1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I used to think disasters were mostly harmless and inconsequential

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Socrates99, May 14, 2019.

1. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

I'd like to see advanced settings for weather effects. Currently the 1-4 slider is for everything, but if there was also sliders for flooding, volcanoes, global warming, etc. it would allow the player to customize things to their liking.

Also flood barriers should protect against hurricane damage.

Nefelia and Victoria like this.
  2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

This whole concept of what exactly production is in game as opposed to in a real city is not correct and yet they are trying to be realistic with their hurricanes and this causes coastal cities in particular to be worse off, especially as 45% of the coast is now lowland so guaranteed to be pillaged.

Jkchart likes this.
  3. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

That's a seriously good point. Without the shipyard coastal cities are at a disadvantage. I often gold buy those things just to get coastal cities up to par.

Jkchart likes this.
  4. Victoria

And governments gold buy repairs due to hurricanes which we cannot do :thumbsdown:

Jkchart likes this.
  5. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

You'd think that if you can instant purchase a building with gold that you can instant repair the with good funding as well...maybe this could be a solution that could be implemented? Imperfect, but it's an idea if they don't want to rebalance production costs. That way thalassocracies actually can use their gold in a more strong fashion.

Socrates99, Depravo and Victoria like this.
  6. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Roland Emmerich made a movie about that.

Pietato likes this.
  7. Tuvok694

Tuvok694 Civ6 addict

A sandstorm just destroyed all districts with all buildings in my two largest cities. The next 40 turns or so those two cities will do nothing but repairing. It is just TOO MUCH, why don't the developers see that?

Victoria likes this.
  8. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

IMHO I think it is because they do not play the game as often as we do.

Victoria likes this.
  9. Victoria

Exactly. I have had the bad luck of it happening 3 times to me and hurricanes are worse than sandstorms.
    It really is unpleasant losing a key city in this way and It just wastes your time, not what a game should be doing unless you are a masochist.

10. Tuvok694

Tuvok694 Civ6 addict

Not much traffic here, so can I assume that most people are ok with natural disasters (on level 2) ruining huge cities by destroying 6 or 7 districts with all buildings in them (and delaying or preventing a possible victory)?
    When GS was released, I thought the game feature "natural disasters" was a good idea, but in the current version they are just one big annoyance.

11. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

We can't make decent conclusions about what "most people are okay with", because we don't have data to back either with confidence.

The design of disasters in Civ 6 is not justifiable in the context of a strategy title, however. If the design is for player agency to matter/saturate the game with meaningful decisions, creating mechanics that undermine agency and dilute otherwise meaningful choices at random runs counter to said design. It's not an internally consistent implementation.

I recall mentioning this before the mechanic was released. It's not like I'm clairvoyant or something and the devs didn't need to be either; this exact type of problem was present with events in Civ 4, not to mention other games outside the Civ franchise.

12. Leucarum

Leucarum King

I've been ok with level 2 disasters. I've only had a couple of frustrating games, generally with civs like Mali or Japan that really push super-dense clusters of districts. I don't generally enjoy coastal civs as much though, so I guess I have been less affected than some. Sounds like they get it worst.

13. lotrmith

lotrmith King

I'm okay with the random nature of disasters. All that really matters is if the disaster types are balanced against eachother. As it stands, some disasters are great, adding fertility and other yields, while some are purely destructive. Tornados and Hurricanes seem imbalanced in that they have no positive effect, combined with not being able to tell where they might strike (as opposed to, say, droughts which you can predict based on lack of woods/rainforests/marshes). It would make more sense if the game gave an indicator for tornado and hurricane prone areas. Even stone-age peoples would recognize those trends and avoid permanent settlements.

Sea level rise, on the other hand, I'm actually not okay with. How would any civilization know about sea level rise in any pre-contemporary era? Thematically that also fits with not knowing about strategic resources in advance. Preferably I'd love to know resource locations so I could build districts or wonders over them in advance, but that doesn't make any sense so I'm okay with not knowing.

Nefelia likes this.
  14. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

That's not a consistent position either. You seem to be okay with knowing what technologies you can research and even directing it towards goals 1k years in the future, but you aren't okay with identifying areas of the world that are relatively flat/close relative to sea level?

What standard(s) are actually being used here?

15. Victoria

That is really the whole point of a few threads created.
    The difference between districts and buildings is bad but if you have enough production you can sort of sweep it under a carpet, but when a coastal city gets hit by a hurricane it is guaranteed to lose all its fishing boats, harbour and all low level districts in essence reducing a large majority of its production and costing worker charges galore to get it to a decent production level again.. and then you have 3-4 districts to repair which cannot be done in parallel.

I do not mind a disaster that cost a bit ever now and the but coastal cities suck anyway and super suck when hit by a hurricane (worse damage than sand or snow)

16. Leucarum

Leucarum King

Yeah, I completely get that. The lack of production is messy and I saw your thread trying to puzzle out why districts cost so much to repair... Maybe disasters shouldn't pillage districts, only buildings/improvements? It would still hurt but at least the most costly component would be alleviated.

Out of curiosity do we know how much worse does chopping affect severity of disasters? Is some of the severity an intentional attempt to de-emphasize chopping on Firaxis' part? Inadvertently making coastal civs even worse because they generally have the lowest capacity to bounce back from disasters?

17. Victoria

Chopping increases drought risk in the area as well as encouraging the sea to overflow.

18. Leucarum

Leucarum King

Good to know. I thought it also affected hurricane intensity...

19. lotrmith

lotrmith King

The standard is consistency within a system.

The tech tree as a system is consistent in its application and its logic (or illogic, however you want to look at it). Turns to discover, prerequisites/tech-paths, conditions for eurekas are all laid bare.

The disaster system is inconsistent both in application and logic. You have full disclosure on where volcanos, flood plains, and dust storms *will* occur. You can hazard a guess at blizzards I believe (I don't know if they have patterns, as hurricanes seem to) and also droughts based on terrain features. You have no idea where Hurricanes or Tornadoes will strike (outside of sea-based and land-based vagueness). You know precisely where sea level rise will occur and in what order of a 3-step sequence.

Also the impact of disasters varies wildly, with some being welcome and others being pure destruction.

Victoria likes this.
  20. Victoria

It is the 17 tile radius of sand snow and sea in particular.
    The thing with hurricanes is when they come ashore they do just that, pop ashore to the coastal tiles before dispersal and that makes em more likely to hit a bigger part of your coastal city.