1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How is this acceptable?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by HorseshoeHermit, Nov 2, 2014.

1. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Also, it's not 39% of the people who bought the game; it's 39% of the people who wrote reviews. People who are disappointed or upset are more motivated to write a negative review than the people who are content and playing the game are motivated to write a positive review. I haven't written a review. Volunteer polls and reviews overemphasize extreme points of view; they're not statistically valid.

Clearly there are issues with the game, and the reviews reflect that, but to say that half the people who bought the game don't like it is just plain false.

2. Resipsa

Resipsa King

Its a single player game; how could you be so narcissistic to believe I care what you think about my enjoyment of the game? Last night I stopped Elodie 1 turn from winning a transcendence victory she was a runaway finishing the mindflower around turn 200. I used several Destroyers, LEVs, Battlesuits, Infantry, Armor, and fighters (for interception). I've never used that diverse of an army in Civ5 before every unit had a role to fulfill.

3. Rellin

Rellin Norrathian Gnome

I thought the game was amazing and really fun at first as well. I then played more games, and won easily, and saw just how broken the and unbalanced the game really is. The AI, oh my, the AI.

4. Joch

Joch Warlord

It's actually even less than 39%, 1550 players wrote negative reviews. If you read a sample, many don't say the game is bad, they just recommend not buying it now, i.e. waiting for patch/DLC.

The only number that matters is how many are playing the game, 36,000 at peak yesterday according to STEAM. 1550 represents less than 5% of current active players.

If you want to know if BE has "legs", just check the Steam game stats. If the number of players is stable 1-3 months from now, then DLCs/expansion packs are garanteed for the next 2-3 years.

5. Rellin

Rellin Norrathian Gnome

I highly doubt this game will hold a high ranking of active players past the next few days/weeks unless there is a major patch released that fixes the AI issues. It will drop massively in the next few weeks.

6. TheHanzou

TheHanzou Chieftain

On the plus side i was so angry at myself for buying this game after playing it for a few hours that i went and bought Endless Legend, a game that i would never even have considered if BE would have been decent.

Basically, we KNEW what we would get, we knew it. There was enough material out there, but most of all, there were streams and playtroughts on youtube and twitch of several real hours of gameplay. There even was a demo announced that would have saved the money for those who are unsatisfied now.

The thing is, we forgot how bad Civ5 was at release, all we knew was how awsome BNW was. Firaxis had a good trackrecord with Xcom and G&K/BNW, i trusted them. Well the trust is gone now, i feel dumb for pulling the trigger on the preorder....

So thx Firaxis for making such a bad product that i got to seriously look into its competetitors. So, how is Pandora?

7. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

This thread makes me laugh, it's so much like the threads we saw back when civ 5 launched in 2010. I put civ 5 down around the time that BNW launched, and I was surprised when I came back a few months ago at the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the finished game. Even the forums went from extremely negative, to relatively neutral with G&K, to very positive with BnW. I expect the same with BE, there will be a bunch of QQ about the initial lack of polish/ease of vicotry/etc, then a few patches will fix some glaring issues, then, eventually, it will become a solid all-around game. Until, I guess we just need to be prepared to put up with some complaining.

You guys are lucky, my steam account was locked for the first week of BE. But I couldn't buy the game then combine my "new" steam account with the "old" one once they unlocked it (which they FINALLY did 3 days ago). I've played enough to know that I'm happy with my purchase at least.

8. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

This thread is about the practice of 'pre-selling' games.

Should you buy a game before it's released based on your enthusiasm for the game developers past works?

Maybe.

But I'm not going to anymore. Period. I've drawn a line in the sand and that line is 'wait for reviews'.

No more 'but we'll give you a shiny thing if you let us screw you'.

Nope. I'm done with that.

9. Mozzington

Mozzington Prince

I don't pre-order games from any devs other than Firaxis out of appreciation for their past efforts...however the last two base game releases have just been horrible...it makes you wonder how they can balls it up so much to not include a completed production notification. Who are these guys working there?

Bottom line is there is an interesting element to the game and they will fix it in time.

10. Civking5

Civking5 Prince

i am a big fan of civ5 and civ:be. However, since you are asking for competitors, I like to strongly recommend latest paradox games; Europa universalis 4 and crusader kings 2. Amazing games.

11. Rellin

Rellin Norrathian Gnome

CK2 before EU4 IMO!

12. TLHeart

TLHeart King

It will drop as the new wears off, massively as you claim, I doubt that...

and there are so few CTD issues being reported, I give firaxis a thumbs up.

Those that are happy with the game, spend their time playing the game, not on discussion boards saying the game is crap.

13. Rellin

Rellin Norrathian Gnome

Let them play a few games to completion, move up the difficulty a time or three and once they realize they are just hitting next turn 240 turns to 330 times per game with little risk of ever losing while not actually getting better themselves or facing any sort of challenge to overcome and feel good about AND then we will see what they are doing. That is, playing another game or complaining that Firaxis needs to fix their game. I put in a good 40 hours in the past week, maybe more, and am JUST now coming to the forums to discuss the game at all.

I DID enjoy those 40 or 50 hours, I really did, but it was near the end of my last Apollo game, and definitely once I won it, that it is just too damn easy. I thought I had gotten very lucky or maybe did very well at first, heh, yeah, well, no, the next few games confirmed that it just poor balance and broken AI.

14. TLHeart

TLHeart King

and you just proved my point...

one apollo win, and you come to the conclusion the game is broken.

15. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

CTD? Crash to desktop? If that is what you mean, you better be joking. This game has more crashes than any game I have played in recent memory. Many people cannot even start it up or just crash after the intro movie.

16. TLHeart

TLHeart King

then they are not reporting it....

Not one single crash here, almost none being reported in tech, or bugs....

17. s0nny80y

s0nny80y Emperor

200 hours? Jeez...Im only at 116 hehe :)

18. Aeson

Aeson orangesoda Retired Moderator

As you say, the core game concept is fun ... just you need to find a challenge in it. The AI probably isn't going to do that (though it could certainly do better). To various extents that was true of all Civ games.

There are lots of ways to implement a challenge yourself. Play without Trade Routes and/or Affinity 4 units. They're likely going to be nerfed anyway so you're just ahead of the game. Always war or XCC if you need more challenge. Or play to better your best victory times.

19. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

Steam has two stickied threads about it. One with 1300 posts, and the other 760.

I personally could not play the game for the first few days because it crashed 100% after the movie. Now it crashes about 80% of the time, so I can play if I bruteforce it.

Firaxis ALSO posted themselves about these issues, so I have no idea what you are talking about. Seems you are just being a blind fanboy.

Moderator Action: Please read the forum noticeboard - calling another user a 'fanboy', or insulting them in any other way, is not acceptable.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

20. melloyello

melloyello Chieftain

I like the game so far (haven't played much though). I expected bad AI, but my biggest complaint is the aliens. I haven't been able to piss them off. The other civs get upset, but the aliens randomly decide if they want to attack me or not. I expected them to give a damn if I destroy all their nests.