[GS] How exactly do you execute Knight rush in GS?

If you get 5 cities before turn 35 and build a monument in each of them fairly soon enough you can get away with Feudalism around turn 50-55 and hit Knights a few turns faster. Try to get a good amount of archers, swords and horsemen meanwhile.

Because im multiplayer 3 knights alone cant do much against skilled players(unless you get them before turn 50).

A strong army in mp around the turn 55-60 is more or less 500 strength total.

Are you talking standard or online speed? Cause those are very difficult benchmarks to reach if its standard.

If you get 5 cities before turn 35
100% agree, these figures are way off for standard speed... I take back what I said about knights by T60 if that is online speed.
We tend to mention speed if it is not standard to avoid such confusion.

Are you talking standard or online speed? Cause those are very difficult benchmarks to reach if its standard.

Nah i'm not a hacker.

100% agree, these figures are way off for standard speed... I take back what I said about knights by T60 if that is online speed.
We tend to mention speed if it is not standard to avoid such confusion.

My bad i was responding to a previous post where he mentionned about online speed.

It's still not a bad time for online mp games but you must have gathered a lot more than 3 knights by that time if you wanna have more success. A late 50's knights combined with Xbows(with Mercenaries) is something i like.

If you wait for Mercenaries there is a little trick that allow you to build knights a bit faster and also get them faster near war zone.

First, keep a 1 turn culture tech in bank. Get enough gold! Upgrade your chariots to Knights with Merc card. Upgrade everything in 1 turn. No ressource left(5 units usually). Then take 1 turn to put out card.

Build chariots everwhere with 50% card. 2 turns chariots. Then put back Merc card. Bring chariots near war zone. Upgrade.

You still have to wait for ressources to fill up but if you have the gold it can save many turns.

Let's settle it down about speed - it is multiplayer mode that I'm interested in so we're talking about online speed.

Maybe someone can toss a link to some video with a good example of rushing out knights? Or let's say - prioritizing culture and going Feudalism->Mercenaries while maintaining decent science and gold output and securing early iron?
Because I feel like either I doing something terribly wrong or you just putting unrealistic (for average game) standards on timings.

Or maybe it is just my luck, because in order to gain experience I take whatever game throws at me, for example - I've recently started a game next to tundra with only bonus resource of rice and only 1 nearby tundra hill covered with forest for production yield, but there were three marsh tiles (rice included) so I mitigated lack of production by picking +1 production from marsh/floodplain/something Pantheon. Still was able to defend myself against early invasion of 4 warrs, 2 archers, 2 galleys (with Oligarchy) and pump out knights around T60. I probably would be crushed with such start in multiplayer, but I think that's still a nice result.

EDIT: For now I realized that I still need to try to focus on Feudalism (because it is good on it's own) and Mercenaries (because it basically doubles number of Knights you can have with given amount of gold and iron in stockpile). It is better to pump out 6 knights slightly later rather than 3 early but also have a massive economic boost with early 5-charge workers.

I can only talk SP standard speed. Which is likely no use to you but here is some of that.

maintaining decent science and gold output
Nope, you do not need good science output, just good culture initially. Did you read the post in another thread on phases, that clarifies a lot of the feudalism strategy.
Gold initially is more about selling unless you are pushing for medieval fairies inspiration.
The expansion phase is about getting settlers out, you do not finish districts you do not need to for eureka/inspirations. It is the main mistake people make with it. At Feudalism you get 5+ charge builders and it is around then you do the big majority of your chopping including chopping in districts which slingshots you past the AI because you have more cities.
Because expansion is about war as well as settle you can be on 20+ cities by T100, I think my most was 28.

