1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

How Tourism is Calculated and a Culture Victory Made.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Victoria, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. georgjorge

georgjorge Deity Wannabe

Thanks for this great thread! Being new to culture victories, I just watched a youtube video on it where it stated to focus on culture and great works. I just did that, and couldn't ever get any reasonable amount of tourism. Seems I hugely underestimated seaside resorts and national parks...

Which brings me to the question of science. I tried neglecting it and focusing exclusively on culture, which of course doesn't work when you need seaside resorts. How much science do you generally try to get when going for a culture victory? Do you essentially beeline the tech that gives you resorts, and don't care much for science afterwards, or are there other essential things to get? Also, how do you generate the faith needed for building national parks?

2. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Of course that's basically a slower version of conquest victory

3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Initial concentration is on getting your Civ core up but also some consideration should be made for civic eureka's.
    The campus is a low requirement district for culture victories but later science is important (Atomic Era computers doubles tourism) So the strategy I would recommend is concentrate on getting quite a few cities up with good population, ideally after the core more spread out as a colonial power.
    Beeline your museums then your resorts and national parks perhaps building the odd wonder along the way and getting what artefacts/works off other civs as you go.

Things that really help - in no particular order

Computers doubles all tourism
    Civic Cultural heritage provides double tourism for archaeology and great works
    Culture City states and culture natural wonders early
    Civic Online Communities provides +50% tourism to civs you have a trade route with
    Sara Breedlove (Modern Era great merchant): +25% Tourism towards other civilizations you have a Trade Route to.
    Mary Leakey (great Scientist) provides 300% tourism from archaeology
    Cristo Redentor doubles the output of seaside resorts... you can only built 10 so you should have around 100 tourism from seaside resorts doubling to 200.
    Triple tourist points for great music once Satellite Broadcasts Social Policy is active - maybe 60 -100 tourism
    Eiffel tower increases appeal by 2 points so with 2 national parks, 10 seaside and cristo... about another 36 tourism... not so great but tourism.
    the cultural
    Gunboat diplomacy open city state borders if you are in need of their archaeology
    Terracotta army opens all borders to archaeologists.
    printing doubles the vale of great writings - maybe 50 tourism
    Atomic Era Great Merchant that gives +25% tourism towards other civilizations you have a Trade Route to (Melitta Bentz)
    Information Era Great Merchants (Jamsetji Tata and Masaru Ibuka) that give +10 tourism to all your Campuses and Industrial Zones

I have started work on the guide now, should not be too many days but may be missing the odd stat like how much culture a rough rider creates per kill

4. trojan13

trojan13 Chieftain

I can confirm this.
    Just finished long MP game, I played as France and only obstacle to culture vic was America who has the highest culture = domestic tourist. I was in state where my tourist is greater than any other civs' domestic tourist but America and eliminated him, resulting culture vic.

5. mayhemster

mayhemster Chieftain

Another great way to improve Tourism comes when you research Flight, this gives tourism to improvments that provide culture, so:

If you are Suzerain of La Venta you can build Colossal Head
    France - Chateaux
    Egypt - Sphinx
    Sumeria - Ziggurat
    China - Great Wall

Sun Tzu Wu and avl8 like this.
  6. Victoria

It provides some tourism yes, its not a lot unless you break your neck to go that way as it does not benefit from so many modifiers. It is still tourism and will def be in a guide

7. Victoria

I ca confirm that this does not

elitetroops likes this.
  8. Victoria

Not any longer, it must have been a bug I got on a map and made the assumption rather than play test. I just got up to 14 on a large map but I'll try and spam a large amount in a standard game sometime just to double check and will remove from the initial post. Thaks for questioning, always appreciate the queries

9. Fawivm

Fawivm Chieftain

I AM SO CONFUSED.

10. Victoria

This is a necro thread from a long time ago, read the tourism and culture guide instead linked under my signature.
    This thread is a long time ago and was pert of the discussion process for making that guide so not all data is accurate.
    Or just open a new thread with your question.

It may seem confusing because you have a tourism number at the top of your main screen which does not match the tourism each civ gets. This is because the number at the top includes all global modifications that affect all civs like city total and computers but cannot include civ specific modifiers like trade routes or open borders.

Admin/mods can we lock this please.

11. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Yes, thread locked. This is a great example of why necroing threads is discouraged - as the game is patched, thread information becomes outdated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.