Votes: 22 16.8%
  • Not that important - If a lose a well-played game, that's OK

Votes: 73 55.7%
  • Not important at all - I play just to play

Votes: 27 20.6%

• Total voters

Kyroshill

Huh?
So I was wondering, do you play to win exclusively... or are you more of an immersion player just looking for a little escapist fun?

I never played any civ just for win, i always played civ just for play.. just to simulate alterantive long run history line in eatch of my games

I NEVER play to win.. I play for a variety of other reasons... or with other goals in mind but I never play to win. Civ, for me, isn't about being good or winning.. it's about having fun.

I chose kinda important. I've actually never lost a civ game, since I don't use the highest difficulty levels. In Civ 3 quited a game if it seemed impossible to win (I pretty much played civ3 until I got civ5, since I didn't like civ4 that much) but in civ5 I've started not to care that much.

I wouldn't say I use exploits to win though, I just reload occasionally if some war that I declared doesn't go as planned and needed more preparation.

I've played since CIV 1 and have found that what I want out of a game of CIV has changed as I've grown up. I played Civs 1-3 as sandbox games, content to play on lower difficulties and build my imagined empire. With Civ 4 I began to see the game more as a test of skill, gradually working my way through to the highest difficulties. Now I would rather push the envelop and lose than have an easy go of it and win.

I like to play huge, marathon, higher difficulty games and I rarely finish them. If I know I am going to win I stop, or I if i am getting beat, I try to see how well I can survive. I played the same way in CIV 4 . I often just have mini-goals when I am playing the game, and many of those may be counter-productive to winning the game.

You forgot the option "I quit when it seems sure I'll lose"...

:lol: I quit if I get dog-piled and there's no way round it ...

OTOH I quite often also stop when I'm obviously going to win :)

No suitable answer for me.
I often reload to avoid some local misluck (getting a map from ruins or losing a battle which was promiced to be a win).
But I never use anything I count as exploit (never attack a Civ I sold a resource for immedeate gold).
Rather often, I quit games where something went wrong (bad starting position or some silly mistakes by myself) because I see no point to play up to obvious lose.
Generally, I play for both win and pleasure of process, it's hard to divide.

I never reload for losing a battle/wonder, though I admit that a few times I've rage-quit after losing 3-4 wonders with 1 turn remaining. generally very tough games are the most enjoyable for me. if I'm getting stomped I don't like it much, being the stomp-er is more fun. not nearly as much as being the #3 civ but still competitive when nukes start flying, however.

I think I'm in the same boat as most who have posted so far... though I have played games I know I can't win for another 100 or so turns just to see if I pull off some miracle... but there does hit a point where I may just give in...

I do use the occassional exploit... rare, but it happens.... then again... if I mess up and move a key unit somewhere he shouldn't have been, and he dies... I'll keep going... chalking it up to leader error/miscommunication/soldier error or whatever (even if it's a simple mis-click)....

If I get beaten to a key wonder... I just plan to try to capture that city (doesn't always work)...

The point of this (albeit flawed) poll is just to get an idea of player psychology when playing ciV.... it's hard to know where others are coming from when discussing differences of opinion on CFC... and some of it is the players' mindset

I'd rather have a fun game than a game the usual boring wins. In the end the win is unimportant because I look forward to the experience of playing; the fun should be in the playing not only in winning. In my mind there is difference between reward and winning. Therein lies a huge part of CiVs problems. It is a game (with an AI) that is focused on winning AS a reward. Yet this doesn't create for very compelling game play for many people as a lot of what you do (short of winning) can be frustrating or boring because there are so few tangible in game accomplishments that cant be undone by either a bad mechanic, and AI cheat or dumbass AI. For example I spend 200 yrs building a good relationship with my neigbour and out of the blue he/she DoWs on me and by winning the war I become a pariah, lose the investment in that relationship, by economy is tatters as is my diplo and trade.. what is the reward ???

The problem with CiV is it is too much of a war game in the end where you win by having the most and all along the way you stumble through roadblocks through game mechanics that are, in some places counter logical or even idiotic. Yes, in the end you "beat" the game on Deity but have you really had fun??

Seeing the poll results - it seems like folks really want more fun in the journey that gives sense a "gee that was fun / that was cool" rather than "ah well I beat the craptarded AI again of super ultra-god-deity level using the latest interwebs strategy of doom proving I am the child prodigy my parents thought thought I was."

Rat

You can't "play to win" without re-loading constantly and abusing exploits? This poll is weird.

I love playing a losing game. Theres nothing like being surrounded on every front and trying to hold out as long as possible until ultimate doomsday. It was the first time I actually went autocracy.

why does this poll assume that if you win you are cheating by using exploits or reloading?

Top Bottom