How do emergencies work now?

bbbt

Deity
I'm a bit confused - Dido captured a city state (classical era). A message appeared saying I could spent 30 favor to call a special session for this emergency. I did so. Then nothing happened - it's been several turns. How long before the special session appears?

Yeah I've reloaded and tried it again a few times, but this seems bugged. It tells me a special session will happen next turn - takes my favor - and then nothing happens. No special session. Do emergencies only work now once the world congress has been officially 'founded' in the medieval era?

I don't know, but this just happened to me. Germany took a Mongol city and it asked me if I wanted to do anything about it. I'm not sure why it asked me, but I was friends with the Mongols and said sure. I just assumed it was cancelled because Germany made peace, but that doesn't make any sense for your City State example.

I didn't actually check if it took my favor.

For disaster emergencies, when you're the victim of a disaster (assuming the congress exists at that point), there is a notification about a special meeting. If you click on it you'll have a chance to call for an Aid resolution, or you can pass on it. I passed the few times it came up, because I didn't need the help (disasters do very little damage) and all it would have done is give the other civs a chance to earn diplomatic favor.

I was a bit confused when an emergency popped up in my game ( which I wanted because I was going for the achievement) but it wouldn't let me do anything for it.

I finally figured out it was because I was allied with Rome, so I couldn't be part of an emergency with them.

Has anyone been able to get an emergency to happen in the classical era (i.e. before the world congress officially starts)? I think it's a bit buggy where it pops up but won't actually call a special session.

Has anyone been able to get an emergency to happen in the classical era (i.e. before the world congress officially starts)? I think it's a bit buggy where it pops up but won't actually call a special session.

My first emergency was like 2 turns before the first world Congress. I thought it was odd. Was to help a civ with a disaster, you could do a project for aid or send gold.

My first emergency was like 2 turns before the first world Congress. I thought it was odd. Was to help a civ with a disaster, you could do a project for aid or send gold.

That actually isn't considered an emergency. I did one of those and it didn't count for Laurier's achievement. Emergencies are the same ones that were in the game previously, I wasn't able to personally join one though, which greatly annoyed me so I didn't get what I wanted.

I definitely do not like the wc. I hadn't met anyone, but had to vote on things I didn't give a damn about and it didn't allow me to just ignore it and vote. I didn't notice if we could disable it. And no puns about wc, I know what that stands for in Europe and other places. But, honestly, I equate the world congress with that. :mad:

That actually isn't considered an emergency. I did one of those and it didn't count for Laurier's achievement. Emergencies are the same ones that were in the game previously, I wasn't able to personally join one though, which greatly annoyed me so I didn't get what I wanted.

Oh I thought it was. I got a diplomatic victory point for winning.

I had one called on me retroactively. I took out Saladin in the classical era. About 20 turns later when medieval popped, Dido called an emergency to take back the Arabian capital. Which was inland on another continent. Yeah... that wasn't going to happen.

The other side of it was in a game today. Genghis took a Hungarian city and an emergency was called. It passed, easily. Biggest voter in favor of the emergency? Genghis, with six votes. :mischief:
He came to regret that.

I am really confused by emergencies as well. I just had a military emergency occur that targeted Shaka because he captured a single Khmer city, but I was inexplicably not allowed to participate in the voting at the World Congress. I am not allied or even friends with Shaka, so I don't see why I was excluded. Hungary was apparently excluded as well, but everyone else was allowed to vote. None of this really makes any sense, particularly since Shaka was not leading in any victory condition when he captured the tiny Khmer city, which was what I thought was the prerequisite for a military emergency in the first place. Are these things just completely random?

i've never once in 3 games had Aid resolution pop up and i've had countless floods and volcanoes wreck my cities.

In my situation my ally was attacked (Zullu), I got grievances and auto thrown into war against the attacker (Russia). A few turns later Russia took the a city, and i got 5 more grievances because of it. Emergency declared and I'm not allowed to participate! The resolution passed I'm sitting here like WTF! I want in. I was made to go to war against Russia automatically got grievances ... how could i not be involved?

I just had a military emergency occur that targeted Shaka because he captured a single Khmer city, but I was inexplicably not allowed to participate in the voting at the World Congress.

I think you have to have a positive relationship (DoF or Alliance) with the civilization that was attacked in order to participate in the emergency.

I got grievances and auto thrown into war against the attacker (Russia). A few turns later Russia took the a city, and i got 5 more grievances because of it. Emergency declared and I'm not allowed to participate! The resolution passed I'm sitting here like WTF! I want in. I was made to go to war against Russia automatically got grievances ... how could i not be involved?

You were already at war with Russia, so the Congress gives you no credit for continuing it. I don't like that mechanic, either, especially since the coalition will be rewarded if I happen to capture the target city.

Another weird bit is the way two emergencies interact—if two get called at the same time, you're best off choosing just one to pursue because frequently the target of one emergency will join the other, and everyone who joins the second automatically gets a truce with the coalition, so you suddenly wind up allied with the civ you actually wanted to attack. It get's really confusing.

Top Bottom