How is the AI ?

Given the maintenance costs and how easy it is to rush-buy, shouldn't everyone (players and AI) just build a massive army when war breaks out, instead of maintaining large stacks all game?
I maintain non-upgraded units ;-) and it's also additional stability = additional influence, which can be nice to have before wondrous luxuries come into play.

I maintain non-upgraded units ;-) and it's also additional stability = additional influence, which can be nice to have before wondrous luxuries come into play.

Good points. I also keep my non-upgraded unit stacks but hadn't thought about building extra units for stability.

On upgrading, I've noticed that it costs the same to upgrade no matter what the starting unit is, so it's even better to keep troops non-upgraded.

Given the maintenance costs and how easy it is to rush-buy, shouldn't everyone (players and AI) just build a massive army when war breaks out, instead of maintaining large stacks all game?

Probably. I think it would require the war support system to slow way down, at least half the score change for winning/losing battles and having cities occupied. Most late game wars last 5-6 turns with so many opportunities to win a battle. It might also require the AI to be programmed to use spies to find and monitor their rival's mobilization and then match it with their own.

But realistically, I think the AI would just need to be given the gold (or programmed to prioritize producing with yield modifiers) to maintain a standing army. I upgrade prior to war, but generally float a large unit maintenance cost throughout most the game.

Top Bottom