How to Add/Use These New Units

Follow the guide in the 2nd post (the one about adding units to conquests) and when you added it, make it available to the civ you want to use it for. Then, make sure the unit it replaces is not available anymore for that civ.

For example, in my own personal mod I had a billman unit replace the pikeman for half of my civs. I added the billman unit with the tutorial, and I made sure it was available to the bottom half of my civilizations only.

After that, I went to the pikeman unit and made sure that the pikeman was not available for that same bottom half of civs. And you're done!

As two total newbies, my son and I tried ourselves in adding/changing units for the very first time. Three attempts so far, 3 fails. This link in the 2nd post seems to be our solution and what we should read... but the link seems broken. Can someone PLEASE give us the correct link to a tutorial that tells step by step how it is done - for someone who has never programmed anything into scenario files. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Edit: we are talking about editing/modding C3C!

t_x

Last edited:
thank you so much!

i won´t be able to look into this before weekend, but these seem to be exactly the kind of tutorials I may need. ;) one last question, especially @ Civinator - do you maybe even know such a tutorial in German? my boy still struggles with technical terms in English...

t_x

templar_x, as far as I know there is no such German tutorial for C3C. I am only aware about a German tutorial for Civ 3 Vanilla, that can be found here, but it is obsolete in many parts for C3C. That´s why I wrote in the last hour the following (very basic) tutorial for C3C in German language:
Spoiler :

Einheiten einbinden1.jpg

Einheiten einbinden 2.jpg

The text is attached as a zipped word file to this post.

I have a similar problem in my family and that is why I am currently working on a German language / Graphics patch for Civ 3 Complete. More informations can be found here and in the following posts. I hope that patch will be ready with the next version of the Flintlock patch, so an improved German version of Civ 3 Complete and a German translation of the Flintlock patch can be available soon for all German civers, who have some problems with the English language.

Attachments

• Neue Einheiten einbinden.zip
    13.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Amazing! Thanks, Civinator! We sure will let you know whether we could make it with this tutorial.
t_x

2 tries, 2 fails so far... ;) civ programming, and programming in general, is very obviously really not my kind of beef... i fear i am messing up on a so very basic level, most likely the folders. is there any common knowledge (that only i am unaware of) about the two folders that i see there, one in the conquest/conquest-folder and on in the conquest/scenarios-folder?
i will give it another try next Friday or so...
Thanks!
t_x

we cannot get there. i honestly don´t know why, we tried 4 times, following the instructions exactly. or so we think. even comparing the different tutorials did not make us understand where we are going wrong.

but there are 2 questions that transpired while we tried our best that was just not good enough... ;)

1. how does the game find together all the units? does it look into the special scenario folder first, and if there´s nothing there, looks into the vanilla section?

2. i fail to understand what in the C3C section is the role of the \conquest folder and what is the role of the \scenarios folder. there seem to be files and folders in both of them, and i am not sure, why and how the game decides what to show/pick from where. so i tried a special scenario folder in both of them, but to no avail.

t_x

templar_x, unfortunately at present I don´t have the time to explain every detail of the structure of Civ 3. My suggestion, as you are a member of civforum.de, too, is, that there in the modding section of Civ 3 you post a question about adding a concrete unit to a concrete C3C biq (p.e. adding the battleship Bismarck to a special C3C biq or better about the unit that you wanted to add to a named biq and where you were not successful) and I will try to answer this, step by step in German language, so your son can read this, too. A good base for units that are ready for being added to other biqs could be the CCM 2.50 expansion, that is holding thousands of units with their own sound files so no links to other units are needed, that could simply be added to other C3C scenarios and mods.

there are 2 questions that transpired while we tried our best that was just not good enough... ;)

1. how does the game find together all the units? does it look into the special scenario folder first, and if there´s nothing there, looks into the vanilla section?

Yes, this is the case (C3C Scenario folder, C3C mainfolder, ptw folders, Civ 3 Vanilla folders). The same happens with incomplete textfiles (p.e. the civilopedia entries in some of the Conquests).

2. i fail to understand what in the C3C section is the role of the \conquest folder and what is the role of the \scenarios folder. there seem to be files and folders in both of them, and i am not sure, why and how the game decides what to show/pick from where. so i tried a special scenario folder in both of them, but to no avail.

t_x

The Conquests are a connected series of scenarios, something like a campaign of scenarios. This said, I don´t have seen anything where this was explained in detail. I remember, that long ago, when we developed the SOE scenario at CDG and later the SOC site, the loading times of that scenario in the C3C scenario folder were very long (if I remember well, more than half an hour). That´was why we had created special starting save files for the single civs of that scenario, that reduced the loading times to about 10 minutes. I pasted a copy of SOE into the Conquests folder and to our surprise the loading time for that scenario, even without a starting save file was halfed to 5 minutes. I made a post about that find at CFC and it was tried for other scenarios like WW2 Global, that at those times had significant loading times, too, to reduce these loading times for those scenarios, when pasting them into the Conquests folder - but this didn´t work for those other scenarios. The loading times for those scenarios were as long as in the scenarios folder. Until today I cannot explain, why this massive reduction in the loading time worked for the SOE scenario, but not for other scenarios at that time. So I think I am not the one to explain here something more about the difference of the scenarios and the conquests folder. This said, with the current Win 10 installation on my pc I can find no more difference in the loading times even of the SOE scenario when it is installed in the conquests or the scenarios folder.

Edited to put some links in the post and to improve some of the used terms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom