How would you improve Civilization V?

I always thought France could get their cultural bonus a tad bit later- like starting in the medieval era. I think one of most powerful parts of France's policy is how quickly it allows you to get your free settler. If they have to wait for medieval, they would still have more culture than everyone else, but it would not be as overpowering as it currently is.

About the civ4 timer it essentially eliminated double moves- if you moved a unit within 8 seconds (believe) of the end of a turn you would not be able to move that unit within the first 8 seconds of the next turn.

Also, I think the fortification bonus needs to be toned down. +25% combat bonus is ridiculous, maybe fortifying a unit should cost movement points(maybe even all movement points)- so that it isn't as automatic a desicion- (currently you should fortify ALL your units to start a turn)

I agree with the GS being WAY too powerful- but an expanded tech tree could(should) make it harder to beeline to a specific tech making GSs less important. I like the idea of cool down bulbing though as well.

India getting a better ability would be nice. Currently none of the other abilities have a penalty in them at all. Currently the indian's bonus is either terrible (like in the types of games civplayers plays), or very strong (in long term games or on huge maps where unhapiness from cities is reduced).

I would like to see the game prompt you one turn before a deal expires- the game should give you a notification, something like "Your trade deal is about to expire" you should be able to click on the notification and the game would pop up the diplomacy menu with the old deal and you should be able to renew the deal so you dont run out of iron for a turn or get thrown out of open borders or something.

Canuck what do you mean by civ4 turn timer? I never played civ 4 multiplayer explain it to me like I have no idea because I don't...maybe even post a youtube video of it or builderftw can with his recording device. And in regards to the lobby maybe there can be separate rooms for each type of game you want to play so you get grouped in with other like players.

Ok back in the Civ3 days we had the same problem with double moves as we do in Civ5, so when the Civ4 beta came out we tried to figure out a way to deal with this. MPers don't generally have any problem with simultaneous moves that is just part of the game and everyone gets used to it. But double moves creates artificial situations were players run the timer every turn so as not to get caught by someone elses double move.

The solution we came up with is that any unit that moves in the last 8 seconds of a turn can not move in the first 8 secs of the next turn. So if a player tries to double move on a city or attack a unit, the defending player has at least 8 sec's to attack first or move his unit to a defensive position.

8 seconds might not seem like much but believe me it made all the difference in the world to MP combat. No more double moves and all the related bad side effects.

CS

My suggestions:

1) Pause in MP game with clock!
2) add to the friend list directly from game
3) Rejoin to last game menu option
4) unhappiness penalty when I use nukes
5) some turns break between GS bulb
6) turn based units movements in MP

I definitely agree with 1,2,3, and 6 would be a good option though I would never place turn based MP myself, I did that in Civ2, the last Civ game not to have simu moves in MP, until a patch came out. But I know some people do want to play Civ like chess.

CS

Here is my suggesion, and perhaps it is the only one they need to implement... let mods work in MP! Then we could do it all ourselves! From what I hear, mods don't work in MP.

I envision... a league where most of the suggestions above are implemented by the players to create a more balanced game. Or the players could draft/pick which mods they want before playing, like drafting civs.

Here is my suggesion, and perhaps it is the only one they need to implement... let mods work in MP! Then we could do it all ourselves! From what I hear, mods don't work in MP.

I envision... a league where most of the suggestions above are implemented by the players to create a more balanced game. Or the players could draft/pick which mods they want before playing, like drafting civs.

I agree. I envision this game happening in the future. Whether it is today or 2 years from now. And now that you mention it.

DRAFTING OF COURSE. Make it so there is a drafting screen before the game starts for civs. Each player/team has X amount of time for bans and X amount of time for picks. Or per pick etc. If there was a ladder in place the best player pick last...worst first. ETC.

1.) Honor tree give you one or two units before great general

3.) Autocracy needs to be tweaked or removed.
4.) Improve code for mulitplayer 4v4 5v5 games...
5.) Pick the tile your culture expands to.
6.) Be able to offer concrete set in stone deals for allies/mercenaries. Such as if you take back a city that I lost and regift it you are guarenteed X amount of gold and X amount of luxuries. Etc.
7.) A “never starve” button in your city so you don’t starve or are unable to pick tiles that will make your city starve that is default on
8.) Ability to do 0 damage. Last time I checked an archer can kill a riflemen or even a tank. Generally that would never happen.
9.) Starve a city by surrounding it with units (sieging) (granaries store certain amount of food as well as create more food)
10.) Embarking units. Only can embark from civs owned tiles. Or takes 2 turns and must chop forest to embark. Must stay on coast either way. For ocean travel create transport.
11.) Docks can be created to speed shipmaking.

I found excellent threads that I will summarize monday morning for everyone:
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?98643-Civ-6
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthrea...would-you-like-to-see-in-a-patch-or-expansion
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthrea...hould-be-possible-to-have-a-negative-treasury
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?116840-Can-the-next-patch-make-the-UN-useful
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?115238-Re-introduce-Airports-Airlifting
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?114609-An-idea-for-additional-diplomacy-options
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?112328-Economic-Victory.
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?71593-Demilitarized-Zones
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthrea...ay-would-you-like-to-see-amp-what-do-you-like
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?99076-50-Civilization-Civ5

Myself and DTA would have been doing this from day 1, if mods were enabled in MP, we had an entire list of stuff that MP needs, including a IRC powered lobby that we could moderate since Firaxis/2K doesn't want to do that, auto game reporting to the CP server, and all the game balance changes that we want to make the game better for MP. But it has been over a year now and even after two MP patches the core MP code is still in need of basic stability improvements. But hopefully we will get more patches in parallel with the XP...

