How to know other CIVs attitude towards you?

dickens

Chieftain
In CIV4, other CIVs attitude can be known by values, such as +5, -1 and etc. How to know other CIVs attitude in CIV5?

For one there's the word 'HOSTILE" that shows up next to a civ in the diplomacy overview screen - I got a few of those ;)

Talk to them. Do they scowl at you? Do they insult you, or act snide and sarcastic? Or do they smile at you, and complement your empire?

Talk to them. Do they scowl at you? Do they insult you, or act snide and sarcastic? Or do they smile at you, and complement your empire?

This.

I don't know why people are dependent on numbers.
You can tell by the stance of the leader.

For Pete's sake, Montezuma picks up a sacrificial knife when he gets really peeved at you. If that's not a tell-tale, then I don't know what is.

It really doesn't matter as long as there isn't a clear way to affect those attitudes. Some civs turn hostile for seemingly no reason almost instantly I meet them. They tell my army is too small or my economy is crappy, but it's ridiculous if those are the real reasons. Diplomacy in this game is irrational.

Remember that diplomacy is different in this game than it was in Civ IV... the main difference is that they are in it to win the game, rather than be braindead obstacles in your way. The best way to keep enemies from being too mad at you and to prevent them from backstabbing you is to make yourself valuable to them. Trade them some resources (even if it is a gift) if you can spare it, start research agreements, stand between them and a warlike nation, don't get friendly with too many city states, don't get threatening with your units and DO NOT be weak and unable to defend yourself. Basically you want to make it so a war with you would cost them a lot more than it would benefit them.

Trust me, it is very rational.

This.

I don't know why people are dependent on numbers.
You can tell by the stance of the leader.

We don't really need numbers, but a overview would be nice. It's kind of boring having to talk to all the different leaders + checking other screens for research agreements and so on. With large maps and many civs on it this quickly becomes a pain.

In BTS with BUG-mod you had the smiley in the lower right corner and a easy to open diplo-screen to check most of what you needed to know.

Remember that diplomacy is different in this game than it was in Civ IV... the main difference is that they are in it to win the game, rather than be braindead obstacles in your way. The best way to keep enemies from being too mad at you and to prevent them from backstabbing you is to make yourself valuable to them. Trade them some resources (even if it is a gift) if you can spare it, start research agreements, stand between them and a warlike nation, don't get friendly with too many city states, don't get threatening with your units and DO NOT be weak and unable to defend yourself. Basically you want to make it so a war with you would cost them a lot more than it would benefit them.

Trust me, it is very rational.

Arbitrary declaration of "hostility" to civ you just had met seems anything but rational. Sure, the opponent can't benefit of trading with you, but neither you can benefit of trading with him.

But then again, maybe the developers did realize that a human player always benefits from trades more than the AIs. That's why there are the mechanism of arbitrary "hostility" - it makes the AIs more competitive (NOT the AI that actually declares it, but the others). I'm not sure how great is this anyway.

Hostility tends to come from something negative for the most part... at least I have always been able to give an explanation for it.
England hated me for buddying up with their city state and for choking him in Scandinavia in my game I just finished.
I think the fact that Civs don't like you much more if you Liberate them back into the game is a little iffy tho...

I think the game was designed to be more dynamic. No more "manipulate the AI into X or Y then forget about it". Now you can have short wars and short peace depending on what the AI deems is in its best interest at the moment. Some things are still buggy, but I think the principle is good and will become even better as the game gets patched and refined.

Try this, next time you get into a war, beat the guy, accept his peace treaty with the gold and whatever he offers, then instead of doing the Civ4 thing which is to annihilate him, switch target and go attack another empire, and so on. You will get a huge boost to economy, new cities, and many bonuses from all the peace treaties, and you can always come back to finish them off later on in the game.

We are not even sure that they remember wars and hold a grudge forever like they did in Civ4. For all we know the new AI only acts in the spur of the moment and has no long memory of past events, meaning your current enemy can become your best ally.

Also why always go for a black and white victory condition? Instead of deciding you want domination, play on and see what is the best way to victory. You might wage war for a while, weaken your enemies, then go crazy on science. Later on someone might be near a culture victory so go and kill him. Just adapt to the situation as you go, the new civ might be designed to be more fun this way.

I guess the core of what i am trying to say is : don't expect the new game to work like the old. Try new things and see what happens.

An overview would be nice. It doesn't have to tell me anything I don't know, just aggregate things the game already tells me. I talked to a leader and he hated me, show that. I didn't talk to him in 500 years? Don't change what it shows. Also, agreements between civs are often announced, show those. Don't show agreements I wouldn't otherwise know about. And so on.

I've got an empire to run. I don't have time to sit down and have a face to face with every foreign head of state to find out how they feel about me. Do I look like Henry Kissinger? I should be able to ask the Secretary of State for a quick rundown. The bimbo that has that job in the game obviously just got hired for her looks.

Top Bottom