How to Attack Ships From Land

RenderTi

Chieftain
Hi all,

How can I attack ships from land ? (not including Aircraft)

I thought cannons should be able to but they cant...
whats up?

Thanks

Nope, sorry, can't do it. Only air units, naval units, and, I believe, missiles can attack ships. Hope I'm not missing something obvious.

Nope, sorry, can't do it. Only air units, naval units, and, I believe, missiles can attack ships. Hope I'm not missing something obvious.
Nope... that's the list... airpower, other ships and missiles...

However, by default airpower can't sink a ship, only damage them.

Many mods (including my own Wolfshanze Mod) allow airpower to sink ships, including carrier-launched bombers.

I assume you are referring to the Civ3 ability to bombard ships at see with artillery?
Not allowed anymore. Siege units of any kind can only bombard settlements.

Many mods (including my own Wolfshanze Mod) allow airpower to sink ships, including carrier-launched bombers.

Were the B17s launched off Carriers? Or was that... B29 or something else. The Enola Gay, Bock's Car, and James Doolittle come to mind.

Were the B17s launched off Carriers? Or was that... B29 or something else. The Enola Gay, Bock's Car, and James Doolittle come to mind.
No... B-17s were large 4-engine heavy bombers and incapable of carrier operations. The Enola Gay and Bock's Car were even bigger B-29 Superfortresses and certainly not carrier capable.

Now James Doolittle was a squadron commander that led the first US bombing raid over Japan in WWII... he did it with carrier-borne 2-engine B-25 Mitchell bombers... this was a very special mission and very one-way (they were too big to land on a carrier), as B-25s were never intended to operate from carriers (but did under those special circumstances).

When I spoke of bombers operating from carriers, I speak more specifically of single-engine light bombers that were commonly carried on WWII carriers... such examples would be Japanese Vals, American Avengers, English Swordfish or German Stukas.

In my mod, these light bombers can be carried on aircraft carriers, and unlike default Civ4, these are LETHAL to enemy ships.

I don't know about the others, but the Stukas were technically fighters.
And you don't know about the Stukas either... they were DEFINATELY NOT fighters... you need to do some more reading... they weren't ever fighters in any way shape or form from day-1 of development to the end of the Third Reich.

Never intended, designed or built to be a fighter... they were, from imagination to implementation, always a tactical light bomber.

And you don't know about the Stukas either... they were DEFINATELY NOT fighters... you need to do some more reading... they weren't ever fighters in any way shape or form from day-1 of development to the end of the Third Reich.

Never intended, designed or built to be a fighter... they were, from imagination to implementation, always a tactical light bomber.

I've done quite a bit of reading on WWII stuff, and know Stukas very well. Yes, I know they were Close Air Support, my definition of "Fighter" must be way out of whack. Comment retracted.

I assume you are referring to the Civ3 ability to bombard ships at see with artillery?
Not allowed anymore. Siege units of any kind can only bombard settlements.

Yes, thank you...

Kind of sucks though.
Why cant we? Does not make sence

I think it was Civ3 you could use cannons to attack ships if they
were one or two squares away.

Sounds ridiculous.

Just like you could IRL

You can attack a Galleon 50-100 miles away from the coast with a Cannon? I maybe understand modern artillery, but Cannon is just ridiculous.

Sounds ridiculous.

You can attack a Galleon 50-100 miles away from the coast with a Cannon? I maybe understand modern artillery, but Cannon is just ridiculous.

I NEVER said 50-100 miles...

THINK ABOUT IT!!! What are the Ships using to Fire With?!?!?!?!
Cant you have a BIGGER Canon on land than on a ship

Dieee....

My Point is this.

If you can hit land with what ever weapon they have on a ship,
Should you not be able to have the same or bigger weapon on land?

I know I have seen those giant cannons in old forts along the coast line.

I've done quite a bit of reading on WWII stuff, and know Stukas very well. Yes, I know they were Close Air Support, my definition of "Fighter" must be way out of whack. Comment retracted.
Must be... I have a Masters in history, and WWII is my specialty... I've never once heard in 40+ years the Stuka referred to as a "fighter" (and certainly not "technically") in any means of the word. Retraction accepted (and really needed too!).

"technically"
the Stuka was a Dive Bomber
Yes, and technically dive bombers were commonly found on aircraft carriers... In fact, the Stuka Ju 87B model was "navalized" with arrestor gear and other necessities and designated as the Ju 87C. These were built to operate from the German aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin when it was completed (though it never was)... which was my whole reason for including the Ju-87 Stuka as an option for a bomber to fly from a German carrier (the Graf Zeppelin) in the picture above! :mischief:

"technically"
the Stuka was a Dive Bomber

agreed, there were rare instances when the stuka was used as a fighter.. it failed miserably in those instances and was easy prey left undefended....
as a dive bomber it was quite spectacular...

I NEVER said 50-100 miles...

THINK ABOUT IT!!! What are the Ships using to Fire With?!?!?!?!
Cant you have a BIGGER Canon on land than on a ship

Dieee....

The cannon still cannot be realistically expected to fire 50-100 miles off the coast. Or do you expect all the ships to hang out right beside the shore?

My Point is this.

If you can hit land with what ever weapon they have on a ship,
Should you not be able to have the same or bigger weapon on land?

I know I have seen those giant cannons in old forts along the coast line.

The ships can approach the city and bombard the fortifications (although to be fair, shouldn't be able to take down the fortifications completely to 0%). Why would the ship stick around to see what the enemy can fire back at it?

There were indeed cannons that were used to fire at ships, but this was when ships made their bombing or landing runs. Since in this game, there is no retaliation to a bombing of the fortifications, there shouldn't be one at sea either.

Must be... I have a Masters in history, and WWII is my specialty... I've never once heard in 40+ years the Stuka referred to as a "fighter" (and certainly not "technically") in any means of the word. Retraction accepted (and really needed too!).

Thanks for letting me off easy! :)

Nice Stuka model, I really like it. :3
Yeah, stupid me. I should have realized that the Devastator, Vals and Stukas, would be carrier bombers. D:

Do you have a Messerschmidt 262 model? :3

Top Bottom