How do the rest of you track newly available resources?

Cyrusfan

King
Back in AND, about the time I would discover Rubber, I ran into a problem where my journal would for some reason not record all the "Rubber discovered near Such-and-such" messages. No one I asked at the time had the same issue or had any advice. So what I got in the habit of doing was scanning around the map like a mad man placing signs where ever a resource was discovered under an incorrect improvement, so I could find it again later. I found tonight that this is somewhat less effective when a resource appears outside my current viewport, as the pointer is gone by the time I can get to the city that was mentioned.

In another instance, I found that obsidian had appeared under one of my mines. At least I don't think I was paying little enough attention to build a mine over it.

So I was wondering how other people are managing that. I know once I've got a copy of a resource or two for redundancy it seems its better just to leave farms or mines on them, but I think someone was looking at bring the other improvements into line.

Absent any other ideas, I was thinking that maybe Event Signs could be modified to put a sign on resources as they are uncovered by tech or discovered by improvements (at least any that aren't harvested by the improvement that spawns them).

I've just been scanning the map regularly with the show resources flags on. It certainly could use some kind of enhancement like this to put a note on an unaccessed resource in your territory, but that's probably easiest handled in python so its out of my jurisdiction atm.

Back in AND, about the time I would discover Rubber, I ran into a problem where my journal would for some reason not record all the "Rubber discovered near Such-and-such" messages. No one I asked at the time had the same issue or had any advice. So what I got in the habit of doing was scanning around the map like a mad man placing signs where ever a resource was discovered under an incorrect improvement, so I could find it again later. I found tonight that this is somewhat less effective when a resource appears outside my current viewport, as the pointer is gone by the time I can get to the city that was mentioned.

In another instance, I found that obsidian had appeared under one of my mines. At least I don't think I was paying little enough attention to build a mine over it.

So I was wondering how other people are managing that. I know once I've got a copy of a resource or two for redundancy it seems its better just to leave farms or mines on them, but I think someone was looking at bring the other improvements into line.

Absent any other ideas, I was thinking that maybe Event Signs could be modified to put a sign on resources as they are uncovered by tech or discovered by improvements (at least any that aren't harvested by the improvement that spawns them).

Markers should not disappear across viewport switches. This sounds like a bug.

Markers should not disappear across viewport switches. This sounds like a bug.

Maybe dumb user, in my case. I meant the markers that show up with the beginning of turn announcement (which go away after three seconds like the message). I'll try Thunderbrd's idea if I can find the option.

I play with the resources (and tile yields) on. That's just my little quirk, so I never notice these problems.

For me, I just Ctrl-Tab to access the event log, and scroll down until I find the resource-has-been-discovered message. Clicking on this message shows me the location. Either I click a nearby worker and tell it to move here, or I place an Alt+S marker for later. Ancient relics or oil always get a guy on them. Bauxite or titanium...not so much.

Another of my desires to find fault/optimise everything, I alter the .xml files to make randomly discovered resources correspond to corporations (with C2C, I changed grains+nuts+vegetables+etcetc to correspond) so that every new discovery increases the yield of my empire as a whole. Obsidian too. Then again, I do play Minecraft an awful lot, so you can't really blame me for making Obsidian a whole lot more relevant in the modern era.

I think we'd like a list of your changes Claymore! That sounds like some work I'd like to see done for the mod but haven't had the patient focus on that project to do it myself yet. YES our new resources should be tied into the corps better!

For me, I just Ctrl-Tab to access the event log, and scroll down until I find the resource-has-been-discovered message. Clicking on this message shows me the location. Either I click a nearby worker and tell it to move here, or I place an Alt+S marker for later. .

That's what I try to do, it's just that I've found the event log to be unreliable when it comes to these particular messages.

So I tried the ctrl-R command to get the resource markers I think Koshling was referring to. While that's clearer information than just looking at the tile graphics, it's kind of too much information as what I really want is just the resources that need attention because they aren't currently being harvested. Also, I needed to use the command every time I had a new worker to poke around because if I left the markers up during a viewport shift, they float around like my great wall.

What I found while looking for that 'option' was that I still had "Workers leave old improvements" on from way back in the original Civ 4 days when I got mad at workers building farms and villages over each other on the same tile endlessly. I'm hoping currently that with that turned off, my Automate Trade Network workers will see the unharvested resources and attend to them.

Edit: Yeah, that seems to be working. Wish I had tried that 5 years ago.

Top Bottom