior in my version, with more spells than just Call Holy War. It may or may not be Bannor only.

Sounds like a good idea.

I miss "-8 You are destroying the world!" and "+8 You are protecting the world!", those got holy wars started fast.

Whatever happened to these? They were great at making the end of the world seem near.

They were a little too easy to exploit when AV, though. I would declare war, raze a bunch of cities until they would agree to to surrender and convert to AV, and then the "you are destroying the world" bonus would far outway the "you razed our cities" penalty, making them your best friend.

IIRC it was remove because it was replaced by the Overcouncel resolution to declare war, but I very rarely get the option to declare war on an actual enemy. It is always some one I am at peace (though weakly) with and no one I am actually at war with when the resolution panel comes up...

IIRC it was remove because it was replaced by the Overcouncel resolution to declare war, but I very rarely get the option to declare war on an actual enemy. It is always some one I am at peace (though weakly) with and no one I am actually at war with when the resolution panel comes up...

For atmospheric reasons, for feeling that a world is actually in motion, I like the Holy War and Overcouncil concepts, as long as they make sense: none of this "we're at war with Oceania now, we've always been at war with Oceania" and then after a dozen turns we're at war with someone else and allied with Oceania.

As the Overcouncil is implemented, I feel rather uninvolved too: it's not like we have debates or try to influence other members votes with bribes.

A Holy War menu option would be great 'cause I'd get tired of every game fighting to spread Ashen Veil or FoL; I prefer my own reasons for war and would usually not make use of the option.

You could attach working code to the XML tag for Declare War after refused demand, then it would happen.

As of now, instead of immediately declaring war, they set to strategy prepare for war, then attack after they are ready.

Top Bottom