[HOWTO] Run a mod

Saketh

Brutal banana
So many people have been asking this question that I'm making this guide.

You've just downloaded a mod, and, chances are, you have no idea what to do with it.

1. First of all, the author of the mod most likely packaged it as a ZIP file. This means that you need an unarchiving software (such as 7-zip) to get the folder which contains the mod.
  2. Once you have the folder which contains the mod, navigate to your C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods directory. If you are on Warlords, go to C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Warlords\Mods. If you installed to a non-standard directory, navigate to the corresponding folders.
  3. Extract the folder from the ZIP, or copy the already extracted folder into the Mods directory.
  4. Run Civilization IV. Go to Advanced-Load Mod, and select the mod that you copied.
  5. You can now play with the mod.
If you want to load the mod on startup, go to the C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\_Civ4Config shortcut, and, in the file, change the "Mod = 0" line to "Mod = Mods\YourMod". Warlords users should do the same for the Warlords subdirectory of the above path.

I appreciate this post but my Mods still arent working.I've installed Moddern_Warfare and Expanded Civics but neither will work when I load them.

The problem I was having turned out to be with my file extraction and unzipping software. In the past month I had gotten a new computer, and after I downloaded a mod, I used the extraction program that came with the computer to unzip the mod, which seemed to do the trick, but no matter what I did, it still didn't load. I went online and downloaded Winzip Self Extractor and now the mod (and probably any others I download) plays fine. The problem with the unzip/extract program that came with the computer, as opposed to WinZip self-extractor, (and other programs like WinRar or 7-Zip) was that it opened your mod as "Read only" files. The new program unzips, extracts, and makes playable all the files in your mod.

Problem (FINALLY) solved!
Ron

My downloaded mods will not work either, even going through steps 1-4 with no problems. I downloaded the CivGold mods for Civ4/Civ4 Warlords and I can select the mod after loading them but nothing new happens after that. I do not get any NEW civillization/leader options (ie: Inuit). Everything looks the same just like having a normal non-mod game. I do not know what is wrong. All my patches are up to date, I also used 7-zip and all the folders are in the right place.

OK, there is something we aren't understanding dealing with these mods. I did all the steps 1-4 and the mod is never there...What can possibly be wrong?

I'm having the same issues you guys are having. And I've been at this for hours today. They man I miss the game editor in civ3. I know this knew way is supposed to be more "expansive" (for modding) but it is also more complex and there does not seem to be any resources available for modding beginners. It feels like you have to have a programming degree to navigate around the xml the python the pitboss the sdk the worldbuilder etc etc etc (at least I have the world builder figured out..lol).

wat do u mean mod directory i cant find it

"Mod directory" (i just learned today) is the folder you will find after clicking "my computer" "c drive" "program files" "firaxis games" and "sid meier's civilization iv". at least that's how it works on my computer.

I find there is a fifth step. I can only run the mod by using the play scenario option, not the play now option.

RJM

Hi! With some mods I get the error message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime error!

Program:...warlords.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
:mad: :cry:

Anybody knows why this happened???

Hi! With some mods I get the error message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime error!

Program:...warlords.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
:mad: :cry:

Anybody knows why this happened???

Is the mod is compatible with your current patch version?

Hi, I've downloaded a mod (actually two) and installed it to the C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Warlords\Mods area, but when I go to "load mod" in the game it's not on the list :confused:

I've checked and I am using warlords 2.08

I've tried loading it from outside the game but it says it's an "invalid mod directory" and will ignore it.

I've tried using different Zip devices and have installed and re-installed a couple of times, but it's not having it.

Can someone help me?

I also have a problem that I've been at for hours. I downloaded a WWII 'mod' (Scenario?) and put it in the mods directory. Then I activated the mod, but I think it's supposed to play as a scenario. I've also got a tank pack mod that won't work. How do I get these things to play as a scenario?

loopylewis - did you install civ4 to the default directory? all your mods should be in the C:/..../Sid Meiers Civilization 4/Warlords/mods folder. Just like all the mods that came with it, all mods should have their own folder, and if it is not showing up in your list of mods, you definetly do not have everything in the proper place.

finesse186 - some scenario's are made to be ONLY played by mods. A scenario which was created using a mod, cannot be loaded into another mod or into normal warlords. If you get a scenario make sure that it is either not for a mod, or that you have the proper mod and it is installed in the correct location.

actually looking at the previous post, it appears none of you have the mods or possibly even civ4 in the proper location. If all else fails, reinstall both to default and do the same with the mods. Also note if you are using other versions than english version, things could be different. Other companies in other countries had a hand at distributing it and some small (but important) changes were made to at least japanese version, possibly others.

Yeah, I've sorted the situation now. It was in the wrong area. Small problem I found though is the folder that CivIV is in disappears and can only be found by locating the warlords.exe, that's why I loaded the mod into the wrong place in the beginning. I know what I'm doing now though :)

also just for a reminder, if you do reinstall.... DO NOT FORGET to download and run the 1.61 patch for civ4, and then the 2.08 patch for warlords. this will give you CTD if you dont.

basically if you install everything to default everything works fine with no problems... If you don't know what your doing, always install to default.

Top Bottom