How fast have you won RTW?

What is your fastest RTW Imperial Campaign victory (50+Rome)?

• Before end of 264 B.C. (7 years or less)

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Before end of 255 B.C.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Before end of 230 B.C.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Before end of 200 B.C.

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Longer than 200 B.C.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I've played, but yet to win, a long Imp. Capaign.

Votes: 18 38.3%

• Total voters
Drakan said:
The imperial campaign is holding 45 cities, not 50. And I don't believe anyone can finish it in 7 turns. In 7 turns you can not even move a unit from turn one in Rome to Babylon. Nevermind conquering and battling etc.... ;)

Anyway, I play RT Realism mod in VH/VH and by 250 B.C. I can take out 45 provinces at ease playing casually (that's like 30 turns more or less). But in RTRealism turn one starts at 280 B.C. which is 10 turns earlier than RTW vanilla which starts at 270 B.C. IRRC.

1 year = 2 turns. 7 years = 14 turns. 280BC - 250BC = 60 turns.

You are quite right Salty Mud ;) , I stand corrected, I just checked it. I had forgotten that feature.

Just loaded a game with Macedonia VH/VH (RTrealism mod) and by 263 BC I had 32 cities/provinces under my control, including Rome.

It's been quite some time since I played I should polish up my gameplay in preparation of M2TW. Cheers !

Drakan said:
You are quite right Salty Mud ;) , I stand corrected, I just checked it. I had forgotten that feature.

Just loaded a game with Macedonia VH/VH (RTrealism mod) and by 263 BC I had 32 cities/provinces under my control, including Rome.

It's been quite some time since I played I should polish up my gameplay in preparation of M2TW. Cheers !

Your welcome. ;)

When you use diplomacy to start your empire, it is often not done by physical moe of units. It is done by negotiation. If you can keep peace, then you can "chain" reaction the contacts. For instance, if you contact the Gauls, obtain their spanish province(s), you can meet a spanish diplomat and make relations with them, and some deal(s) too. You would never have time to make and transport and move a unit all that way in early game.

Another chain is Greek... they can chain east-->west or west-->east. From the accelerated start, you immediately use your power to intimidate, and wealth to conquer in more than one thrust at the same time. :)

Starlifter, I can't get my diplomats to do any good deals. Is there an article on using diplomats effectively? I just can't get them to do anything I want. Guess I am too much a warmonger lol.

When I get the AI to bribe the city to me, the city is garrisoned with bad units and the next turn the faction that sold me the city comes with siege gear and a lot of units and declares war on me and takes the city.

When I get the AI to bribe the city to me, the city is garrisoned with bad units and the next turn the faction that sold me the city comes with siege gear and a lot of units and declares war on me and takes the city.

That sucks :sad:

I have played only once as the Julii, and finished just before 200BC. Quite a long time considering I got about 30 provinces within about 15 turns. But, alas, rebellion occured in many of my provinces, and I lost a few in the process. See, at this time I had little knowledge of the game and went for a mass hoard of troops, not thinking about leaving men behind to keep happiness around 100%.

But hey, here's to learning !:goodjob:

I prolong the campaign. I enjoy defensive battles, especially with stone walls. I just sit on the walls and massacre the enemy before they even reach the walls. But if I get the message "You are about to lose" I haul a$$ and wipe out cities inhumanly fast.

I play Rome Total Realism.

I prolong the campaign. I enjoy defensive battles, especially with stone walls. I just sit on the walls and massacre the enemy before they even reach the walls. But if I get the message "You are about to lose" I haul a$$ and wipe out cities inhumanly fast.

Heh, I love having prolonged defensive roles too. Just leave lots of archers as your garrison, and sally forth within a few turns of their initial siege started before they get a chance to build any decent amount of siege weapons (unless of course they have onagers and the like).

I haven't beat the game yet but in my current game I am the Greek City-States...

Greece... I wouldn't call it a conquest Civ. However, it is a beautiful Defencive Faction. I've had a city seiged 3 times, the garrison is never bigger then 300, the enemy army is always over 1200!!!

The thing about Greece is that, no matter what Hopite you use, it always works. I'll set three up at one point where the enemy uses Rams (The city is surronded by a Wooden Wall, and sometimes I only need one hopite.) When the enemy breaks the wall. I swarm the bastard. They cant get through a wall guarded by spearman, its great. I've taken Sicily, most of Greece and I've even conquered the Scipii Faction of Rome. Its a great game. Finacially I'm doing crappy though.

Any chance I might beat the game before 200 BC?

Greece should be the faction you can win the fastest on. You are very rich and the you can take Messana, Halicarnassus, Corinth, and Larissa on the second turn. I just started playing a game as Greece and I captured five cities in the first three turns. Yes it is possible to finish before 200BC. I've never finished an Imperial Campaign because when I capture 30+ provinces, I get bored because I win too easily.

Greece should be the faction you can win the fastest on. You are very rich and the you can take Messana, Halicarnassus, Corinth, and Larissa on the second turn. I just started playing a game as Greece and I captured five cities in the first three turns. Yes it is possible to finish before 200BC. I've never finished an Imperial Campaign because when I capture 30+ provinces, I get bored because I win too easily.

If it should be the fastest then I must suck...

I didn't concentrate on taking Turkey and the Wonders... Instead I fought to control Sicily and Greece, I've recently conquered 3 of the 4 Roman Factions (I own Brutii, Scippi and the SPQR) I'm at war with Julli, Pontus, Egypt, Macedonia, and Carthage. I've survived and Im the dominant military power. So am I doing good or do I suck?

If it should be the fastest then I must suck...

I didn't concentrate on taking Turkey and the Wonders... Instead I fought to control Sicily and Greece, I've recently conquered 3 of the 4 Roman Factions (I own Brutii, Scippi and the SPQR) I'm at war with Julli, Pontus, Egypt, Macedonia, and Carthage. I've survived and Im the dominant military power. So am I doing good or do I suck?
What year is it in your game?

225 BC

I just recently took the Julli Capital and destroyed Macedonia.

Egypt is my main problem. They control all of Egypt, Isreal, Syria, Cyprus and most of Turkey, I just took a city in Turkey from them (An amazing victory, I had 300 they had 1200, I had a lack of cavalry and still won) Im trying to start a coalition to destroy Julli (Im trying to get Brittania and Germany to help) Its rather hard, so how am I doing?

I think you're doing fine as long as there is no Marian Reforms for the Romans. Egypt will be tough. Use your phalanxes to beat theirs and use you militia cavalry and peltasts to beat the chariots. Just don't get flanked by their desert axemen.

I think you're doing fine as long as there is no Marian Reforms for the Romans. Egypt will be tough. Use your phalanxes to beat theirs and use you militia cavalry and peltasts to beat the chariots. Just don't get flanked by their desert axemen.

I dont think I have much to worry about from the Romans anymore... I just took Patavuim and connected my Greek and Roman Areas. And in Patavium I now have access to Onagers, Julli production seems to be at 0, and I have control of all his original cities.

As for Egypt. I was gonna launch an Invasion from Rhodes but I lack a really good Navy (Not from lack of trying but this whole game I've been at war with at least 3 factions at a single time) Im going to try and capture all of Turkey, so far its going so well.

I think my big weakness is that I wont usually send an army without a family member, and even then I'll usually garrison Captured towns with my main units and fill ranks with Marcenaries (Though, its going quite well)

Im going to knock out Pontus, take all of Turkey then curve along Isreal and head straight into Egypt. Does this sound like a good idea.

Top Bottom