How Long is a Turn?

Rutee

Warlord
I figured this fit in best here, since it's basically a flavor question. How many turns in a year? Or how many years is a turn? I can figure it going either way, really (That is, many years in a turn or many turns in a year), since you could either justify it as "Nearly/very tech was known in the Age of Magic already" or "The Age of Ice completely wiped one out and it's nigh-miraculous that the wonders of the Age of Magic have been replicated as fast as they have been."

Also there's the issue of rulers, since a lot of them are basically just really good mortals (Beeri Brawl, the Lanun leaders), whereas others are basically immortal (Sabathiel). So, color me curious.

Also there's the issue of rulers, since a lot of them are basically just really good mortals (Beeri Brawl, the Lanun leaders), whereas others are basically immortal (Sabathiel). So, color me curious.

They keep themselves alive the same way mortal leaders keep themselves alive in classical BTS.

To me, a game spans 200-300 years.

Turns are a game construct, they don't have a flavor defintion (we intentionally don't lock them down to a specific time period). Much like:

1. The fact that an entire capital city can only work on one thing at a time. "John! Quit practicing with your bow, we are building a monument and will be for the next few years. After that everyone will stop what they are doing and watch you practice with your bow so you can become and archer."

2. The fact that the entire empire can only research one tech at a time.

3. A thousand other things that dont make much sense when you think about them. Like the fact that you have to research animal handing before you can see horses.

John: "Did you see those animals the Hippus were riding? I saw a bunch of wild ones over the hill by our capital."

Bob: "No you didn't we haven't invented horses yet."

John: "Invented horses? Does that mean they are supposed to be hidden?"

Bob: "Yeap, they are to secretive for human eyes."

John: "Oh yeah, they are a mysterious species standing out in the middle of the field like that. What about those little rat creatures that hide under the sticks in the river. Am I allowed to see those?"

Bob: "Beavers? Oh yeah, of course you can."

John (frustrated): "This is a stupid world, its no wonder so many want to join the Veil and blow it up."

3. A thousand other things that dont make much sense when you think about them. Like the fact that you have to research animal handing before you can see horses.

Well, that kinds makes sense - if you haven't discovered the various uses of horses yet, they are of no value to you and you don't think of them as a "resource" at all.

Hm. So I suppose that means that you don't have a time frame in mind for a given game, then? Since I suppose that was the essence of what I'm asking.

Well, that kinds makes sense - if you haven't discovered the various uses of horses yet, they are of no value to you and you don't think of them as a "resource" at all.
Even after being attacked by wave upon wave of Hippus horsemen? You'd think they would put two and two together at some point.

It's probably best to ignore the idea that events in FfH are operating on any kind of realistic timeline. Otherwise, Einion would probably be dead on turn 10.

Alternatively: a wizard did it.

Even after being attacked by wave upon wave of Hippus horsemen? You'd think they would put two and two together at some point.

Well, at some point you do discover HBR.

Alternatively: a wizard did it.

Life magic.

(Mmmm, horsemeat) ;)

In the quote for stirrups, they mention the impact of new tech and how the Hippus used them to shoot bows from horseback...

Sarda; the Wizard that Did

The length of a turn, kind of depends on the scope in which you look.

As far as population growth, the average city seems to grow in 5-12 turns. I imagine city growth as a new generation being born, and maturing to working age, thus providing more citizens. So it really has to be about 16 years. So in this scale, I'd say a turn is between 1 and 4 years

Unit training. I'd estimate the scale to be about 1-3 weeks per turn, given that you're manufacturing wapons for the unit, and having them trained at your military academies.

On a tactical scale, battling, moving units and such, a turn is 1-3 days. Leaning towards 1. Generally, battles wouldn't continue on at night, since you can't see the enemy. So I'd estimate each turn of fighting as a single day, after which your troops return and heal.

When it comes to healing, I'd say the scale has to be a bit longer. Generally, I imagine unit healing as a combination of the surviving units bandaging up, and resting while they recover, and reserve units being brought forward to replace those who are dead, or too injured to recover in a reasonable time. I'd estimate a turn as about 4 days then.

On a construction scale, it doesn't really make sense that it takes 40 years to build a granary. So as far as domestic production goes, I'd estimate a turn as anywhere betweeen 2 days, and a week.

When it comes to wonders on the other hand, I'd say a turn has to be at least a couple of months. Didn't the Pyramids of Giza take something like 18 years to build? Envision it on that sort of timescale.

When it comes to research, taking into account that most research is rediscovering old things, I'd estimate a turn as 2-4 weeks.

As a side note, it seems like slower gamespeeds make a lot more sense, since unit speed isn't scaled. The timescale is a lot easier to reconcile on Marathon. But even still, city growth and wonder building really should take a LOT longer.

Not to mention that in The Splintered Court scenario a turn is less than a day.

My self I always base the scale on who my leader is at the moment, if their immortal then I tend to choose each turn being a year, and if their mortal then I choose a slightly shorter time period depending on what race they are. I know it probably isnt cannon but i see dwarves living for about 200 years on average with older dwarves being about 300-400 with their older life spans the older generations have and what not....Elves i see in about the 500-1000 range but I have zero knowledge on what they actually are and the other humans i see living in excess of 100-150 for x-excuse (magic, living in hell, hardy constitution?)

Top Bottom