I love the USA!

Why not? I wouldnt have any problem living in canada.

I personally just don't find it as friendly and supporting. From what I have seen, I don't like most of the cities as much either (in my limited experience). Portland would be a good place to live if I had to move to the states though.

Also, I just don't trust your justice system as much. Not that it would really affect me personally, but as a member of a society, your government works on your behalf using the justice system. I cannot condone putting people away for decades based on drug charges, and I cannot condone capital punishment. I do not want to live in a society where the majority of people don't seem to want equal marriage rights for homosexuals, or where intelligent design may end up being taught alongside evolution in schools (especially if I had children in those schools).

Intellegent design will never be tought. Its not even a theory. :lol:

As for your other points they are fair. But they dont affect my everyday life at all and they have never been a problem for me.

And i dont know about the majority being against gay marriage. It really depends where in the U.S you live.

Intellegent design will never be tought. Its not even a theory. :lol: .

It seems on the rise in areas.

As for your other points they are fair. But they dont affect my everyday life at all and they have never been a problem for me.

Maybe not, but I have enough problems being annoyed with other Albertans, without having to move to a society that is even more conservative.

And i dont know about the majority being against gay marriage. It really depends where in the U.S you live.

Equal marriage. That means not having conditions such as making them civil unions, but not equally recognized marriages. I mean this may not affect me directly, but if I were choosing a society to live in when the standards of living and quality of life are roughly equivalent amongst countries, the values of the society become important.

It seems on the rise in areas.

Maybe not, but I have enough problems being annoyed with other Albertans, without having to move to a society that is even more conservative.

Equal marriage. That means not having conditions such as making them civil unions, but not equally recognized marriages. I mean this may not affect me directly, but if I were choosing a society to live in when the standards of living and quality of life are roughly equal, the values of the society become important.

So these negatives would outweight any positives in the U.S?

So these negatives would outweight any positives in the U.S?

Well, what positives are there to the US relative to Canada? I can make a decent income in Canada, the cities are safer, the education and health care are good, and the people are friendly.

If comparing the US and Mexico, then ya the US wins. But Canada negates most of the advantages of the US.

Well, what positives are there to the US relative to Canada? I can make a decent income in Canada, the cities are safer, the education and health care are good, and the people are friendly.

If comparing the US and Mexico, then ya the US wins. But Canada negates most of the advantages of the US.

Well for one... Its not so damn cold in most places. :lol:

Thats a big plus in my book.

I love America, if you don't like America you can...get out.

Well for one... Its not so damn cold in most places. :lol:

Thats a big plus in my book.

Fair enough, but cold keeps away the bugs and diseases. Also, there are places in B.C. that are temperate basically all year long. Calgary itself stays surprisingly warm through much of the winter because of chinooks.

Don't forget about global warming. Canada may become the new U.S. in terms of climate. :cool:

BTW, in terms of wealth, Alberta is arguably the richest province/state in North America right now.

Hah, not in our lifetime.

True enough, but there is a simple solution to that. Just go on vacation in the coldest times of the year. Calgary summers are pretty sweet. Not too hot, not too cool, and usually not too rainy.

I suppose we could also build one of those tents like they are building in Kazakhstan.

The US is fun to visit, and Americans are fun in small doses, but I find the general trend of being outgoing and jolly nauseating in large amounts, and the lack of familiarity with sarcasm, irreverence and dark humour is frustrating.

On the other hand, the prices are fantastic, as are the portion sizes. It is good to meet kind people, even if they do mistake dark humour for offensive perversion.

As a darkly humorous and sarcastic American, I can completely agree with you on that aspect. My fellow Americans have no tolerance for either.:sad:

Being outgoing and jolly is all well and good though.:D

I cannot condone putting people away for decades based on drug charges, and I cannot condone capital punishment. I do not want to live in a society where the majority of people don't seem to want equal marriage rights for homosexuals, or where intelligent design may end up being taught alongside evolution in schools (especially if I had children in those schools).

Agreed on all counts except for Capital Punishment.

With marriage, it shouldn't be a state institution. Civil Unions for all!

Agreed on all counts except for Capital Punishment.

With marriage, it shouldn't be a state institution. Civil Unions for all!

Of course you are enlightened. You come from an awesome state. :goodjob:

As for the civil unions for all, I wouldn't mind that either. As long as the rule is equally applied.

Yanks are an OK bunch on the whole...And while many of them need to learn what
sarcasm and the proper Queen's English is, there are some fine Americans on
CFC that give me hope that Old Glory might have some life in her yet.

:)

Why thank you, we all know I'm exemplary!:cool:

Why not? I wouldnt have any problem living in canada.

Because you people scare the hell out of me!!!!!!! ;)

Seriously though, don't take it too harsh. The US is a very long way from the bottom of my list of places to live, just not my preference.

I don't think Canadians who move down there are crazy to do so, I can see why someone would prefer it there, I can see why some of you might want to live here. I can see why people from both countries would rather head for Europe or Aus or NZ.

Maybe if you start running Coronation Street and open a Swiss Chalet I'll think about it. :)

Once you are within the realm of industrialized countries, "good" and "bad" boil down to personal preferences.

Given the option, I'd choose to live in a land that is free from government interference; many of you disagree and correspondingly live in countries that have a more paternalistic government.

@rmsharpe. Despite your somewhat loaded description of non-American society, you are basically correct. For the majority of middle class people, these countries provide the same opportunities. Things might be a bit different at the top and the bottom though.

To be fair, it is annoyingly paternalistic when you are in the states and are told you cannot drink if under 21. Or for that matter, that you might be locked up for having a bit of weed.

EDIT: The difference is one is more of an economic nanny-state while the other is more of a social nanny-state.

It's a nice place to live, especially when you live in a town for old, retired, rich people. :)

(though I've heard Canada is much nicer)

I've travelled for years and lived in many countries, I'll take the USA every time.
As for Canada, the taxes drain you, and more Canadians come to the US for health care because of the quality and the wait in many cases.

Top Bottom