[BTS] I did it! I won my first Immortal Game!!!

Ah and then there is when the interface gets glitchy, say with large stacks of units or trying to micro your workers, and something stupid happens. It's almost a physical error - not being deft enough with your mouse to the game's liking. Civ is a computer game, not a sport.

And of course there is when city governors totally disobey orders - and you find out several turns later and your great person production has been messed up or something. Obviously to be sure one just hand holds each city growth stage (which I do), but then the point of the :gp::hammers::food: buttons is to allow for not that. Really shouldn't be risk in those selections the way there is with battles.

I
Of course on the flip side of the coin, you can be remarkably lucky as well and for instance succeed in a city attack you had no business in succeeding. But no one ever complains about that... :lol:
Most people don't get in situations where they attack with no business in succeeding. I would say reasonable attacks have at least 70-80% chance to succeed (not one combat, but whole capture strategic city/wipe opposing stack) That is of course 20-30% chance of horrible failure... I haven't seen lot of stories where people attack at 30% odds to succeed at war. So naturally game produces one sided fortunes.

I think FE13 (and probably other games in fire emblem series) does double rolling and picks result closer to expected (so attack at 40% has success chance of 0.4x0.4=0.16, while 70% would miss only if both rolls miss ). 90-95% rolls in there are very good.

In general, as far as reloading goes I more agree with shakabrade (especially with part in signature, lol).
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...quit-or-accept-continue.573908/#post-14422205

Reloading one turn earlier and moving warrior over side cause you know where bear is, no much value. Same for redoing combat rolls.

Reloading 15 turns earlier retrying different fogbusting positions (or using that cute horsie stack on another target, or checking how things would work if you bribed AI's on each other...). These can help more than playing out identical games over and over. In particular this is very helpful at disbelieving that few spears stop HA stack, lol.

Most people don't get in situations where they attack with no business in succeeding. I would say reasonable attacks have at least 70-80% chance to succeed (not one combat, but whole capture strategic city/wipe opposing stack) That is of course 20-30% chance of horrible failure... I haven't seen lot of stories where people attack at 30% odds to succeed at war. So naturally game produces one sided fortunes.

I think FE13 (and probably other games in fire emblem series) does double rolling and picks result closer to expected (so attack at 40% has success chance of 0.4x0.4=0.16, while 70% would miss only if both rolls miss ). 90-95% rolls in there are very good.

In general, as far as reloading goes I more agree with shakabrade (especially with part in signature, lol).
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...quit-or-accept-continue.573908/#post-14422205

Reloading one turn earlier and moving warrior over side cause you know where bear is, no much value. Same for redoing combat rolls.

Reloading 15 turns earlier retrying different fogbusting positions (or using that cute horsie stack on another target, or checking how things would work if you bribed AI's on each other...). These can help more than playing out identical games over and over. In particular this is very helpful at disbelieving that few spears stop HA stack, lol.

Well Axerushes typically give odds of 30% or even worse per attack especially if cities are on hills or against Pro Archers. I have had situations where I would kill like 4 Archers in a hill city and lose 1 Axe which is an incredibly lucky outcome. I agree with the reloading situations you mentioned. I think the same.

Constant reloading does indeed suck the life outta the game. BOTM/HOF games can be so intense cause every move matters. Reloading simply not allowed.

Yeah, once I started played BOTM, I practically stopped reloading (and I was doing it almost constantly before), except for test games to optimize start. The game is simply much more interesting without reloading, with reloading, I tended to play sloppily, since almost anything could be fixed with reloading, was just a matter of time :lol:

I think it is more "re-playing" than "reloading", I thought re-loading would be going to the beginning of a given turn, or at most to the turn before.

I agree re-playing is very useful, although has to be done sparingly, if I try more than 2-3 scenarios, I get confused which game I currently playing and end up not finishing it anyway.

It may seem counter-intuitive, when I was starting to play BOTM I thought that no-reloading will make the game less enjoyable, but it is actually the opposite. Although accidents happen and some mistakes will make you (want to) rage quit and you can sometimes ruin a really well going game by a small mistake (just happened to me in BotM 197 :cry:)... But overall it is totally worth it, now even when I replay old GotMs I played with no reloading - other than to fix a rare, horrendous mistakes.

Yep, I would equate "replaying" with restarting the game and "reloading" as any short term action - a turn/turnset or even a move - reload.

Top Bottom