How would you improve Civilization V?

I have a suggestion after yesterday's public FFA - stop "rage AFK!" :mad: (away from keyboard)

If a player stops activity: no unit moves, no tech selections, no building selections, etc, their turn timer gets reduced to a very small number until they start activity again.

It is very frustrating on the higher turns to have to wait for an AFK player's clock to run out every turn... last night in turn 120 the remaining players agreed to scrap because the guy who had the most "points" declared himself the winner 2 hours ago and we never heard from him again... game was set to "complete kills" as well so it would take HOURS to erradicate him.

I know some players who have to leave for a few moments can automake their workers, fill up their building queues and select a higher tech so their civ is not idle, so not all AFKs are malicious. But we get punished for them.

I am sure the NQ group would ban such an individual, who essentially "quit." I didn't play an NQ game yesterday because I could not commit to a long game.

Myself and DTA would have been doing this from day 1, if mods were enabled in MP, we had an entire list of stuff that MP needs, including a IRC powered lobby that we could moderate since Firaxis/2K doesn't want to do that, auto game reporting to the CP server, and all the game balance changes that we want to make the game better for MP. But it has been over a year now and even after two MP patches the core MP code is still in need of basic stability improvements. But hopefully we will get more patches in parallel with the XP...

CS

Just to be clear, I was talking about Mods, and mods are voluntary, no one is forced to D/L or use any mod, these were simply our plans as to what we would offer to the community, things that Firaxis did not chose to offer. No one would be forcing anything on anyone.

Now back on topic.....

CS

I have a suggestion after yesterday's public FFA - stop "rage AFK!" :mad: (away from keyboard)

If a player stops activity: no unit moves, no tech selections, no building selections, etc, their turn timer gets reduced to a very small number until they start activity again.

It is very frustrating on the higher turns to have to wait for an AFK player's clock to run out every turn... last night in turn 120 the remaining players agreed to scrap because the guy who had the most "points" declared himself the winner 2 hours ago and we never heard from him again... game was set to "complete kills" as well so it would take HOURS to erradicate him.

I know some players who have to leave for a few moments can automake their workers, fill up their building queues and select a higher tech so their civ is not idle, so not all AFKs are malicious. But we get punished for them.

I am sure the NQ group would ban such an individual, who essentially "quit." I didn't play an NQ game yesterday because I could not commit to a long game.

This is only problem of NQ Group and their rules. In other games it is no a problem.

I would not expect to see Firaxis provide coded solution to AFK players, that is best handled by peer pressure( ie don't play with players that go AFK all the time) or rules if you play in organized groups.

In CP this has not been an issue in Civ5 though I did deal with it in Civ4, and the solution was just to reload the game, if the player doesn't come back in the 10min he is allowed then it is treated as a drop/quit and processed just like any other quitting player situation.

CS

Maybe an "afk" button. To set yourself as away if you have to leave the computer for a few minutes for the rest room or other things. Maybe with a 10 minute time limit on it before u get booted.

Things to fix:

1. Ability to turn off Natural Wonders/make them less OP

2. Make it playable to have AI's in any games (duel/teamer/cton) (helps certain civs like Greece n Siam)

3. Fix the GTP (lose units if you go into negative for a certain amount of turns like in SP)

4. Tweak the Liberty Tree

5. Get rid of Oligarchy in Tradition (most OP policy in game)

6. Add other things in the game (Metal resource for musket/rifles, and dim the iron capacity from 6 packs to 4 packs, maybe limit the number of times archer/catapults/xbows/artillary/etc can fire, maybe they must be fortified for 2 turns to replenish their supplies?)

limit the number of times archer/catapults/xbows/artillary/etc can fire, maybe they must be fortified for 2 turns to replenish their supplies?)

That would be interesting. I believe that would be akin to having an archer loosing 2 hp every time it fires because hp isn't just a measure of how many ppl you have it also measures supplies. It could get annoying though and it would have to be balanced up with other combat changes.

Things to fix:

1. Ability to turn off Natural Wonders/make them less OP

2. Make it playable to have AI's in any games (duel/teamer/cton) (helps certain civs like Greece n Siam)

3. Fix the GTP (lose units if you go into negative for a certain amount of turns like in SP)

4. Tweak the Liberty Tree

5. Get rid of Oligarchy in Tradition (most OP policy in game)

6. Add other things in the game (Metal resource for musket/rifles, and dim the iron capacity from 6 packs to 4 packs, maybe limit the number of times archer/catapults/xbows/artillary/etc can fire, maybe they must be fortified for 2 turns to replenish their supplies?)

