How old were you when you first played Civ?

I was 10 when a friend of mine played CivDos on his computer while I watched. I asked a ton of questions and even tried the game out myself. Luckily it was 1994 and civ had just come to the mac with improved graphics and bug fixes, and at a $45 price tag, it's one of the best investments I ever made.

I was wowed by the graphics, innovation, the city view display, and depth of the game. I learned a little more with every game I played and pretty soon I was giving advice to the same friend who introduced it to me! I still keep my apple LVCXII (or whatever it is) around just to play this game.

I started playing it about five days ago. Bought myself the copy online, and when it came in I dropped my homework and went to burn my eyes out. I am fifteen. 06<As you would realize.

I found out about civilization when I was 11 or 12. (01 or 02) I was browsing through a schoolastic catalog that my school got, and it had all sorts of educational games, and I came across Civilzation 3. I was really interested in city building junk. I was addicited to the Sim City series, and the word CIVILIZATION pulled the trigger to my gun. I begged by mom for all the expansions, and she bought it for me, and I loved it, and from the start I quickly learned what I was doing. Then I didn't have a computer or anything, so I was on my dad's computer and he was watching me play like: how the hell did you learn such a complicated game so fast?

At christmas I got civ4, which I hate because the graphics set is extremelly messed up on my computer, so I bought me a copy of Civ 1 to try it out. A great experience it was, and still is.

All and all, Civilization 1 has a special place in my heart of gaming. *sniff*

I believe I was in the 6th grade, on my dads super cool high tech 50MHZ 486 DX/2 with sound blaster 16 and a three button mouse, back in the days of autoexec.bat editing, boot disks and windows 3.0, all the while drooling over the super clean looking mac version of civilization that my friend had.

I think I knew more about computers when I was 11 than I do now.

illram said:
I think I knew more about computers when I was 11 than I do now.
HAHA me too

Im fifteen and I knew more when I was 11, also. I forgot everything when there was the great 'anti internet attack of (Whatever year it was) that screwed me off the computer for half a year. :wow:

11. I was watching my older brother play and wanted to play myself. My brother didn't feel like teaching me how to play so I went on the computer and taught myself how to play. Granted, I played on cheftan and used to go around with one legion and conquer the world with that one unit (If he lost a battle, i used to reload it :)

I've been civving since 2. That's right, two! Now, this was in '93, so I used the ol' Tandy. That intro movie with the Earth being void and all that scared me because the Tandy made weird noises. (Hey, I was two, after all) But after I came out from hiding under the desk, I would play King level because that appealed to me. "Cool! I get to be a King!" Needless to say, I was steamrolled all the time. And I was always near Germany and the Zulu...

I still play Civ I on CivWin. I found a DOS version, but the sounds suck compared to CivWin, which preserves the original sounds. :)

I think I was 12, played it at my friend's house. He had this modified version called "MultiCiv" that let you play the game hotseat, so three of us were playing it. I didn't really know what I was doing as my cities barely had any irrigation at all, however I made a crapload of these low quality cities and managed to build the spaceship first. HOWEVER, back in those days, simply building it wasn't enough as you also had to launch it and wait for it to arrive at Alpha Centauri. So I launched it and then my friend nuked me so bad that my country actually had a civil war and split into two factions, and my spaceship was recalled. I remember I was so mad I quit in a fit.

Later, I would completely learn how to play the game when I got my own copy for Super NES.

Are you serious? MultiCiv!? I've never heard of it. Was it for NES?

Nope, it was for PC. I don't even think it was official. It was the EXACT same game except it was hacked or something to allow multiplayer. All I remember is my friend went into DOS and did some thingy in the command line before loading up the game, and tada, hotseat.

I watched my cousin play endless hours on his 286 about 12 years ago (I'm 23) and became addicted to civ. We had the German version and I was wondering all the time what was meant with the "i"-shortcut. I did speak only a few words English at that time and "to irrigate" wasn't in my thesaurus ;)
I bought CivII and one expansion pack with it and also spent many hours with it. Last year I gave my cousin CivIII as a christmas gift. And now it was me who was showing him all the tipps'n'tricks.
I played CivIV a few days ago for the first time. It ended after 7 hours (spaceship). I think the graphics and especially the soundtracks are amazing, but everything is a bit complex.
After I had "some" trouble on my ATI notebook with CivIV I found the civfanatics forum and saw that there is a CivI-forum. At once I unearthed CivI and I'm playing it right now after 5 or 6 years.
Sorry, I didn't want to write a novel here ;)

So, hello CivI players, greetings from Germany,
urlauber

I played it the first year it came out. that was .. ohh .. hmm that was a long time ago. OK, looking at the file date it says 1991... that would make me 36 at that time. Probably right. (Fits with my memory of the 286 I played it on)

Ah ye, those where the times, when men where men and pixels where real square pixles ;-)

I was probably 7 or 8 when I first started to play it. It was the windows version on a CD, but it's still Civ. I was with an aunt of mine in a pawn shop and I saw it with some other games behind a glass case. I decided I wanted it and begged for it and I got it. Didn't have much of an idea what I was doing at the time, but I got to be pretty good at it. I eventually lost it and the computer I was using broke, and forgot all about it. Although recently I've found it again, and this time, the DOS version! Boy was I happy about that. Been playing it almost non-stop for the past few weeks.

i was 8 i think. im from denmark and didnt even know english back then, but it didnt keep me from playing hehe.
wonderful game. played on an amiga 1200 btw.

about 2, 3, or 4. My dad was the best! I could not win for my first 10 times, but then It clicked with Egypt, and I played it almost everyday since. (now 13)

It was last year - so 18. :) When the actual game came out computers were extremley rare then. I think personal, home computers were forbidden or smthing like that (before the revolution) ...

Top Bottom