1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] How to compete with the AI's absolutely enormous armies?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by GenericName1998, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Windsor

Windsor Flawless

It was. I just didn't read what you wrote properly, sorry.

sampsa likes this.
  2. GenericName1998

GenericName1998 Chieftain

Doesn't the binary research (didn't know it was called that) minimize the loss from decimals being rounded down in civ4?

3. GenericName1998

GenericName1998 Chieftain

Allright, those seem like solid tips. It's easy to forget that new cities are also capable of producing stuff (like workers), which I wouldn't be getting if I'm growing the capital alone.

Would you say that preserving forests is also useless? I like to save some non-river forests that are shared by multiple cities for the free health.

I might also be waiting for mathematics too long before I seriously start chopping.

Going into early wars is kinda scary lol. Not to mention that the AI loves to build lots of units (particularly with aggAI), whereas I prefer to invest in my economy first and build units in periodic waves of running theology.

4. Nick723

Nick723 Warlord

Yes - but after the early game the rounding is insignificant in the grand scheme of things

5. Nick723

Nick723 Warlord

I would never preserve forests for health (except perhaps in extreme cases in isolation games, when health can be hard to come by). You can trade for health resources fairly easily, and also generally the health cap is a ‘soft’ cap rather than the ‘hard’ happy cap (it’s perfectly fine to grow into unhealthiness sometimes).

Preserving forests for maths sometimes makes sense, but I’d say only if you’re waiting a few turns for maths to come in (rather than say 20 turns away). Otherwise the smaller immediate benefit is better than waiting so long long for 50% more.

6. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

Yeh, that 20:hammers: very early or 30:hammers: post-math is more useful than +1:health: much much later. Most games can be won already by the time :health: starts to matter. -1:food: due to :yuck: here and there isn't the end of the world either.

7. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

Learning how to take out your neighbor at construction is a very useful skill to have. I have played a couple of games here on emperor, check them out:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/another-emperor-shadow-game-thread.638118/
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/another-emperor-mid-game-attempt.638316/

peaceful REX:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/emperor-obsessed-with-this-toku-start.654215/
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/going-back-to-emperor.646352/

8. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I agree, although this did feel a little harsh
    Spoiler :
    Bad health.jpg

sampsa likes this.
  9. Qactus

Qactus Romani ite domum

That's 28 Mining Inc base hammers :hammer:
    Nice