Humankind Quick Questions and Answers

Thanks for the answer. And then the follow-up question is: is there any way to flip a city using influence? Or any other way to get a city peacefully?

If you have influence over a city or region, you can demand it. Sometimes they accept, depending on the AI personality and the relationship.

I still don't know what Detection Range is, or how is it different from Vision Range.
Some units are "Stealth" units (letting them pillage while at peace, sneak undetected at war, etc.) I assume Detection Range lets you see them.

Does anyone know the Formula for the influence cost of attaching Outposts?
I don't know the formula for the standard prices, as you rarely pay those. There are a few modifiers (tech -10%, civic -20%, expansionist -25%) that change what you pay. If never gone over ~20 territories per city, but I remember when attaching that many outposts, the price would at some point rise much slower, at least that's how I perceived it.

It seems to me that ransacking and expansionist stealing should not be interrupted by combat. Perhaps that combat turn shouldn’t count toward the ransack, but it makes no narrative or gameplay sense. Also doesn’t fit with the +4 strength while ransacking civic, which seems intended to help ransack while under fire (and perhaps to encourage out-of-city combat).

Also, on a question note, how do you see how much trade exists for your resources, which would inform getting trade-bases infrastructure and cultures. I got plenty of messages saying my resources had been purchased, but saw no mention of gold from trade or any clear signs on the diplomacy window, though I see all the routes to the resources I’ve purchased.

Also, on a question note, how do you see how much trade exists for your resources, which would inform getting trade-bases infrastructure and cultures. I got plenty of messages saying my resources had been purchased, but saw no mention of gold from trade or any clear signs on the diplomacy window, though I see all the routes to the resources I’ve purchased.
The number of trade routes per territory is visible at a certain zoom level. Not the best way show this information, obviously. You get a lump sum of money when someones buys something from you, and I think the gold value of that is shown in the notification. It's usually a small amount though, as the money spent on transport goes *puff*.
Trade routes give +1 gold on each territory the cross without any other modifiers active.

The +4 when ransacking is not about fighting while ransacking. The duration how long it takes to ransack is based on your armies CS, and this ability gives +4 per unit to the stack. So you ransack a lot faster.

Last edited:
It seems to me that ransacking and expansionist stealing should not be interrupted by combat. Perhaps that combat turn shouldn’t count toward the ransack, but it makes no narrative or gameplay sense. Also doesn’t fit with the +4 strength while ransacking civic, which seems intended to help ransack while under fire (and perhaps to encourage out-of-city combat).

I agree. You should have to lose for it to be interrupted. My intuition when it first occurred was that it is not working as intended, but the description does state that it can be interrupted.

This seems like an obvious thing which they have tested and decided it was better for it to work this way, so I wonder what was occurring. It was probably too strong otherwise.

The mountains are in another region, you need to attach it to the city to get the bonus.

Ah, thats good to know - I was so far under the impression that region borders cut off harvesting of tiles beyond them in any case

---

If a district or outpost gets sucessfully pillaged, the tile contains "ruins" afterwards. Are they more than a visual reminder that something was on the tile before? I'm asking since I neither found a repair function nor had the impression that rebuilding the same structure in the tile is cheaper - the tooltip does not even state what has been destroyed (except maybe very indirectly - a plundered Garrison district shows something like 0/100 HP)

If a district or outpost gets sucessfully pillaged, the tile contains "ruins" afterwards. Are they more than a visual reminder that something was on the tile before? I'm asking since I neither found a repair function nor had the impression that rebuilding the same structure in the tile is cheaper - the tooltip does not even state what has been destroyed (except maybe very indirectly - a plundered Garrison district shows something like 0/100 HP)
You were able to build over the ruins? That shouldn't be possible, actually. You first have to clear the tile, which is done by building "clear ruins."

You were able to build over the ruins? That shouldn't be possible, actually. You first have to clear the tile, which is done by building "clear ruins."

Yes, direct rebuilding is possible (I didn't even notice the "clear ruins" entry until you mentioned it...)
Spoiler :

RebuildingGarrisonOnRuins.jpg

Is it bug or are expansionist empires unable to forcibly annex territories of people they are at war with?

Is it bug or are expansionist empires unable to forcibly annex territories of people they are at war with?
I think War blocks the ability... if they are at war they have to conquer it.

1) How do I make demands allowing me to conquer cities from AI or vassalize it?
2) How can I rename cities?
3) What exactly sphere of influence does?

Last edited:
1) How do I make demands allowing me to conquer cities from AI?

1 and 3 can be related. If you have influence over a territory, you can demand them from the AI.

As for renaming, there should be a button in the panel, with something like a "A_" IIRC.

That means I cannot just conquer cities without sphere of influence?

Why wouldn't you? Demands only makes it cheaper to get them when the war is over, and gives you war score to start the war with a good amount of it, but doesn't prevent you from taking them and asking them on the peace treaty.

1) How do I make demands allowing me to conquer cities from AI or vassalize it?
Answering #1
During a War, you and the enemy each have a level of War Support. Battles will move this up or down (winning increases losing decreases), as well as some decline over time. Once the enemy's War Support is 0, the other side can use their remaining War Support to "Buy' things from the enemy (an Offer they can't refuse)

Your "pre-war" War support is increased when the enemy does something against you... attacks your units/trade routes, controls a territory of your religion/sphere of influence, etc. (you demand they pay up, and either they do or you get more War Support)

Top Bottom