1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How old were you when you first played Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by BlueBMW, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Diviner

Diviner Prince

it was 94, i was 6

we watched dad playing a colourful game with my little brother (before that we had only monocrom monitor with two colours). after couple of times we asked him to allow to play it, and he allowed! the first game i remember, was tearing down the enemy (americans, babylonians and indians) with nukes (what the heck is that black thing appearing? ^^), mass of mech.infs and ofc armours and artilleries by continuing my fathers game that was already won by SS :D great!

sadly, i have never been able to play any civ game that much. i am only prince/king level player in civ1, and regent/monarch in civ3.

2. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

Lemme think back. I think it was 1995, I would've been 8 or 9 at the time. I got a civilization/colonization combo pack. I really wanted to play colonization, but it didn't work on my computer, so I had to play civilization all the time. Lucky me it wasn't the other way around.

3. egeria

egeria Chieftain

5 years is young to play CivDos. Woah!

Must have been 91, so 10 years. "It was the best time of my life." haha

4. Nylan

Nylan Characters Welcome

Civ2 at the age of...12, was it? Maybe a little later. I was raised on Doom (5) and Age of Empires (8) first.

5. Razor2

Razor2 Chieftain

Was about 10 in 1992 when I first played civ1...From then on I was sucked in and a civ fan since then:

1996 Civ2 (was a german edition...man, that sucks)
    2001 Civ3
    2003 C3C
    2005 Civ4
    2006 C4W

6. Kranden

Kranden War is the real diplomacy

I was about 5 or 6 when I started playing the first civ. Before I had any good games I had crap like Reader rabbit and some educational games my brother decides to hook my up with wolfenstien 3d And CivI I've been playing CIV ever since and now Im teaching my brother to play civ4 Better!

7. Siyahamba

Siyahamba Chieftain

After not seeing anyone else mention CivNet I was beginning to think I was the only one who bought it. :lol:

I was 12 when I first played Civilization. I never played any of the higher levels though. :blush: I think I'll go back and do that.

8. alcaras

alcaras Warlord

11 or so :)

9. pavel1269

pavel1269 Chieftain

i was 5 ... brother was playing it and i wanted too :p

10. AbsolutePower

AbsolutePower Chieftain

i was prob 5 or 6 and would just sit and watch my older sis play. i had no idea what was going on or what to do when she let me play it but it facinated me. ive been hooked ever since.

11. meifire

meifire Chieftain

I think I may be the oldest one that first played Civ.
    It is 1996,I was 22,just graduated from NanJing University and was hired by a IT company. I got an old 486 notebook computer. What game can I play on it ? I searched my floppy disks (copyed from my classmates in the university) and found Civ I ! I have watched my classmates played it on a mono monitor all night,So I tried it . I played chieftain level the first time,and finally conqured the world after several months.Then , I fell in it .

12. noushina

noushina Chieftain

Not even close. I think it was around 1992 or 93 and I was 37 or 38.

Every now and then I turn it on and spend a few hours at it. My pre-teen kids laugh at me. I don't care. Love this game. Don't care for the later versions (never tried ver4). Love that Map editor that Dack made too. That Excel map editor was pretty cool too.

13. Al Capone

Al Capone Warrior

I was 4, with me it was the other way round, my dad offered me to play and 'taught' me. Ever recognised that mostly men play it, maybe because men seek power more than women do

14. jprc

jprc My dog is smarter than me

there are different kind of "powers": Being charming, convincing, diplomat is also power... :love:
    I would rather say "maybe because men seek domination more than women do" if you allow me... :salute:

p.s.: concerning your signature, I think I saw somewhere in civ a tag saying "do a genocide and it is a statistic". Good "logical" sequence...

15. Flak509

Flak509 Warlord

when i got civ1 for my amiga i musta been 13 and be being 27 now gets me to 14 years of civ games, thru civ1, colonization, civ2, civ3 and no civ4 for me its too cartoon like

hell i played my civ1 so much i had to get an extra copy from a friend because i had worn down my 4 discs hehe

16. CivPartisan

CivPartisan King

I think more than anything from reading the posts here that civ seems to be generational...I mean...father's teaching their children to play civ...how cool is that! What a way to get to play civ for the first time! ;)

I'm not sure if I look at civ as a game of domination or even power necessarily--you can play competitively as a race to get technology and build a spaceship too...or see it as a chance to change history in a scenario under different leadership...or circumstances...and diplomacy works in civ- you can use spies to steal all of the technology build a spaceship and only have 5 cities throughout the entire game. :goodjob:

Of course, I like to use nukes just for the fun of it...I have to admit, there is nothing more cool than the first time I heared those sirens and saw that animated explosion! :)mad: unfortunately the first time was when the French used nuclear weapons against my only city when I was still trying to figure out how to play the game- that kinda sucked and pissed me off too :lol: ).

17. Sian

Sian Emperor

pff ... i think i most have been ... 5 or 6 years old (back in 91-92) ... though it was first later i saw the point in buildings (cracked out nothing but military)

18. terror2000

terror2000 Chieftain

I remember playing this game when I was 6-7. I had no idea what the hell this game was supposed to do, or what the aim was. We had a computer in the office, with civ installed (no idea who put it on it or who played with it (other than me), there was no manual or anything to go with it, it was just installed). Civ didn't recognize the mouse (or maybe there was no mouse), and all i ever did was found a city, then it created a warrior (or militia it was called i think), i started to explore with it, then it made another one after a few turns, and so on until i was exploring with about 5 of them, which amused me for some reason, but only for an hour or so, then i got bored. I didn't see the point in the game (but i always felt there was more to it than just exploring with icons....). But i was persistent and kept exploring when ever i had a chance to play on the computer. Until one day (after a few months) I discovered the CTRL - I, hot key and i could enter the city screen. I'm hooked ever since :)))

19. Theov

Theov Deity

10 I guess.
    I think 8 years later, when I picked up the game again, someone opened my eyes about the 'trade' thingies. "THAT's where the money and lightbulbs come from?!"

20. Theov

Theov Deity

Rightly so. Civ came out before the 'you can click on it' era we're living in.