Huge European map (107x87)

Of course :)

I used books of history for the ancient resources as well as the resources oil, uranium, aluminum...
However 2 resources posed a problem to me: horses and coal.
For the horses it is very difficult to know from which the first herds come; from Arabia for the majority but for the remainder...
And coal is a resource so much not very rare that I will be able to almost put some on each square.
And I have to make choices and I acknowledge that my map is more ancient time than industrial :)
But sends to me your map which I compare and make modifications :)

Awesome exactly what i have been after but i cant seem to get it running with 1gb RAM

anyone got any tips for improving performance plse?

First of all: I think this is a great map.

But i wonder if it is possible to play on it with more than 18 civs at once. I added 2 more civs by editing the Worldbuilderfile. But it doesn´t work. When i get to the screen where i can choose my civ, there are only 18 instead of 20.
Has someone managed to play with more than 18 or is this generally impossible in Civ4 ??

The game cap is set at 18, it's not possible to play with more. This might change with the SDK, who knows, but it is still to be seen.

I have a problem unraring the civs+map:

Code:
!   E:\Install\Civ4 Stuff\Huge European Map ( 18 civs ).rar: CRC failed in Civilisation 4\Mods\Huge European Map\Assets\Sounds\Diplomacy\croat_theme.mp3. The file is corrupt
!   E:\Install\Civ4 Stuff\Huge European Map ( 18 civs ).rar: Unexpected end of archive

umm can use this for a harry potter modpack i am currently workin on with sailorlazarus(?) i think thats his name

If you want a real challenge, mod the map to make it have raging barbarians and play as one of the African or Asian countries. I haven't tried it yet, but in my current game with raging barbians (I'm Spain), the Carthaginians, Egyptians, Turks, and Arabians have all been wiped out by barbarians. Greece and Mali may be next. It ended up really helping me out because I founded Hinuism and Carthage founded Buddhism which now no longer exists so I'm dominating the religious scene.

Excellent map, UnCopain. :goodjob:

The "standard" tile size in cIV is 20 miles, so your map scale of about 25 miles per tile is very close to this.

I like playing on historical maps with this scale because you don't end up with countries like Germany and France having only 3 or 4 towns each.

I have a couple of questions...

How did you create this map? :confused:

In particular, how did you get the coastlines so accurate - ie. did you build this map entirely by hand or was some of the procedure automated?

What projection did you use? It looks like you made the tiles about 1/3 of a degree North/South and 1/2 of a degree East/West...

I downloaded the mod wit the 18 european nations... 31MB with my 56k... for what?? for croat musik files? ok its my problem...

Another Thing.
The Coastline is very nice. but there are too many rivers. and the Landscape is not distributed/mixed good enough.

How do I use the map +18 euro civs with for example tje lost unit mod? I dont like playing vanilla civ but if I only could get the lost unit mod it would be a big difference.

great map by the way, good work!

the best euro map ever, only downside is that its somewhat unplayable later on due to the massiv size.

Would it be possible to cut out, say just after the palestina/israel area all the way up the map?

This would cut 1/6 of the current map and perhaps give better performance? Middle east and large part of russia would be lost (not really part of europe) , but somethings have to give...

Great map, fun to play, although there weren't many resources near my start where as the computer had many, only problem i had.

BTW: i started near hte top right corner.

Woah. This map looks "SOOOO GOOD". The coast lines are great and the attention to detail vis-a-vis islands- fantastic! I completely agree with your choice about plains and grasslands. Afterall you did use a rainfall map as the source. As someone living and travelling around east Europe (living in Budapest and travelling in Ukraine a LOT) you have things pretty much right. Also love the abundance of rivers. Yes, it is a bit much, but it should make battle tactics very interesting: using the defensivering advantages of rivers in the battle. Great work UnCopain!

Mind if I build onto this most excellent work? Some things that I think would bring continuous improvement to the map:

* Remove the bottom six rows- it's only desert. This will reduce the map size (better for game speed) without removing anything that would alter the vastness and playable of this map. You did the right thing with the north part by not including northern Scandinavia- good choice. Same should e done in the south.

* Modify some geography to reflect some unique historic realities of Europe. Specifically I would make Venice an island and the Dardenelles navigable. Concerning Venice, its island status protected the city itself from conquest until the 19th century. Though the map size "technically" wouldn't include this island, it would be great to reflect this historic reality. In the same light, the Dardenelles should be navigable. In other words, if you have a city on the Bosporous (like Byzantium/Constantinople/Istanbul) it should be able to build ships that could sail into the Mediterranean.

* I think some areas might need to be more moutainous. Certainly Slovakia (travel there a bit and its pretty moutnainous) and probably more moutnians in Switzeralnd. Similarly, I would add the three historic north-south passes through the Alps (their names escape me at the moment.

* All these rivers and no Jordon river? No Sea of Galilee?

Roetghoer you mentioned wanting to work a bit on this map as well. Would you be interested in collaboration? Your first hand experience in the West of Europe along with mine in the East and building on this excellent baseline... I think we could produce something very good.

Lemme know soon. I think I might start looking into some of these adjustments today.

ablirad: If you are going to modify the map for speed, plz consider my earlier post about cutting out parts at the east, about 1/6 of the map could be saved but still include all of turkey, most of western Russia. Something have to be sacrifice for the sake of playability! This is a to good of a map to be unplayble later in the game.

My ide is something like this:

Attachments

• euromap.JPG
    euromap.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 779
Roetghoer said:
I re-did the entire map on resources. Also adding cows in especially north-west of europe.

If Uncopain could send me his email address then i'll send it to him first and he can choose to put it online.

tnx

Strategic resources like coal, oil iron etc have been placed in realistic positions, making Greece a resource abundant area as it in fact is. Also Southern Poland (silesia area) now has a major part of European coal. Making this central part of the map an interesting place for conquest.

I think its safe to post your new version here, and if Uncopain wants to incoporate it on the first page/post it will be done later.

Good idea, but i think i'd like to leave open the possibility for some of the near east empires that you mentioned as well as some in the caucases (Georgia, Armenia, Tatars, etc.). Perhaps two versions? Shouldn't be too hard to make a "truncated east" verison.

Would it be best to post a new map here or start a new thred that gives due credit and reference to UnCopain's diligent work?

make a new tread, but make sure to credit uncopain as you say.

Would be exellent if you could make several (2) version, one with best performace in mind (for ex the idé Im for) and one with not as drastic aproach...

I would love to mod my self but I lack the talent, or the time (posting from work).

Is it hard to implement the changes I wanted? To just cut out parts of the map?

Top Bottom