it is just my luck,
Probably a mix - many people reroll, I tend to play at least 20 turns regardless but yes, poor starts like tundra you have no chance of what is quoted.
Being attacked by barbs is a big setback, dealing with barbs is a key thing in the first 10-15 turns. Not sure what you know so apologies for what you do.
A scout needs to see your city to get an exclamation mark, it normally then sprints off to find the nearest barb camp... I think it knows it’s source camp but unsure.
Sitting a city on top of a hill means a scout can see it from 3 tiles away
Sending your warrior out in a straight line in increasing your chance of a barb attack as opposed to circling your city, in particular looking for horses (early AH helps)
Getting a scout rather than a slinger first really makes a difference, send it out the other side of your city from your warrior... it has a ZOC and scouts do not like to move through ZOC. Slingers naturally do not have one.
Early barb horses are pussies, move 3 strength 20, even a fortified scout does OK versus them.
Emperor barbs spawn every 2 turns, immortal are every one, much more vital on immortal to stop barbs.
Naturally barb / camps give both gold and era (and inspiration + eureka)

After more mp games played and watching more streamers i realized something important.

In cases where you can wait for Knights before going for your opponent it's really hard to skip Pingala. With 2 Pingala upgrades you can have both a culture and sci boost. The bad side is gold. But i got something interesting...

Pingala actually helps you in culture a lot. That means faster way to reach policies that gives you more governor picks. Under average maps i managed to reach Knight AND Mercenaries around the turn 45-50 at online speed. But it means a fast reach of Reyna after 3 Pingala picks. Because you gonna need gold in some way.

It means getting Gov. Plaza asap in 2nd city and commercial hubs in that city and capital. And finally Warrior Throne plaza building.

Taking a detour to policy that gives campus bonuses(i don't remember the name) is needed for extra gov pick. If you skip that part make sure to get enough gold in time with only 2 Reyna picks(2nd one is for double comm hubs bonus, usually 8-10 gpt extra). A 3rd pick into Reyna is great because it gives another 12-16 gpt.

With an average of 5 cities i can get over 6 or 7 Knights with some previously swords upgraded. That strategy is nuts. It can litterally kill anyone that is more or less prepared. The only downside is that you can't optimally attack before that because that part is Reyna starting strat (Horsemen built + wariror upgrades + archers) like i previously explained.

It's not rare to get around 40/45 spt; 35/40 cpt and 40/50 gpt around the turn 50.

Finally i said i was watching streamers. Well they almost all abandonned the Magnus start...and for good reasons.

Because you gonna need gold in some way.
I am glad you see the value in early culture, you can science push knights but it does not gel as well. But MP gold has got to be tough, in SP it is a lot easier.
Finally i said i was watching streamers. Well they almost all abandonned the Magnus start...and for good reasons.
I have given up with streamers. The Magnus chop is still good and only 4 iron to chop in a knight, no gold required.
Provision is also handy. But chopping in Ancestral hall, chopping in a navy at 100% chop. Heaven forbid we think of chopping in horsemen. I am not saying Pin is bad by any means, I am just saying play the map, play to the civs strengths. I find Amani is hard to ignore early if I want a golden classic or early suze. I also find streamers are more about the audience than the game.

I play a lot of Victoria so have always been a Reyna fan even though SP.

Huh just realized mercenarys don't give a resource discount anymore. Wasn't abke to play since update. This thoughens up this push quite a bit for me. I think I still don't like swords but maybe here comes +3 magnus to shine in early wars now.

Huh just realized mercenarys don't give a resource discount anymore. Wasn't abke to play since update. This thoughens up this push quite a bit for me. I think I still don't like swords but maybe here comes +3 magnus to shine in early wars now.

Mercenaries is splitted in 2 cards now. You can still have a discount for upgrades and ressources but you have to use both cards. And Magnus doesn't apply for upgrades.

Mercenaries is splitted in 2 cards now. You can still have a discount for upgrades and ressources but you have to use both cards. And Magnus doesn't apply for upgrades.

Oh I didn't realize there is a resource card, yes. I was refering to magnus in order to chop out horses or knights directly. But thanks, I guess I'll even like autoracy more now.

Top Bottom