1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[HOWTO] Run a mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modding Tutorials & Reference' started by Saketh, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Tyo

Tyo HANDS HIGH TO THE SOUND Moderator

I used the search function and found the correct mod folder. It can't tell me where the folder is, however. It's in a "beyond the Sword" folder, but where that folder is, is unknown to me. So, I copied it and sent it to my documents and extracted the mod to there.

2. Asaf

Asaf Sleep Deprived

I assume you mean Windows explorer search? Then you have the full path at the window's address bar at the top... Unless you mean another search function?

3. Tyo

Spoiler :

^Is what it looked like.

4. Asaf

Asaf Sleep Deprived

Right-click a folder (probably go up one folder to the search results and right-click the 'Beyond the Sword' folder) and you should have "Open file location".

5. Tyo

Oh, I see now. Before, I went to Program Files>Firaxis Games>Beyond the Swrd>etc....But there is a 2k Games>Firaxis Games>etc... folder that had the place wheree verything needed to go. Glad to have this problem resolved. Thanks for the help.

6. Anakon

Anakon Chieftain

The easiest way for me to load a mod that I play frequently (saw that in someone's guide here in the forums) is to first make a new shortcut of the Civ4 run exe on my desktop. Then go in its Properties, "Shortcut" tab, in the "Target" field add at the end of the line mod=/MyModName
    It should look something like this:

"D:\Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=/MyModName

D:\ drive and \Games\ folder is of course personal according to your installation of the game, and MyModName should be the name of whatever mod you're using.
    This way I don't have to run Civ4 first and then load the mod, and also I have two shortcut icons for both the original game and the specific mod I want to play...

Just make sure you've put the mod folder in the correct place as the modder's guide would suggest in a ReadMe or something, also check which expansions and patches the mod needs, usually mod creators take time to explain the requirements and write instructions...

7. Barden

Barden Chieftain

I got a mod Civ IV a few days ago (the mercenaries mod) and I fallowed all the steps to install it. i have the complete edition of the game. First I put it on the Warlords config file then went to play the game.

During the start up thing when it says init. then different file names in the box thing that pops up, rather than giving the normal files it says init. Mercenaries mod for a moment then it starts tell my it can't find a bunch of files (the files that the thing usually is init. ing) and i can't play the game. I then tried it with the base game and it did the same thing so I went back and put the config line back to "mod= 0" instead of "mod= mods\Mercenaries mod" and the game runs fine.

sorry if that was too long I'm very new here. What did i do wrong?

8. mourndraken

mourndraken King

Is the mod designed for BTS ?

9. Barden

Barden Chieftain

nope, the read me said it is compatible with Warlords (and based on the last updated thing I think it came out before BTS) And I have tried several other mods and they all come up with this XML error thing.
    i'm about to tear my hair out here... I've got to be doing some tiny little thing wrong

10. Winslot

Winslot Chieftain

I downloaded rfc dawn of civilization. When I go to the advanced screen and click load a mod, dawn of civilization 1.10 is there, and when i click on it, it brings me to that screen with the building and everything but I don't no what to do after that.....

note: this is all on bts

11. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

:hmm: normally Civ should then restart and bring you to the mod.

12. Winslot

Winslot Chieftain

What was happening was I had downloaded the game in the wrong location - I put it in "my games" instead of under program files. With help from the chat room, I moved the files to their correct location, and now everything is fine - but thanks anyway, the_j :D

13. fairburnd

fairburnd Chieftain

I'm having a similar problem... I downloaded the mod c2c (caveman2cosmos). I can find it on the Open a mod list or whatever when I go to Civilization/ Advance, but every time I click on it, the game closes and nothing happens... Anyone know why???? :confused:

I figured it out... the files are "read only"... how do I fix that?

14. fairburnd

fairburnd Chieftain

Is it something to do with Winzip???