How far are you willing to go for freedom ?

BigBirdZ28

Fundamentalist in a Z28
How far ?

How much does freedom of movement between work, school & your home mean to you ?

Would you choose to be safe, do as your told let & someone else's military manage your life ?

Is it worth endangering yourself & your belongings to resist ?

Maturity is being shown in alternate controversial threads so please extend the same maturity here.

Thanks,
Khalil.

The cost of freedom is very high indeed. But it is something which is continuously tested, our dedication to preserving it.
The cost can never be too high, however. I don't want to go over the top on this one, but it is better to die a free man than live in slavery.

Were my freedom truly threatened here where I live, let's say the hundreds of Japanese tourists that hit my city every summer have ulterior motives, then I suppose I'd have to get my family to safety, and throw everything else I've got into the fire.

If you won't fight for it, you don't deserve it. History shows us that freedom is a priveledge, not a right.

Originally posted by BigBirdZ28
Would you choose to be safe, do as your told let & someone else's military manage your life ?

Is it worth endangering yourself & your belongings to resist ?
I'm with Patrick Henry on this one...
I like arguing, I like chaotic patterns, I don't like knowing what I'm going to do next week... I don't see how I could convert my life to a totalitarian society and still be happy.
I'm more afraid of being a victim than of dying. Defense against tyranny lies in the willingness to take a bullet; there is nothing other than my freedom that I would do that for.

If I have nothing substantial to risk but my own life, I'll go all the way. Evil is best nipped in the bud before they grow into a colossus.

However if I have family......, I think it'll be a harder thing to decide. Until the moment comes, I don't really know.

I'd rather be safe. if safety, security, and a sence of equality were assured, I wouldent fight. sorry.

Attachments

• ussr.gif
    ussr.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 154
Originally posted by Pellaken
I'd rather be safe. if safety, security, and a sence of equality were assured, I wouldent fight. sorry.

Well obviously some people would be more equal than others, otherwise it wouldn't be a proper dictatorship. :egypt:

I'd like to think that if any such situations arose i'd go as far as it took to ensure my freedom.

Most definetly not, and I deeply resent any attemptes to do so.

ComradeDavo, isn't communism kinda like the opposit of freedom?
(talking economy).
Economical freedom is also freedom.. I think.

'Freedom' is an illusion; its just a tool for the propagandists. People gave up their freedom once they agreed to be governed.

Originally posted by Magnus
'Freedom' is an illusion; its just a tool for the propagandists. People gave up their freedom once they agreed to be governed.

'No arts; no letters; no society; and which is worst of all, continual fear and danger of violent death; and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.' - Leviathan

Originally posted by Magnus
True in a way. Complete freedom (like in theory in Anarchy) is impossible to archieve for mankind. But you can (or could) have a nice amount of personal freedom despite the government.

Originally posted by IceBlaze
Economical freedom is also freedom.. I think.
Also true in a way, or to a certain extend. A communist (like Davo is, I suppose) can say that economical freedom restricts the personal freedom of the individuals (except for the capitalist).

It always depends how you define freedom.

Originally posted by Knight-Dragon
However if I have family......, I think it'll be a harder thing to decide. Until the moment comes, I don't really know.
Having children would make it easier for me. I would have to stand up and make myself be heard as I could not live with myself if I let my child see me be weak in the face of danger.

Originally posted by PaleHorse76
Having children would make it easier for me. I would have to stand up and make myself be heard as I could not live with myself if I let my child see me be weak in the face of danger.
But would you like to see your child suffer for your beliefs or principles? Or even get killed?
And what if the child doesn't share the belief and may even see you as a traitor?

Originally posted by Hitro

But would you like to see your child suffer for your beliefs or principles? Or even get killed?
And what if the child doesn't share the belief and may even see you as a traitor?
Yes, yes, and they should see things the same way as you if you raise them right. Now I am also talking about fighting against an oppresive gov't or even low lifes like the mafia. There are more important things in life than life. If they don't happen to see the same way then my actions still have meaning because my beliefs define who I am.

Of all things worth giving it up for, freedom has to rank at the top of that list.

Freedom of speech.....the free press....are essential to democracy and, as the man said, even if I don't agree with what you say, I would certainly die for your right to say it.

Well now you can understand the americans being so protective against communism ;)

I define freedom the same way castro does
security, safety, education, and good health care

safety is also reliative. if you go out into the streets with a gun and say that the government sux, then you give up your rights to safety under this system.

Gee, I wasn't aware that having a gun whilst making such statements was required for losing your rights to safety.

Please elaborate on what level of health care and education Cuba provides.

I guess I shouldn't question freedom in Cuba, I've never been there. I leave it up to the Cuban Americans who came here in makeshift rafts. Perhaps they have a different perspective on how Castro defines freedom. For counterpoint we can check with American Cubans who have made a similar raft ride.

I define freedom the same way castro does
security, safety, education, and good health care
What about the four freedoms essential to a democracy: Freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, and freedom of association. Castro doesn't allow any of those.

:lol: I'm trying to picture Cubans jumping on makeshift rafts to cross shark infested waters on their way to a refuge camp to... escape good health care!

On a completely unrelated note, why do you have a link to the American Democrats in your sig... we're not that far left ya know?

Top Bottom