1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to destroy the Guardian in the new ICEMOD

Discussion in 'Other Civ-Related Games' started by Rocco.40, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

hehehhh
    24 Doom Stars with HF, must have been a lively scenery on the combat screen!

2. Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin Justicar

Feel free to look :) I forgot to include the savegame in the last post, done that now.

3. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

Sweet feast of stuff flying around! Nice.
    And the Antarans with their special interceptors .. wish I was able to mod those blue Fighters.

Won even on 'Auto' mode btw.

4. Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin Justicar

Haha, really? I had set up a careful situation using the cloak and Wait button, with a precisely calculated number of DS aimed at the Fortress while the rest waited for ships to uncloak. But I guess since Auto will take out the Fortress first, just like you need to, and once the Fighters are out losses don't matter much, that makes sense.

Assuming you still skipped round 1 and waited round 2 before hitting A. And didn't add the extra ships waiting at Orion.

5. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

ok to be more precise "partial auto":
    launched everyting at Fortress at the end of round 2, not moving the Doom Stars forward and then auto.
    if you go full auto you lose because one of the MAJOR flaws of auto combat is that it moves all Doom Stars forward towards the enemy, causing DS's to take many big hits right in the face.

6. Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin Justicar

Ah.

My tactical moves did put me right next to the enemy, but that was to take advantage of the instant attacks when launching point blank. I'm sure if I put Damper Fields back on and brought enough ships, I could have a "first strike" clean victory just like with Beams, which is actually kinda cool for carrier ships.

(I really like what you did with the Phasing Cloak, I really do.)

7. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

Sure, if human player does that, he can manoever out of the way in subsequent moves. If a.i. does it, it just sits there like the famous duck, taking all the hits.

yup! :w00t:

8. Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin Justicar

Checked out Proton Torpedoes vs Orion. I brought 16 BBs with Augs, Bscanner, Bpods and Heavy Armor. As I had traded for Megafluxers, I crammed in 5 Proton Torpedoes in each, level 2 refinement (all the way to Interphase Drive), Enveloping, ECCM, Overloaded.

I also had Weapon and Ordnance officers.

With only Neutron Scanners, I had an abysmal miss rate. On one test, 11 BBs firing killed the Orion; on two more, round 1 didn't do it and I had to wait out the torpedo recharge and finish with surviving ships.

After researching Sensors, 5 ships did the job (not counting 2 which died because I hadn't researched for initiative).

Without the officers, pre-Sensors the 16 ships weren't enough, afterwards around 8 would do the job.

Savegame - is 2 turns or so before researching Sensors, so you can easily compare before and after.

To be sure, the only way to lower enemy Missile Defense is the ECCM mod and researching Tachyon Scanners/Neutron Scanners/Sensors? Computers or other tech don't help?

Also, these different scanners don't stack, do they? If I research Sensors, I don't get anything more for having earlier techs?

9. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

Yep, ECCM and Scanners it is .. and scanners do not stack.

10. Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin Justicar

Killed Antares with Torpedoes.

I think you're going to like this one, Rocco:

Torpedo savegames

This contains the above Guardian savegame, a fleet engagement (an easy one, but in case you wanted a quick look at a battle), and 3 different Antares attacks:
    * 4 Doom Stars with Plasma Torpedoes (2 more available if you want them)
    * 6 Doom Stars with Proton Torpedoes (3 more waiting)
    * 9 Doom Stars with Anti-Matter Torpedoes (3 more waiting)
    All turn 415 or so, so there are 3 Harbingers.

All forces are sufficient, but I dare you to claim you won these by Auto ;)

Observations: Antarans are exceptionally vulnerable to torpedoes. Enveloping hurts them with no shields, of course, but also no Lightning Field, and their missile defense blows - Sensors alone remove it, ECCM is not even needed.

Perhaps it would make sense to install a Wide Jammer on the Fortress, or the Harbinger since the Fortress seems to lack room? Especially if you do decide to up torpedoes.

11. neilkaz

neilkaz Chieftain

Not a minimal fleet used here according to research time, but coming off of a very nice start with prompt early war wins to further my expansion, I have just killed the Guardian on T199pw! I'd not thought this possible prior to T200.

My fleet was 5 BB's as follows. A-Armor and RHulls and Battle Pods and Fast Missile Racks. Weapons are 9 MIRV Zeons in the upper weapons bays and 4 of same but with EMG in some of the lower bays. I also had a +15 ordnance leader. I had Neutron Scanner tech to help my missiles. My drive was A-M.

Testing with just 3 of these BB and by removing my leader results in a kill as well! Keeping the leader and using only 2 of these BB didn't provide enough fire power for the kill.

I have new respect for Fast Missile Racks, a tech not normally in my IceX research plans since they take up 50 space and since I want Heavy Armor as much of my defense is based on hard to destroy SB's and it is also very useful to me for later beams ships that plan to hang around in battle for many turns.

12. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

nicely done!

13. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

What special systems were used for the Carta Extremis?

14. Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin Justicar

Inquisitorial Rosette
    Code of Prejudice
    Imperial Blessing
    Sigil of Monodominance

Cough.

I mean, Achillies, Bpods, HEF, HX, PCloak.

15. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

mm, ok - i see the ├╗ber-vessel is 2 space shy for a 1x Hv-AF Disrupter or 2x AF Disruptor.

16. Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin Justicar

After you nerfed AF, maybe. This was in 10n or something around there, and I had 2 AF Disrupters.

17. neilkaz

neilkaz Chieftain

Maybe my memory is faulty, but in 18a this guy seems somewhat easier to kill than 3 years ago. Rocco, if you have time, please post a pic with current Guardian stats. Thx .. neilkaz ..

18. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

guardian_10-18.png
    Right: ICE18 (a bit weaker indeed)
    Left: Older model

19. neilkaz

neilkaz Chieftain

OK I'll have to see when I can make going after it, more of a priority now. With that much beam defense, I can see that I really need a good comp if using beams unless I go Maulers that always hit.

In one of my very recent games a strong AI took Orion somewhere about T258pw. I was involved in a war and couldn't spare the ships to go to Orion.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018