How is this acceptable?

On the plus side i was so angry at myself for buying this game after playing it for a few hours that i went and bought Endless Legend, a game that i would never even have considered if BE would have been decent.
So thx Firaxis for making such a bad product that i got to seriously look into its competetitors. So, how is Pandora?
I disagree strongly that BE is a bad product, I had issues with it even running until I found the conflict with Razor Synapse but now that I can play the game I am having lots of fun.

Yes as in any 4x game the AI needs work.

Pandora came out first and is a decent game and very similar to BE but does not have the depth that the Civ franchise has.

Endless Legend like Endless space before it, though a well polished game and fun, does not have the depth of a the Civ franchise. I got bored of endless space much sooner than GalCiv2 or SotS. I have gotten bored of Endless Legends and feel that BE will last longer.

Steam has two stickied threads about it. One with 1300 posts, and the other 760.

I personally could not play the game for the first few days because it crashed 100% after the movie. Now it crashes about 80% of the time, so I can play if I bruteforce it.

Firaxis ALSO posted themselves about these issues, so I have no idea what you are talking about. Seems you are just being a blind fanboy.

you do realize just how small of a percentage those numbers are of total games sold?

you do realize just how small of a percentage those numbers are of total games sold?

Because everyone who bought the game posts on the steam forums... :rolleyes:

Just stop defending what is obviously broken, already. You only make the game worse with your denial.

Moderator Action: Please do not attack posters by either blaming the state of the game of them or not seeing things the way you do.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Endless Legend like Endless space before it, though a well polished game and fun, does not have the depth of a the Civ franchise. I got bored of endless space much sooner than GalCiv2 or SotS. I have gotten bored of Endless Legends and feel that BE will last longer.

That might very well be, but i paid less than half of what i paid for BE and right now i like it more. Unless they release a lot of free content im not going to buy an expansion for BE.

For now I'm still having fun, though I'm feeling like I'll drift back to Civ V soon.

I was thinking the same thing.

I'm just trying out a few more different things in BE and then I'll set the game aside for a while or at least until the first major patch. It needs a lot of work and Civ V is too good to go un-played for much longer!

Anyone who bought this at release deserved what they got. You should have known this game was going to be garbage at release, as possibly forever. We can hope they fix it, but who knows.

but this is what people do and which is why game companies will spend a lot on making an intro CGI video and marketing but won't spend money on actual playtesting and polishing the games, because hype sells games, being actually good is more a secondary factor.

On the plus side i was so angry at myself for buying this game after playing it for a few hours that i went and bought Endless Legend, a game that i would never even have considered if BE would have been decent.

Basically, we KNEW what we would get, we knew it. There was enough material out there, but most of all, there were streams and playtroughts on youtube and twitch of several real hours of gameplay. There even was a demo announced that would have saved the money for those who are unsatisfied now.

The thing is, we forgot how bad Civ5 was at release, all we knew was how awsome BNW was. Firaxis had a good trackrecord with Xcom and G&K/BNW, i trusted them. Well the trust is gone now, i feel dumb for pulling the trigger on the preorder....

So thx Firaxis for making such a bad product that i got to seriously look into its competetitors. So, how is Pandora?

LOL. Nope. I didn't forget how bad Civ V or Civ IV was on release but I pre-ordered anyway to support the designers. In fact Civ BE is in much better nick than I'd expected. No crashes for me and very few game-halting bugs. It really is very poorly balanced but that will get fixed.

If Endless Legend is floating your boat, stick with it. As for Pandora, pick it up. It's really cheap. I would really like to hear what you think of it and how it stacks up with Civ BE ;)

One of those threads again ?
They are enough unhappy thread you can use instead of creating YOUR VERY OWN.
And it s always the same , they are a bore with zero argument.

Even if the percentage is small it does not mean it's insignificant. They don't use 100 000 people in statistical survey to get opinions of 100 000 people. They use 500-1000 people and have statistically correct answers about opinions of 100 000. Yes, those people complaining in steam-forums or here are not randomly selected, but the point is you really don't need that many people complaining about something.

Why does this matter then? In their current form Firaxis is not trying to make best games possible, but only to make games that sell as much as possible. If you are happy of their current producst, good for you. If you want better games, you give the company feedback. If they don't take the hint, you stop buying their games and hopefully enough people do this so they get the message.

Its a terrible score for a Firaxis game. Civ IV and Civ V have around 95% positive feedback.
Interesting how overwhelmingly positive this is compared to metacritic user scores :
Civ4 BtS : 97% on Steam, 8.9/10 on Metacritic.
Civ5 BNW : 99% on Steam, 8.5/10 on Metacritic.
while...
Civ:BE : 61% on Steam, 5.8/10 on Metacritic.
(SMAC : 9.1/10 on Metacritic. SMAX : 7.0/10 on Metacritic (ok, 4 reviews is not statistically significant at all), GoG rating for both : about 5/5)

Must be because on Steam there's only YES/NO as a choice, while Metacritic allows for 0-10/10.

The number of people playing the game at a specific moment are not directly relevant to game quality, otherwise every single 4X game besides Civ5 (too early to tell for Civ:BE) is a failure, and Civ5 itself is a failure when compared to the likes of DOTA2.

I'm waiting until the first patch to spend much time on it. Just like every other game that Firaxis has come out with in recent memory, it's going to take a patch or two to get things in an agreeable place.

It is quite obvious that we can't really compare the stats as it is. The other games had years of time to gather these votes - and in the case of CIV5 we saw a significantly improvement over time.

Still: If a game gets such mixed reviews on release (and has a pretty huge difference between press and player score) it is a good indicator that it has problems. I rarely visit MetaCritic, but if I do I am always careful when I see a huge difference in scores and investigate *why* that actually is the case. Just don't take numbers as the universal thruth. :)

Even if the percentage is small it does not mean it's insignificant. They don't use 100 000 people in statistical survey to get opinions of 100 000 people. They use 500-1000 people and have statistically correct answers about opinions of 100 000. Yes, those people complaining in steam-forums or here are not randomly selected, but the point is you really don't need that many people complaining about something.

Why does this matter then? In their current form Firaxis is not trying to make best games possible, but only to make games that sell as much as possible. If you are happy of their current producst, good for you. If you want better games, you give the company feedback. If they don't take the hint, you stop buying their games and hopefully enough people do this so they get the message.

and firaxis is one of the few companies that does listen to the fan base, and does improve the game from the feedback.

Those with a complaint are 10 times more likely to voice the complaint than people who are happy with the game, proven over and over with all types of surveys.

And if you understand just how many different configurations of computers and software there is, a company could NEVER test every one, before release, they would never get to release the game.

There will always be people who complain about a new release, because it does not live up to the preconceived notions, or expect it to run on their old machine.

and 2000 complaints is a statistical non event, within a world wide release.

Yes it is a big problem for those who have the game wont run, and firaxis has answered and is looking into those problems.

Its really a matter of reading between the lines and knowing the industry a bit. Civ BE reviewer scores are in the lower eighties. That's just a hair's breadth from the ugly seventies, where no one wants to see their game on release week. To me that's usually a sign that reviewers might have scored the game lower but were hesitant to do so because a well known company is making it. And Firaxis marketing was particularly aggressive this time around. That marketing puts bread on the table of those reviewers.

And this is all besides the usual paid advertisement reviews a la IGN. Those don't even factor in and aren't worth discussing. I'm talking about self censorship and giving a company with a good reputation a free pass.

So you get a review full of superlatives and praise with major flaws evident to anyone and everyone actually playing the game glossed over or simply not mentioned at all and a grade that suspiciously lower than what the written word would have you believe.

When you get used to that borderline deception it becomes rather obvious.

User reviews are skewered the other way around, more towards the people who were disappointed with the experience, but overall, they're usually more valuable (in aggregate).

Moderator Action: The reviewers aren't here to defend themselves, so please refrain from attacking them.
What was meant was accusing them of taking money without backing it up and not the content of the reviews themselves.

and firaxis is one of the few companies that does listen to the fan base, and does improve the game from the feedback.

Those with a complaint are 10 times more likely to voice the complaint than people who are happy with the game, proven over and over with all types of surveys.

And if you understand just how many different configurations of computers and software there is, a company could NEVER test every one, before release, they would never get to release the game.

There will always be people who complain about a new release, because it does not live up to the preconceived notions, or expect it to run on their old machine.

and 2000 complaints is a statistical non event, within a world wide release.

Yes it is a big problem for those who have the game wont run, and firaxis has answered and is looking into those problems.

Most people with issues would not even post.

Not sure why you are defending the obvious problems. We want this game to get better, and that can only happen if we accept and fix the problems. Pretending they do not exist will not make them go away, and will cause this situation to repeat itself in the future.

Most people with issues would not even post.

Not sure why you are defending the obvious problems. We want this game to get better, and that can only happen if we accept and fix the problems. Pretending they do not exist will not make them go away, and will cause this situation to repeat itself in the future.

did you even read what I posted?

I said,"and firaxis is one of the few companies that does listen to the fan base, and does improve the game from the feedback. Yes it is a big problem for those who have the game wont run, and firaxis has answered and is looking into those problems."

guys stop questioning the moderators. this is not a public forum that respects free speech.

Top Bottom