How is your Victoria Game going?

I decided to try something different - a "what if Queen Victoria decided to try to convert Britain back into an absolute monarchy?" scenario. Because it seemed like such an absurd idea that I had to try it.

Well, it ended (predictably, probably) in a train wreck. The modern constitutional monarchy train had already left the park. Encouraging party loyalty on Reactionary was going slowly both for my tastes and against the desire for reform, so I had the bright idea to research the techs that gave me more National Focuses, to speed up the party loyalty. However, these are also the same techs that increase political reform desire, so it was like trying to fight fire with more fire.

As such, while most of my army was in Canada preparing to take back the long-rebellious Thirteen Colonies, a million Jacobins rose up, overwhelming both my home troops and even the French army, which did its best to help to no avail. Thus instead of an Absolute Monarchy, I wound up with a Democracy, and the loss of my entire sphere of influence. And while I kept the part of India I controlled directly, Britain was humiliated by Scotland successfully gaining independence via a well-timed revolt. Soon afterwards, the North German Federation would take over the #1 ranking in the world.

I'm not sure if I would have defeated the Jacobins even if I hadn't had my army mostly in Canada. With only British troops, I doubt I would have - as it was I'd already shipped a decent number of troops from India to Britain and Canada.

It wasn't all a failure; I did gain New York, as well as the independence of New England, from the USA. And ironically, the Tories started doing a fair amount better in elections after the Jacobins took over. But the lesson is learned - if trying to go for Absolute Monarchy as Britain, you either need to avoid techs that increase reform desire, or you need to keep a very large army at home and avoid getting bogged down in foreign wars when rebels could rise, or quite possibly both. And it's quite likely a fool's errand all around.

My Russia game is on pause in 1923; after the British fiasco, my decision to skip the + National Focus / Reform Desire techs has been reaffirmed.

Party Loyality makes pops vote for that ideology, regardless of their issues.

The effect is rather small at first, but if you promote loyality for a decade or two, you can more or less guarantee that a party of that ideology will start winning the elections on a regular basis.

One of my favorite Vicky2 games remains when I played as Krakow, and used party loyalty to get the Communists in power, with State Capitalism. That let me build all the latest factories (telephones, automobiles, etc.) in Krakowian West Galicia, and my economy took off like a rocket. IIRC, combined with a focus on Prestige earlier, I actually made Krakow a Great Power, despite having only a single province.

Alas, I have been unable to find that save... still hopeful I might someday. But I did find another where I made Abu Dhabi a Secondary Power purely through Prestige, so it's plausible that Krakow could become a Great Power by means of Prestige + Industry. Of course had I played through until 1936, my industry would not have been able to keep up simply due to not having enough population even if fully industrialized, but for a brief moment in the late 1800s, Krakow made its mark on the world stage!

Now the next step would've been sphereing, say, Austria while playing as Krakow. It wouldn't surprise me if someone's done it.

I've been playing France lately, trying to upstage Britain. So far, it's sort-of working. I'm #1 in score, with a huge lead in Prestige, which Britain has fared poorly in, and I've overrun England proper several times. The first war with them was quite the ride, with myself + Russia + Netherlands vs Britain + Prussia + German minors. It was a roller coaster of warscore, with it swinging between +40 and -40 before Russia (the warleader, despite my having started the war) made a white peace. But with some Dutch help, I got the better of the Royal Navy, and that set the stage; nearly all of Africa is now French, with just 3 states going Dutch, 2 British, and 1 Belgian in addition to the already-colonized areas at the start of the game.

I've more or less kept up with Prussia and the USA in industry, with some help by taking rich industrial lands from Belgium and Prussia. Britain is still far and away ahead, and not being the war leader (plus Wallonia costing 100 warscore) has slowed my plans. Still haven't got Britain to release (beyond a Dominion) anyone; they still have the strongest industry. But in terms of real power, they aren't a match for French arms, and by the late 1800s, France + Russia was able to defeat even Britain + Austria + Prussia + Spain combined (although that was also an adventure of a war, with St. Petersburg falling and the Prussians approaching Moscow before French reinforcements from Crimea turned the tide).

Now it's the 1890's; I'm allied with Russia and Communist Italy. USA #3 is close behind Britain; Prussia is respectable, Austria struggling a bit after their latest war, Japan and China strong in the east, and Spain and Italy continually on the edge of Great Power status. Although Russia did gain Southern Zhili from China, so the Chinese claim to Great Power status remains somewhat up to question.

When did that change? I see it was only added to the Vicky II Wiki in February, but I'm not sure if that means it was the most recent patch, or if it was with Heart of Darkness, or earlier. My Krakow game would've been with A House Divided.

Top Bottom