How fast have you won RTW?

What is your fastest RTW Imperial Campaign victory (50+Rome)?

• Before end of 264 B.C. (7 years or less)

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Before end of 255 B.C.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Before end of 230 B.C.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Before end of 200 B.C.

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Longer than 200 B.C.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I've played, but yet to win, a long Imp. Capaign.

Votes: 18 38.3%

• Total voters
Good luck attacking Egypt. They are one of the hardest factions to fight against if you're Greece because of their chariots and bowmen. They are easy to deal with if fought separately, but they are hard to take out together. Your cavalry is very weak so if you try to use them to attack the bowmen, the chariots will rip them apart. If you try to use you hoplites to attack the chariots, the bowmen will kill most of your hoplites before you reach them/

If remember correctly it was 16 turns playing the Huns. I doubt it being possible to win faster than that. I went straight for rome dodging all armies. Then I took all core Roman cities. My only limiter was the speed my troops could walk. The west Roman cities where pretty much undefended in the south and I went round the coast into Iberia. If I remember correctly I went over into Africa and kept going along the coast sending reenforcements via boat from Rome, or I just went in two directions.

I met virtually no resistance anywhere. That early in the game West Rome has nothing to defend itself with. They're broke and on the verge of collapse. Easy pickings.

I played the whole game only to see how fast it would be possible to win the game.

This is a good thread. Very good. What an amazing thing to learn! I read this, and figured out what starlifter was talking about, and he is right.

I have tried it using ver 1.5 (Imp/H/H), and after changing theway I think, and doing much taking of notes and planning, I have taken 51 provinces (39 by diplomacy), then Rome... in 14 turns (7 game years), as Brutii. He is right that if you plan it, you can take most of Spain for instance, by taking most gaul provinces first, then making a diplomat, and talking to Spain. If you have any war, any at all,,, if you fight any human,,, if you are attacked by any civ,,, then many, and usually all, others will not trust you. Naturally as in all war, deciet and lies are key. You must lie to the enemy, and promise to pay them huge money. And of course, you have no intent to, and when you fail, it will be war and they will try to take the provinces you bought back. The battle for Rome was full stack and massive, but fought outside the walls of Rome. Massed cavalry + generals rolling up their open field right flank from the rear turned it for me :).

Now I want to try it with other civs, including nono-Roman civs. Now that I have a better idea how to conduct diplomacy, and how to extract money from I am wondering how fast it can be done with Britain, and with Scythia; I think maybe 10 to 12 years (20 to 24 turns) for those, due to the long distances, and difficulty in preventing way war or attack by an aggressor for that entire time.

Oh, and I see what you mean about the Generals, that is amazing how powerful it is to be able to choose the location you want your generals to be constructed! That was a key to being able to fight the crucial Rome battle in so short a time, with less experienced troops against those well trained SPQR troops. It was the huge number of controlled provinces versus the generals that I now understand guarantees those promotions; I have never though of that, and had never grown so fast to even observe that effect before.

It is true, the pen is mightier than the sword, though as in real life, the world must ultimately be won with the sword. As foretold in Revelations, the final battle,,, on the plains of Megiddo,,, literal Armageddon.

Who would have thought I would learn about RTW after joining a Civ site! Thank you starlifter.

I think the fastest I've gotten was a 250~ B.C. ending by doing a blitz on Gaul and Spain as the Julii in vanilla RTW.

For EB and RTR, I usually take my sweet time.

That's weird how people have beaten the imperial campaign in 14 turns considering the fastest campaign ever won was on M2 and he played for 24 turns.

How can you finish a Imperial Campaign in 14 turns?

It is impossible to finish long campaign in 14 turns.

This would mean capturing 3 - 4 new regions in each turn...

RTW has the easiest campaign in the series, its easy to make a lot of money

Not when you play as Armenia on VH / VH.

Now I want to try it with other civs, including nono-Roman civs.

Try Armenia on VH / VH. Difficult but fun to play.

But before you get better units (like Heavy Spearmen, Cata Archers / Catas, Horse Archers) you can get frustrated in battles.

On VH battle difficulty you have morale & damage penalty and enemy AI has morale & damage bonus in battles.

Imagine your Eastern Infantry with morale penalty (in addition to their already low morale). :)

In search of the perfect game, I got a few steps further than I thought would be possible. With Greece, I won in 266 BC now, at Medium difficulty. Attached is a guide for that. Try for yourself if you like, if you do not believe it. But be patient, and prepared to try some things over and over again, until you got it right. Like capturing Messana in turn 1. Or Rome later on. Anyway, be free to use my guide, which is attached to this post. I think I will try with Carthage now. Probably can get the win in 265 BC. It is possible with Carthage to get Rome in turn 2, which is really a great start of fast expansion in Italy.

Curious who will try this and improve...

Attachments

• RTW 50 regions with Greece in 266.pdf
    165.3 KB · Views: 372
I only ever play VH/H and diplomacy is more or less useless at that difficulty so I don't think it's possible to win in 14 turns, maybe on Medium or Hard campaign difficulty this works.

Top Bottom