Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Kinda important - I selectively use exploits to improve my chances

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • Not that important - If a lose a well-played game, that's OK

Votes: 73 55.7%
  • Not important at all - I play just to play

Votes: 27 20.6%

• Total voters
I know... the answers are loaded in this poll... I kinda did that on purpose.... just a few polarizing answers.... it's only a first experiment :)

The 1st answer is meant to be "win at ALL costs" even if that means reloading console game style... if at first you don't succeed, go back and re-do it until you do....

Later I'll try another poll to tease out some more detail in gameplay desires...

:scan:

"Not that important - If a lose a well-played game, that's OK"

Exactly how I play :)

Interesting thread question. When I play, my sole aim is not to win, but to have fun. It just so happens, however, that I have the most fun when I win. If I lose a game, then the chances are that I didn't really find it all that fun. This makes me less ambitious with my difficulty settings, but it also results in a maximised amount of fun on my part, so I can't complain.

I always tend to play just to play. But if I end up falling into last place about halfway through I usually restart. I feel that wars maintain the balance of power a lot more in CiV than in CIV at least from what I can remember. I don't think I was at war nearly as much than I am now.

No suitable answer for me.
Generally, I play for both win and pleasure of process, it's hard to divide.

Same here. I play for mainly for fun and secondarily to win. When it's obvious that I'm going to win but it's just another so-so victory and there is not much fun left to continue, I usually quit.
I only play to the end if it looks like I'm going to have a very good game and might beat my previous best score.

It's very important to me, but I don't reload or use exploits.

Seeing the poll results - it seems like folks really want more fun in the journey that gives sense a "gee that was fun / that was cool" rather than "ah well I beat the craptarded AI again of super ultra-god-deity level using the latest interwebs strategy of doom proving I am the child prodigy my parents thought thought I was."

This was hilarious :lol:
I like to play games that gives me challenges but not solely challenges in a technical playstyle manner. I play the game for enjoyment and the game rules are to win. Thus I often get bored with games that I will likely win unless they pose any unique fun challenges. Just like in IV, when you play at a difficulty that challenges you, some games can require immense use of microing, planning and quasi-exploiting and to me this is where fun ends.

In a recent game, I wanted to go Samurai-mongering and built my early empire for this purpose, sacrificing infrastructure. I had no Iron within my borders nor any that I could easilly achieve. I accepted the challenge and played the game until somewhere around turn 290 when the game started going so painfully slow that I got bored. Rifle beeline had saved me from destruction and I don't remember if I was winning or losing, only that I played on too big map settings for my system.

In my last game it was clear quite early I might have a chance at diplo win (friendly with everyone), Alex destroyed my chances of a diplo victory by CS-mongering so when I actually could research globalisation I would have given him a win. So I annexed a couple of his "pet-states" in my vicinity, made some enemies in the process. Next up challenge was scientific-militaristic powerhouse Cathy who build Apollo project when I was an era behind. Now a new objective occurs in my game and I have to stop her as I deemed my chances of outproducing her spaceship progress to be low. Nukes solved the problem, and as I am becoming unpopular now only conquest remains. I am going to show the world that Piety, Order and Freedom are the only acceptable values. Die infidels. Sometimes I quasi-roleplay or make fictional objectives to make games more interesting.

If I am losing or winning is not actually important as long as I am interested in the game, so I only continue playing for a win when going there is still fun... The same applies in a losing game either by game objectives or actually getting destroyed. If losing is fun, I keep going.

If I lose interest in a game, I restart, probably with a Civ I have not played before, likely trying to explore new parts of the game.

It is rare for me not to disable every possible victory condition.

I am going to disable Space Victory as a standard from now on. The current model of science and economy in V favours the dominant empire, small economic/scientific powerhouses are not really viable as it was in IV. Every time I have had the chance on Science victory it has also meant I had to crush the dominant empire who was trying to get a space win before myself, effectively meaning that I am viable for Conquest victory whenever I am for Space victory.

Time condition also make little sense, and is not realistic to achieve when future era hits in the 1500s. If you against the odds play for all those turns, why would anyone want a "win" based on the notice that you have statistical advantage? To me, that is the same as quitting when you have the biggest score, completely ignoring if playing is still entertaining or not.

I play to win but I rarely finish games in Civ 4 or 5. I also don't cheat the AI/exploit. Once I get to the point where I know I'm going to win I just start a new game. I like to play on marathon/huge map and after that point playing is boring/meaningless. I only keep playing if I'm losing. That and the game constantly crashes later on.

Terrible options on the vote. There is a huge difference between playing to win and being ready to cheat.

I play to win, I won't reload (except the map on the first turn). I won't use exploits. I find winning important.

when i'm sure to lose, i quit...
Not that i'm a sore loser, but i don't take fun in playing a lost game (and i play for having fun)...

For winning games, on the opposite, knowing you're going to win is one (fun) thing, winning itself is another (fun too), that's why i almost always get to the victory screen when i'm going to win.

I agree it misses the "quit when game is a sure lost" option. In a way, we all play for fun, but the way we get fun can be expressed in different manners (winning "at all cost" is just a way of getting fun for some people)

I don't understand how one can play civ as an "escapist" game. I voted for the third option as the fun of civ games is to be challenged and achieve a satisfying win (without cheating, exploitations and cheesy wins). If I lose because of choices that I made, that is fine too and I learn from them. I can't imagine myself playing horsey on a Knight and thinking I am talking to a real person from history. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom