How do I find out what graphics card is in my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abaddon

Deity
I need to find out as a fresh install of Vista has left me without the drivers...

PC Wizard is a pretty good (and free) program that gives you detailed information about all your hardware.

Alternatively go to the laptop manufacturers site and download the software for your laptop model.

Some OEM modify hardware a bit and at times thats just enough to make the regular drivers incompatible, the Geforce in my old laptop was one of such pieces of hardware, nVidia drivers would simply not install without some manual modification of the INI files.

Your BIOS might also say, especially if its integrated.

You can run 'dxdiag' if you have DirectX. (Win+R to get the "Run" prompt, type in 'dxdiag')

It will give you a rundown of the various hardware you have. Click to the "Display" tab. You can also save all of the information as a txt file to save or print out.

This works on XP, sorry if it's not kosher for Vista.

You can run 'dxdiag' if you have DirectX. (Win+R to get the "Run" prompt, type in 'dxdiag')

It will give you a rundown of the various hardware you have. Click to the "Display" tab. You can also save all of the information as a txt file to save or print out.

This works on XP, sorry if it's not kosher for Vista.

This only works if you have the drivers installed. I dont think dxdiag will recognize your hardware if you don't have the drivers for it installed.

PC Wizard worked wonders. I found the needed drivers and now my "windows performance" is 2.7 rather than 1 :D

(Yes i realise that is poop, but this lappy isn't for gaming, just internet and music.)

google the laptop model

e.g. "hp pavilion slimline s3707 default graphics card"

oh nvm I guess yoiu found them after all.

google the laptop model

e.g. "hp pavilion slimline s3707 default graphics card"

oh nvm I guess yoiu found them after all.

Works well when the laptop only has one graphics card option, but if its like most, there were multiple choices, and often they're made by different companies (Low-end model uses intel, mid-range of the same model uses AMD, high-end uses nVidia)

oh, yeah, I guess you're right.

Wasn't thinkiing about that :crazyeye:

Does Vista have msinfo.32.exe? That should tell you the specs; I can't even find the bloody run command or I'd check myself.

Works well when the laptop only has one graphics card option, but if its like most, there were multiple choices, and often they're made by different companies (Low-end model uses intel, mid-range of the same model uses AMD, high-end uses nVidia)
doesn't the super high end use ATI Radeon also?

don't open your laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom