How many people will play CIV-GOTM01 ?

I don't think there will be a QSC. How would you possibly score it? Having a lot of cities isn't necessarily a good thing in civ4. Having a lot of techs is great but someone who went for alphabet first would have the most and some strats don't involve getting a lot of techs at all. And then on to production - the guy who clear cuts every forest in sight is going to blow everyone away in that category, while the person who's saving his forests for later in the game might be using the better strategy...

It might not be easy to judge the QSC, but it would be very interseting to hear what people did and also why. I hope a lot of player will write spoilers.

LeSphinx said:
Ambiorix you think QSC will be in c-iv GOTM ?

LeSphinx
Well, you should ask Ainwood, really.

The QSC was invented way back because the first 80 turns were decisive for the rest of the game. Results were measured in terms of tiles revealed, troops produced, rivals met, etc...

While some elements will still be useful indicators in civ-IV, others will need to be revised. Furthermore : if the game is really more balanced now, it may be possible that the first 80 turns are less decisive compared to Civ3. Or maybe we need to consider less turns. Or more. Which turn is 1000BC now anyways ? Probably less than 80 I suppose...

Still, whether there's a QSC or not, noting down my moves and my thinking behind them improved my game more than anything else. So I'll keep doing it and I hope others will too, so that we can compare.

I D/L the program from direct2drive so I'm waiting for that patch. From what it sounds like it does fix the problem =)

nerovats said:
It might not be easy to judge the QSC, but it would be very interseting to hear what people did and also why. I hope a lot of player will write spoilers.

This is the most important. I went from being an OK C3C player to a much better C3C player (never could get fastest conquest) by reading the detailed posts of the best players. I'll be keeping detailed write-ups to post, which I think is FAR different than before because city specialization, building construction, terrain improvements, tech order, etc can all be very different where there used to be a cookie cutter approach before. Hopefully someone better than me can point some things to improve and someone who needs some tips will have an epiphany reading mine.

ah ha

/struggles to even complete the tutorial :D

Good Enough, and the same for me.

Hooked to Civ series since Civ DOS versione, first GOTM.

Wish me luck as well.

I guess it depends on when the first GOTM has to be turned in by. I won't be buying the game until after Final Exams end since I don't want to be distracted. Looks like I will pick up the game sometime around Dec. 14th. Will that give me enough time to jump in? If so, I will play it.

Another long time player, first time GOTM participant here. I'm also really looking forward to reading the posts of the high scorers.

Already started, first GOTM for me, i wish you all a lot of fun, wish me luck!;)
@Psyringe:AAR(first one here,too) already in work!

I did it! I was always exited about the gotm for civ3 but the first one i tried i couldnt get the mod to work for that particular gotm. That was more headache then i was onboard for.

However this was vanila and im ground floor this time. I consider this little social a perk of owning civ4 so thanks.

Top Bottom