Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I love playing a bunch of different civs

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • I play on random civs and will play whatever I get

Votes: 15 16.5%

• Total voters

Diomedes_

Warlord
Looking at discussions here it can be easy to forget that some civs exist, making me very curious about the play rates of civs on VP. I personally have my favorite civs and experiment a bit, but I would bet like half of my games are with just a few civs.

I personally love the Prussians (mod civ), Carthage, and Venice. I don't think I have ever played a game as Siam, Iroquois, Maya, and probably like 10 others. How about you?

Unless I am testing a particular change, I always hit random. Sometimes I reload if the civ given to me is one I've already played recently.
Gotta' play 'em all.

I usually hit random, play a game with a civ, if I found them fun/interesting, play another with them with better planning.
Then back to random.

Middle option for me. When I boot up the game it's usually to try out specific strategies, so I never hit random. And most of the ideas are for a few favorites, so I play them more than the others.

Most except for Venice which I have disabled for years (also disabled shoshone) but yes ofc I have my favorites and 2-3 that I avoid.

Most except for Venice which I have disabled for years (also disabled shoshone) but yes ofc I have my favorites and 2-3 that I avoid.
why you disable them?

A long time ago (before Vox Populi) I used to disable Polynesia, since they would always ruin my chances of being the first to explore uninhabited lands

why you disable them?

A long time ago (before Vox Populi) I used to disable Polynesia, since they would always ruin my chances of being the first to explore uninhabited lands
Venice because they used to just give land to neighbours and boost them.
Shoshone because I dont use huts and that severely nerfs them.
I've disabled songhai because too op on pangea.
I've reenabled austria after having them disabled for a while.

I try to cycle through every civ, any new modded civ or civ that has significantly changed, alternating every game in pursuing a specific victory, so I don't get many similar games. I definitely have some favorites though. Would prefer taller civs, a more peaceful approach (too many wars are a total micro slog for me) and I like diplomatic victory the most. Scotland, Austria, Arabia are probably some of my favorites. I also really like expansionist seafarers like Polynesia.

Interesting! Which civs do you avoid?
Currently just the Huns, the extra border expand when you get a tile doesnt provide authority yields so its more suited for pure progress play.
There are ofc some who are less interesting to play on pangea like portugal, polynesia, carthage and to some extent denmark (which I despite this is currently playing).
Playing warmonger as Dutch and Brazil are a bit counter intuitive and lastly ethiopia is just a bit boring (with a defensive uu on top).
There are still a lot of civs left to play.

Currently just the Huns, the extra border expand when you get a tile doesnt provide authority yields so its more suited for pure progress play.
vote yes on my border yields proposal when voting phase comes up!

A long time ago (before Vox Populi) I used to disable Polynesia
Guys, what do you mean "disable"? You mean you just dont use it, or there is some way you can disable some civ?
I usually set all opponents manually from civz that dont break game, since im trying to learn play on higher difficulty, and some civz snowball more than other, but
honestly if i could just disable all those i dont like it would be awesome :)

I have a plan on a future game with a specific civ before start. I mean, policies, configuration of the map, peaceful/warmongerish etc preset in mind. In VP I especially prefer to gain benefits from the map (like playing England on Carribean sea or Incas on Highlands). Do not consider this as abuse, since I play 6-7 difficulty, and sometimes peaceful gameplay is much more extra struggle than just set whole world on fire. :)

Guys, what do you mean "disable"? You mean you just dont use it, or there is some way you can disable some civ?
I usually set all opponents manually from civz that dont break game, since im trying to learn play on higher difficulty, and some civz snowball more than other, but
Really Advanced Setup mod (RAS) allow you to make more customization of small things.
There were some time that it was incompatible with certain maps (mainly the communitu map) not sure if this is still the case.

I have a plan on a future game with a specific civ before start. I mean, policies, configuration of the map, peaceful/warmongerish etc preset in mind. In VP I especially prefer to gain benefits from the map (like playing England on Carribean sea or Incas on Highlands). Do not consider this as abuse, since I play 6-7 difficulty, and sometimes peaceful gameplay is much more extra struggle than just set whole world on fire. :)
in general its more fun to play with settings that match your chosen civ. for example, its going to be a lot less fun for a mongolia player to play on archipelago than pangaea
besides, playing on difficulty above prince already puts the player at a disadvantage, so i think its totally fine to play with "fun" settings, unless its for a challenge game

You can also plug the following into any xml file to disable a civ.

<Update>
<Where Type='CIVILIZATION_AUSTRIA'/>
<Set AIPlayable="false"/>
</Update>

And just swap out Austria for whichever civ you want to avoid.

Edited to add:

UPDATE Civilizations SET AIPlayable = 'false' WHERE Type = 'CIVILIZATION_AUSTRIA';

This would be the code to add to a sql file.

I play on random (sans Venice), but do y'all realize you kinda play them the same way?

E.g. I hardly ever choose Tradition, and typically take + finish Fealty if I found a religion. Then usually take the Rationalism opener, some Industry, etc.

I worry I struggle on Diety because I'm always trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Top Bottom