1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How old were you when you first played Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by BlueBMW, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Joseph Goebbels

Joseph Goebbels Chieftain

I was 10 years old. I've played Civ since 1991 when it was released.

2. civilifan

civilifan Chieftain

I was about emm...er... 7 when I played CIV II. Incredible!! :king:

3. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I was around 13 years old when I first played Civ. It was on a school's IBM computer running on DOS (or was it Windows 3.1, I cant remember now a days :crazyeye: ).

4. Kunlun

Kunlun Chieftain

I was 13 years old when I first played Civilization. It was 1995 and I played it on a Mac.

5. Mbest95

Mbest95 Chieftain

I started playing in 1992 or 1993. I was 42 or 43 a guy had it on a computer at work and we would watch him play at lunch time. Went out a bought the game and have been playing ever since. Am 58 now, great game, thanks Sid.

6. SCG

SCG Chieftain

I was probably about 21, depending on when in 1991 my friend first got the game. A whole bunch of us went over to his house to try out this new game that as supposed to be pretty neat. About 3 or 4 of us acted like science advisory committee and we thought that having to research 'Ceremonial Burial' was beneath us (I think we were all majoring in engineering or pre-med at the time) so we didn't have temples for the longest time. We also started to find out that this primitive tech was preventing us from getting techs we really wanted. Then one of our wandering units stumbled into a hut and up popped scrolls of ancient wisdom for Ceremonial Burial - we actually cheered and high-fived not having to research it :D

I spent many a night after that shortchanging myself on sleep (if i play just one more turn, i can still get about an hour of sleep before class tomorrow) on my dad's old 286 learning the tricks of trade and railroad and democracy and the sentry bug (i rationalized it as a good night's sleep in the local inn) and the one turn settler work (lots of overtime) :p I did use the mouse, but prefered the keyboard, as a result I still find myself trying to alt-F9 to move the cursor even in other versions of Civ. :blush:

I've since gotten Civ II (several versions), III, SMAC, Railroad Tycoon II and CtP2, playing mostly on Civ II recently when i do play Civ, but i do actually still have my dad's old 286, with Civ I still installed on the G: drive (when we formatted the expansion 100 MB HD, it broke it up into lots of little drives due to FAT 16 limitations :) ) ah, the memories

7. Timothius

Timothius Chieftain

16 years old. I received it as a Christmas present and played that game more in high school than probably any other game I had at that time. ("Space Taxi" on the Commodore 64 was close and might have been more)

8. Grand Dad

Grand Dad Chieftain

I am 72+ now, I was already a old man when it first came out so you can work out my age then :)!

PEACE!!!

9. Justy

Justy Warlord

Well I wish for you to enjoy many more Civ releases. :goodjob:

10. HaJiMa

HaJiMa Chieftain

-----

11. Kernal

Kernal Chieftain

I think I was around 11 when I first played.

My parents got it (Civ 1 for Windows) when I was 6, but they wouldn't show me how to play or anything, they just said "It's really complicated". Eventually I started to resent the game because my parents would hog the only modern computer playing it, but over time (and after playing games like SimCity and Age of Empires instead of just Mario and Zelda) I became more and more interested in the game. I started reading books about Civ and asking my dad questions about it as I watched him play, and then I started a game of my own with him explaining what to do and why. Some things I picked up quickly, like which units are good to use for what and how to improve the terrain, but it took a longer time for me to understand technologies and governments...at first I just picked technology at random unless it was something I knew was good like Railroad or Automobile.

When I started playing without Dad's help, I didn't know to switch governments and just stayed in despotism the whole game. I think I almost conquered the world once, but I couldn't find the last few cities and eventually ran out of money. I didn't know how to keep people happy other than with lux, so I ran like 90% lux and would buy stuff a lot when I got into civil disorder, so I think I went from 3000 gold to like 100 gold in only a few turns. I knew there was a wonder that let you see all cities, but my research had to be set to 0 around Flight, so I could never get it.

The first time I won, it was in 2095 or something, right before the end of the game. I was so happy even though it was just Chieftain with 3 civs...

12. juz

juz Chieftain

I started playing it this year, when I accidentally ran across it on a free dos games site. Prolly won't play it for long, seeing as I'm going to devry next month:hide:

13. elgado

elgado Chieftain

First played it in '97 on the Super Nintendo -- I didn't have a computer 'til 2000.

Heh, thinking it was similar to Sim City, the first game I played (as Egypt) saw me build a total of four cities all within 2 squares of each other. :D Needless to say, they didn't grow much. I started expanding in the 20th century, building two more cities (both of which had no other cities in their city radius!). The Indians showed up with a few tanks sometime in the later half of the century. When war finally broke out, my brave phalanx units defeated the first, small wave of Indian T-72's. Thankfully, the game ended before the Indian transports could show up again.

14. CheScott

CheScott Prince

Oh man! Shizz, I had to be like 11 or something. I was on the bus to school and my friend was asking me all these weird questions about ancient civilizations and stuff. I finally asked why and he told me about this game he was playing at his Dad's house.

I tagged along the next time he went and we both played all day, one on the mouse the other with the keyboard. Man, we had no idea what we were even doing but it was such a blast.

Played every version of Civ I ever found. Including an unrelated game, by Avalon Hill, called 'Advanced Civilization' and is kind of interesting. Civ IV: BtS is my favorite, though. Yesterday I beat it on Prince Difficulty and got ranked with Augustus Caesar. Woot! Time to step it up another notch. =|

15. revooo

revooo Chieftain

I played the first DOS version when I was about 8-10

16. leandrotlz

leandrotlz Chieftain

My godmother gifted me Civilization for my 13th birthday, I played it on a 286 computer. I have no idea how many years of my life I've spent playing it. I was suffering burnout from my MMO of choice (City of Heroes) last week, and decided to fire up DOSBox and play Civ for a little while. It's still every bit as addictive as it was back then; I'm trying to run games where I just colonize one continent and stay peaceful, but it's hard to do when the darn chinese won't stop nuking my cities!

17. Grand Dad

Grand Dad Chieftain

That's what is so great about it :)! I have never stopped playing it ever since it first came out!! Once a very long time ago it were the Indians who never stopped their Nuc attacks even when they had signed a peace treaty, simply used it to conquer a few other civilization. Until I got tired of using my settlers cleaning up the after effects and began my aggression against them. When their last city was remaining they offered peace tempingly with everything they had!!

PEACE!!!

18. mr_lewington

mr_lewington King

When I was 15, last Sunday I believe. Very glad that I'm able to play it, it's a superb game.

19. void

void Warlord

Since last Sunday! Nice! So now you've tried them all (by the looks of your profile). How do you like Civ 1 compared to the later versions?

20. mr_lewington

mr_lewington King

I grew up playing Civ3 so I'll naturally go to that, but this game is right up their, probably tied. So far I have no complaints with the game, which I find funny because that is quite a contrast of many of the games made now 17 years later.