How old were you when you first played Civ?

Wow!

This is a fantastic thread. With the exception of Msquare there aren't as many older players like myself as I had expected. This is fantastic! I started playing back in the summer of 1991 when I was 26. I played all the time for about 10 more years, then played off and on, sometimes playing Civ II and other games at the time. I spent much of my time producting mods for Civ II but playing Civ I if that makes any sense. I have a massive game collection, so choosing a game is quite a chore, but I always seem to come back to Civ I. I have a son who is just starting to like TBS as opposed to his Playstation (but I still bought Civ II for PSX).

What a great thread and what a pleasure to read.

CivPartisan

I was 8, got it the christmas after it came out I think 1991? Man that seems a loooong time ago. (I'm 23 now). Civ has been present in my life longer than all the friends I have...

Kia Ora

I first played Civ1 in 1995 (when I was 31) on and off for about 3 years and havent played since. Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of civ1, cos I don't think the shops here in NZ sell it anymore. I have an old PC so it wont play III or IV. I tried Trademe but it must be like hen's teeth to find.

Missing the fun!!!!!!!

Kia Ora mate :)

Civ1 was probably proportionally big in New Zealand. Everybody seems to have played or at least heard of it down here.

Missing the fun huh? Well, www.cdaccess.com has some of the last remaining copies of the game. It isn't cheap to ship to NZ but it's worth it methinks.

Yep, it's pretty much hen's teeth to find on trademe.

I would have played Civ 1 for the first time around 93/94 on a Commodore Amiga 1200 and would have been 28/29. I always used to envy the better graphics used on the PC, so by the end of 94 I had changed to a PC and in 95 purchased Civ 11 for the PC.

In early 2000 I put the PC into storage because of work related relocation and by the time I had resettled down in 2002, it didn't work anymore and was out of date spec wise anyway. I got stuck in to work for the next couple of years before I got round to buying myself a laptop in 2004. When in to the PC shop to buy a basic £600 machine but I saw the Sony Vaio and ended up leaving with that.

Just used it for for Internet/Email, no games, that was until last weekend when I loaded Civ 1 and then Civ 2 yesterday. It's a little bit of nostalgia and yes I have been stuck on it for hours on end and my weekend just seemed to disappear. I seem to be at the older end of the age spectrum judging by the posts so far.

I was about 20 years old and in college when the game came out. I played it on an 286 PC. I have played every iteration since. This is the only computer game series that I really have played and enjoyed

28, in 1995, on a Mac Powerbook 140 with a b/w bitmap display...
Besides of a Mac backgammon game from 1985, Civ 1 was the only PC game (and still is) that I found worth wasting my time.

i was probably 13 or 12. i first played civ 2 on windows at my local library. at first i clicked on the icon not knowing what it was, but i instantly fell in love. in the summer i would just bike over to the library and play. i had no concept of time when i played, i would come out of the library and it would already be night... :confused: ....what the?

I have played civilization 1 the first time in 1992 on a friends computer (I was 17 or 18 at that time). It was the greatest game of its days. I managed to purchase a copy for my Atari ST in '93. (It was a 4 floppy disk version. As that machine didn't have a hard drive you got nuts changing disks... :-D ). When I bought a PC in '96 or '97 I immediately bought civ 2. I still play civ2 for the user made scenario's. I bought civ3 and 4 with all expansion packs when they came out. I think I own all versions and expansions for every type of civilization apart from the expansion which once existed for civilization 1. I even have Test of time, alpha centauri and call to power 1 and 2.

I think i was 8 or 9, I was with a friend of my mum and her son was playing civ, he tought me how to play and let me try...
then, on my 1st computer at 11 it was the first prog installed...

I'm the same age. 1989 kids rule :p

'Cept I discovered civ1 around '02.

I was 14 - played it the year it came out. It was on a CD with 3 other Microprose games as part of a promotional package for a Creative Labs CD-ROM/Sound Blaster (speaker) system.

I would have been in my early 20's, but my kids have now started playing and they are 6 and 8

I started playing this past summer. I was 40 at the time. Pulled the game out of some junk a moving housemate was tossing.

prrr'rrrrrrrr
- BiilCat

Hey,

Fire up that Amiga and get some great screen shots or feel free to donate anything you got!

Post it here in the forums!

:eek:

CivPartisan

I'd like to, though I do not knw how to get Screenshots for the Amiga. *g*

CivPartisan said:
Hey,

Fire up that Amiga and get some great screen shots or feel free to donate anything you got!

Post it here in the forums!

:eek:

CivPartisan

I am 48, and still play it from time to time. But not for the same reason as most of you, unfortunately.
3 days before Christmas 1991, I was 33, and never played a computer game before.
I was at the time in Germany, and just dropped my little girl and my wife at a local airport for meeting her parents at Heidelberg. I was due to join them by road on Christmas day as I had to finish a job before.

When I went back home, it was empty, and I was feeling just too lonely. I went to a friend's home and found him very excited as he had just received Civilization.
We shared the evening trying to undertstand how this game was working, totally unused to video games and amazed by the complexity of what was for us something incredibly "big" and unexpected (we were still with a mind: game = pacman or rubik cube ...)

At the same time that I was having a great time with my friend, and probably in the middle of one of our "strategical" discussions, the Douglas DC3 that was carrying my little family crashed. They were killed with 26 other people and crew.

This made a turn in my life, and from this year, I moved on to a different job, bringing me into many different countries where some sort of assistance is needed. When I left Europe in early 1992, in my bagage I had the civilization 1 that my friend offered to me, just telling me "you had a good time with it, it will help you having more good time and forget a bit...".
Since then, I play this game, from time to time, as it has not for me the same savor as for all of you (I hope), and simply brings me back in time, like an old friend, softly.
It was long ago now ...

Top Bottom