Good points, could you be a little more specific on some of them?

2. What do you mean by playable- less lag???
4. How so? What is wrong with it?
5. I would disagree with this comment- it is very strong for large cities(especially a capital) but it does not make a city un-takeable.

Here is something else that will restore some game balance: YOU chose where the free settler/worker/great person appears at your capital. A choice should be IN THE CAPITAL ITSELF!

It is ridic when a great engineer it appears across a river, delaying your wonder. Or worse, the free settler/worker pops out and is instantly taken by an enemy unit.

Here is something else that will restore some game balance: YOU chose where the free settler/worker/great person appears at your capital. A choice should be IN THE CAPITAL ITSELF!

It is ridic when a great engineer it appears across a river, delaying your wonder. Or worse, the free settler/worker pops out and is instantly taken by an enemy unit.

While I agree with you in spirit I don't think that great people should be able to be picked where they spawn. Just that to give game balance they pop in the city. I just don't know if there is a worker or something in the city then a worker is made and then u get a great person what would happen. That is my dilemma. Maybe in that case it appears outside your city or u pick which tile it pops to through a notification along the right side.

That would be interesting. I believe that would be akin to having an archer loosing 2 hp every time it fires because hp isn't just a measure of how many ppl you have it also measures supplies. It could get annoying though and it would have to be balanced up with other combat changes.

The thing is these turns are based during many many years each turn. So would an archer need to refil? I guess if they are in enemy territory but still it seems unreasonable an archer can't get supplies accross terrain. The only reasonable solution is that if the enemy controls all the tiles between you and your units it then breaks suppply line. Or maybe a supply line is (drawn) on the map once u leave your territory. And if you break the line u lose health/supplies. Though it seems pretty far fetched probably one of the most far fetched thing in the game. But if it works it would be pretty cool. While it makes sense that it would cost more to support an army outside of borders i think gpt is already enough for units. Maybe actually decrease the cost while they are in borders.

What keeps me from playing Civ5 at all is that we cannot play MP in mods. Deal breaker!

Next is having to rely on Steam - I really don't like that, much prefer direct IP connections with my good friends. I could put up with Steam if we could play mods. It's a joke to promote this game as "customizable" then not allow that in MP play! We want to make our own version and play it with each other and possibly share that with others that might enjoy playing our vision too.

I'd just like to be able to reload MP games reliably. I've had to abandon games completely as the reloading often just ends the program. :(

I think the way to improve Civ V is to raise the limit a little on military units per tile or military types per tile. I would not want to go back to the Civ 4 Stacks of Doom approach. Account has to be taken of the geography of the site as well.

Anyway I think Civilization V is an excellent game but as everyone knows I strive for perfection and I wanted to share what improvements in the game myself and others think could be changed to improve the gameplay

a PAUSE button would be GREAT !

after a few hours, it would be nice to be able to take a little break for say 5/10 minutes and then continue

a PAUSE button would be GREAT !

after a few hours, it would be nice to be able to take a little break for say 5/10 minutes and then continue

There was one in civ4 but some players abused it and litterally trolled games pausing them every second.

If you want a break just approve with everyone a reload after a certain time.

There was one in civ4 but some players abused it and litterally trolled games pausing them every second.

If you want a break just approve with everyone a reload after a certain time.

simple solution, make game only pause when EVERY1 pressed pause buttón

most important change I am looking forward for civ 6 (and its been kind of promised for civ5)
In built league/ranking/player monitor system!

a ranking system (which monitors player stats and activity) d fix 90% of civ mp issues.
- people quitting
- people going afk
- people laging
- people sucking

You could just very easily sort out players whom u dont play with. If u dont like playing with quitters, just dont play with people whos stats say they quit often.

Also this system d be kind of self enforcable, when people know they quitting gets monitored they ll just very unlickly do it. Things like "rate the player" or other ideas d just be even better.

simple solution, make game only pause when EVERY1 pressed pause buttón

But what if someone don't? You doesn't solve anything.

A disconnection rate system could be interesting. They could put a little menu saying if this player had quit properly or not. Add a disconnection percentage to player's names to show which players are real quitters.

1 _ make a turn by turn MP option. i'll play starcraft if i want a RTS game.
2 _ LUA really !?
3 _ a real(istic) MOD system.
3 _ Seriously, LUA !

Top Bottom