I declared war on a friend. What happens next?

I signed a whole Declaration of Friendship with Arabia early on into the game, only to go to war to pluck a worker from them on turn 30.

How long will the whole "YOU DECLARED WAR ON ME EVEN THOUGH WE SIGNED A DEC OF FRIENDSHIP!" thing last? It's already turn 200 and doesn't seem to be fading into dark red, but lingering in BRIGHT RED on the diplomacy drop down.

That one is a HUGE NO-NO. I didn't check the numbers inside the code, but I know it's a "game breaker"... I remember doing it once just for the sake of fun and experimentation, and it haunted me the entire game to the point of making it unwinnable.. at least in Emperor+.

Let me check the code later to answer about the decay (if any)...

You're screwed. This will last the entire game with every single civ ever. You might as well go autocracy full out warmonger now, because nobody is ever going to forgive you for that.

Even the CIVs I haven't met yet?

Yes, through telepathy every body knows what you did.. especially the girls.. they talk :lol:

But seriously, it's a huge no-no, I know hit's tempting to betray/denoucne your friend but it's a REALLY bad move.. you pretty much destroy any hope for any reasonable diplomacy.

better bribe somebody to wage war on your friend. your friend will not know.

It does make sense from the AI's point of view - why would they ever trust you after that? I do think it should wear off eventually though. Like, maybe 100 turns in the red, then it starts to fade.

@redwings1340 is right - you're screwed diplomatically this game. Start killing everyone!

It's like my momma always said: "Blood for the Blood God, Skulls for the Skull Throne!"

Best to just kill them all now, because you're never going to be friends with anyone again.

I dunno...

While the big RED diplomacy marker is on the screen, the same CIV I declared war on whilst in a Dec of Friendship, just asked me to be their friends again!

In actuality, there hasn't been a single war on this continent I share with 4 other CIVS! But then again, early war in BNW is almost non-existant...

while the big red diplomacy marker is on the screen, the same civ i declared war on whilst in a dec of friendship, just asked me to be their friends again!

--> approach_deceptive.

;)

proof: if you say yes, their stance will go to "friendly" (false), and the negative modifier will suddenly disappear... because they are hiding it.
proof 2: code.

If you piss one civ off, unless they're universally hated by all the others, it always seems to go downhill from there, as they will just all gossip about you, until they ALL hate you. But, as for attacking a friend, you are now more hated than Hitler crossed with Darth Vader and Lex Luthor, so you might as well KILL ZEM ALL! :groucho:

It's probably too late now, but if you wipe them out completely before either of you meet any other civs (Islands/continents type map), then you will be OK - no negative diplo modifier with the new civs as you meet them.

I had a game recently as shoshone on a large continent, after wiping out one civ my reputation was so bad (and my army so good), that I thought '**** it' and killed off the other 2 civs on the continent; I just managed this before anyone got Astronomy, and as I met the rest of the civs I don't recall getting any diplo hits for my previous warring.

Of course I still had to deal with terrible gpt (had killed off all trade partners, bar 3 city states), and happiness levels frequently dipping below -10 (army had to be rushed back home to kill off the rebels/barbarians springing up every few turns :)

It's probably too late now, but if you wipe them out completely before either of you meet any other civs (Islands/continents type map), then you will be OK - no negative diplo modifier with the new civs as you meet them.

I had a game recently as shoshone on a large continent, after wiping out one civ my reputation was so bad (and my army so good), that I thought '**** it' and killed off the other 2 civs on the continent; I just managed this before anyone got Astronomy, and as I met the rest of the civs I don't recall getting any diplo hits for my previous warring.

Of course I still had to deal with terrible gpt (had killed off all trade partners, bar 3 city states), and happiness levels frequently dipping below -10 (army had to be rushed back home to kill off the rebels/barbarians springing up every few turns :)

The warmongering will be not known but the backstab will be known by yet unmet civs. It is counterintuitive but you can't hide from being flagged as a backstabber (unless you bribe someone to backstab)

If you piss one civ off, unless they're universally hated by all the others, it always seems to go downhill from there, as they will just all gossip about you, until they ALL hate you. But, as for attacking a friend, you are now more hated than Hitler crossed with Darth Vader and Lex Luthor, so you might as well KILL ZEM ALL! :groucho:

People hate Darth Vader? :eek2:

But, but... he's so cool! :confused:

I have declared war on a civ with friendship status with me in the industrial era faded away about late industrial era I was on a epic prince game still playing actually I just went and liberated Inca from the warmonger Egypt who conquered the southern half of the continent not anymore though :mwaha:, but now I am wondering how to get rid of the you didn't move your troops away when I asked you thing which happened in the early renaissance which is still bright red in the atomic era but I am loved by almost everyone.

you are now more hated than Hitler crossed with Darth Vader and Lex Luthor, so you might as well KILL ZEM ALL! :groucho:

Don't forget Tarkin. Dude blew up a planet.

One issue I have with backstabs is the game doesn't advertise enough when an AI does it. Of course, when they backstab you, you're informed, but if one AI backstabs another, AFAIK it just says "X declared war on Y" (and the next turn all the info you have is "X and Y are at war" and it can be easy to forget who started it). I think in the diplo screen it will say "backstabbed X", but that might be for denouncements only... my point is it's pretty easy to miss this information even though it's something that, going by the AI's behaviour, is not supposed to be forgiven or forgotten.

Top Bottom