CS

Mr.Gametheory says:
"The game play is too restricted. The Civ V dev team limits production, expansion, conquest, and strategic variety to make the game more competitive. However, this does a disservice to experienced players. For example, instead of making it so there is plenty of time to accomplish everything, there should be minimal time so players have to pick and choose how to spend their time. If the dev team wants to impose a limit, impose heavy penalties if players fail to build something in a city (city goes into anarchy for the following turn), players fail to perform an action with a unit that is not fortified (Unit can’t move the following turn), etc. By imposing these types of restrictions, players are limited by their own talents. By imposing these types of restrictions, they can lower the cost to build units and building, allow more cities on the board, and allow the games to go faster. I should not be penalized for building lots of cities or lots of units, however, these restrictions exist now to give newbs a better chance. Obviously this creates a more competitive league, but it also restricts pros from taking their skills to the limit. In civ IV, a duel could last 10 minutes, in Civ V the average time is an hour. They should be speeding things up."

Gimli writes:
1.Option to switch off instant heal
2.Option for real turn based multiplayer
3.I would like to see more wonder building nations (or bulidings) beside Egypt; and add more national wonders (that would make tall empires more powerfull)

Gimli adds:
1. There is no real alternative to iron at the beginning, you must have it by turn 40
2. Free settler is too strong

1.) Make settlers, workers, and great people appear in cities when taking policies that grant units or receiving great people
2.) Ability to select multiple ranged units and bombard one tile at one time.
3.) Ability to stack units (maybe I don't like this idea)
4.) Be able to chose the number of player in the map in multiplayers. For exmample beeing eble to play a duel map with 4 players
5.) Possibly upgrade chariot archers to horsemen

Myself and DTA would have been doing this from day 1, if mods were enabled in MP, we had an entire list of stuff that MP needs, including a IRC powered lobby that we could moderate since Firaxis/2K doesn't want to do that, auto game reporting to the CP server, and all the game balance changes that we want to make the game better for MP. But it has been over a year now and even after two MP patches the core MP code is still in need of basic stability improvements. But hopefully we will get more patches in parallel with the XP...

CS

HAHA. Let Civleague (CP) modarate all MP civ players. I guess the Civ MP Community Usurpers in the CP management think that they have every right to do so. For the rest of us, that's a NIGHTMARISH scenario; I will write a gazillion compaints to fireaxis in order to avoid that.

HAHA. Let Civleague (CP) modarate all MP civ players. I guess the Civ MP Community Usurpers in the CP management think that they have every right to do so. For the rest of us, that's a NIGHTMARISH scenario; I will write a gazillion compaints to fireaxis in order to avoid that.

Please stay constructive in this thread. I understand that NQ and Civplayers have different beliefs for what the game is but I did consult nq, public, and civplayers players and also forums about this thread. This thread is supposed to promote free thinking and ideas that we may agree on for the improvement of a game we all enjoy playing. I don't want bashing please. In the case civplayers, nq, or some other form of moderater comes to be I am sure they would create different rooms/leagues for different play styles. This is one reason I believe nq and civplayers would exist after a lobby and or built in ladder would come to fruition. I'm not saying not to disagree either if you disagree. Just please be respectful of others opinions/ideas.

In civplayers MP duel and teamer:

Anything free is overpowered eg liberty gp, bulb techs, free +10 food,

river vs no river also op (gold)

Range 3 units: longbow and artillary op , most close games become decided by who got first to arty

Also scout spam is new problem (wall of cheap scouts infront of artillary) make killing a scout 0 movement cost? or like worker scout stays alive and changes ownership?

but in ffa/ cton and nq its very different: The player that makes fewer big city and makes wonders and great sci often wins the space race or rolf stomp with arty.

i agree mods is only way to tailor the rules to suit the type of game.
If i play an expansion liberty war game i NQ ffa, i mostly get outbuilt/ teched by the tradition civ that got an isolated position.

1.) If you plant a city a certain distance away from capital (example each 10 tiles away) at ancient era u get gold penalty and maybe extra unhappiness. Each era u can plant farther and father away. Could also make a policy/building for this. There was a mod actually for civ 4 i remember that had economic power in city. And if u had little power u lost the city to civil war. I don't think it was perfected but made it interesting. Instead of an economic victory. Which wouldn't happen in real life maybe reinact that.
2.) When forests in camps are destroyed actually destroy the camp...do not prompt.

Please stay constructive in this thread. I understand that NQ and Civplayers have different beliefs for what the game is but I did consult nq, public, and civplayers players and also forums about this thread. This thread is supposed to promote free thinking and ideas that we may agree on for the improvement of a game we all enjoy playing. I don't want bashing please. In the case civplayers, nq, or some other form of moderater comes to be I am sure they would create different rooms/leagues for different play styles. This is one reason I believe nq and civplayers would exist after a lobby and or built in ladder would come to fruition. I'm not saying not to disagree either if you disagree. Just please be respectful of others opinions/ideas.

So you think it's natural for Canuck and CivPlayer to regulate a open Civ 5 lobby?

Come on!! This is not to be difficult, but PLEASE be reasonable. I know many people who want nothing to do with the League. They would quit playing the game alltogther rather than to deal with Canuck and CP. So you think it is fair that a large part of the MP community will be forced to deal with Canuck and his minions?
Moderator Action: Don't troll around.

Moderator Action: This please!

Top Bottom