1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How old were you when you first played Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by BlueBMW, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

Ah, in that case - to answer the question; Civ Chronicles has Civ2 too.

It also has civ3 btw :)mischief:); maybe you'll try that too. :)

2. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

3. Amazigh

Amazigh Chieftain

I was introduced to the game in 94 by our history teacher back in high school.
    Me and some other guys were immediately hooked up and that history lesson was the longest one I ever had :lol: My mom was very worried because I came home 5 hours later than I used too :rolleyes: . From that day on, we would spend most of our school time in the computer lab playing CIV and we will only leave when the school closed. I remember that I wanted a PC only to play CIV, but they were very expensive back then, but I ended up using all my savings on a 386 just to play CIV :eek: .

4. civverguy

civverguy Emperor

I started playing during summer this year after reading that Civilization was very good.

5. Tboy

Tboy Future world ruler

I started playing civ2 in the late 90s when I was about 6-8, when I got it for my birthday. It was probably the main thing responsible for my current addiction to strategy (and other) video games. And world domination...

6. TheBoatman

TheBoatman Warlord

I started when I was 5. I took me few months to find out how the city management worked. I had a german version, so for some time main part of my german vocabulary was from civilization (useful words like code of laws, granary or chivalry).

7. Whelkman

Whelkman Phantom Taxman

In 1993, when I was 13, I bought for my 386 SX/25 with 2MB RAM the same Creative Labs multimedia "super kit" Chieftess mentioned, which included a Sound Blaster 16, a proprietary 2x CDROM drive, and a generous helping of quality, if not cutting edge, titles. Civilization was included on a Microprose CD along with Nighthawk: F-117A Stealth Fighter, Railroad Tycoon, and Silent Service II. Retrospectively it seems ironic to include Civilization in a Creative Labs package seeing how Civilization must have the buggiest Sound Blaster driver of any major title, though the inclusion of games on floppy seems even more bizarre.

From the compilation, I was most involved with Nighthawk, giving the other games no more than a cursory overview until one day when my friends visited and horded my new Pentium 90, spending most of the time on Civilization. Though I was familiar with similar games such as Sim City and Populous, I didn't "get" Civilization right away; it seemed slow, complicated, and unforgiving. Gradually, however, it became arguably my favorite game of all time (hope Final Fantasy Tactics doesn't find out I've said this).

I played the game regularly/religiously for 2-3 years. Nowadays I crack Civilization open about once a year on a dedicated DOS/Win 3.11 WFW machine not too dissimilar from the aforementioned Pentium 90 (which I also still own), dump too many hours into it, and subsequently get burnt out, usually mid-game when I'm micromanaging 50 cities and 45 fast settlers. Repeat a year later, though I'll resume a midterm play-through assuming I don't identify a fundamental error or inefficiency.

8. Aneurism

Aneurism Prince

I first played Civ when I was 20 (1995) and I bought my first real computer in my first year of college it was a Pentium 75 with 16MB of ram and a 1GB hard drive, and this was very impressive at the time because most people still had 386-486 computers. A friend of mine lent me a copy of the dos version of civ1 which I actually didn't try for about a month because I was inundated with new games, once I gave it a chance though I was hooked for life :D. Shortly after CivNet came out and I bought it. Once CivNet was out me and 2 other friends would have entire weekend LAN games of CivNet, those were fun times (crazy cold wars and crazy made up justifications for wars, as well as elaborate chatbox treaties :D). I have been playing the game steadily, at times in a controlled easy going way and at other times near 'drop out of college' type fanatical stretches. There was a lot of multiplayer CivII with my friends, plus probably my most hours logged with Civ on CivII.

Now I play civIV on my laptop during my commute to work on the train and sometimes on my lunch break as well. Getting my civ fix during the commute allows me to live a relatively normal married life despite my civ and general gaming addictions :D. Maybe about once a month I have some friends over for a LAN game which are usually FPS games and stuff, but maybe about 1/4 of the time it is CIV IV lans. Now I'm 32 and expecting my first son (this May), who I intend to teach how to play at the earliest possible age (maybe around 4), so he can grow up to be a civ master :D

9. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

I started playing it, wow, I don't really know, but I believe half a year after Civ 3 Vanilla was released. So I would say around 8 years old.

10. Janook

Janook Chieftain

I was about 4. I would watch my brother play then try it after he had left. I had no idea what I was doing... I would always build the 1st building on the list, never build anything except for warriors... couldn't figure out how to irrigate.. but o i loved it!

11. Grand Dad

Grand Dad Chieftain

I got my first PC when it became available, when I was in my late forties in the mid-1980s. No HDDs, no CDs, no VGA...just bootable 5.25" floppies. first game if I remember was Digger.
    Got Civ early 1991 and have been since then :).

12. Mizar

Mizar IM

I got my first computer 1991 and Civ was the second game I played (after Dune II, the first real-time strategy game) :old:
    I've been playing until now and must say that every version has it's own charm :)

13. Izipo

Izipo Hardcore casual gamer

How old was I ?
    well, if I remember correctly it was 91' or early 92', so I was 18.
    Didn't own a PC at that time, I played it in college in-between classes and during lunch period. A friend had got me a copy (on 2 3'5 disks, I'm sure I still have them). I already loved MicroProse games, one of my all-time favourites was Pirates! on the C64, so I gave it a try.
    It's funny, I remember vividly my first game : As the romans, I didn't understand the game mechanics (who would?) and finished in 2100 with 2 cities and 3 units :lol:
    Got hooked though, and been a civver ever since. Wow, 16 years now... No one is getting any younger.
    Anyway, these games have been, by far, the ones I've played the most and enjoyed the most. Second to that is the Heroes of Might and Magic series and Sim City.
    Funny, it makes me want to try it again...

14. Joul Ironhand

Joul Ironhand Ya rly!

I first played the original Civilisation game when i was 8 (i think).

The first time I ever played, I was wiped out by a mass aztec invasion force of modern armor/tanks.

To this day, the aztecs still have an immense hatred of me.

15. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

13 :) Even though I had no clue about it

(I'm 14 now, gonna be 15 in Sept.)

16. trada

trada civ1 mod Retired Moderator

14? That means this game was before your time right? Wow, that's just scary. I'm not that old!

17. thordk

thordk Prince

when has it been released, 91? guess i've been 11 then :D

my cousin has been the only one i knew who owned a ibm compatible (well, actually his father was) and we spent hours playing all of those nice little games on this monster (a 286, rather outdated even for 91 ^^). when civ came out he bought it and i watched him playing it for about 5 minutes before i rushed home and nagged my parents till they replaced my c64 with a 386sx25 (the deal has been: i'd pay quarter of it, about 250 bucks, by myself) and a copy of civilization :D man did i love the manual ^^

18. stwils

stwils Emperor

How old? I don't remember. But I first had Civ2 and did not like it or understand it's concepts.

Then a computer gaming magazine came out promoting civ3 and included a
    Civ 1 for Windows on a cd along with other demos and such.

I've been hooked ever since.

Also bought Civ 1 DOS on ebay, but now I can't play it on my XP computer.

But Civ Win is enough for me.

stwils

19. Whelkman

Whelkman Phantom Taxman

DOSBox does the job.

20. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

I was a late-comer to civ. I was like 9 or 10. :blush: