1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I wish the mod did "this" because it's like that in real life.

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Bryan317, Feb 6, 2020.

1. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

There was a mod that made pioneers found always puppet cities (among other things such as illnesses and morals), but it was not compatible with VP. And there was no option to create your own vassal who manages the armies for you.

2. usadefcon1

usadefcon1 Warlord

What I miss most from Civ 4 is that each citizen had their own nationality. When you conquered a city the unhappiness would stem from the fact that they were still loyal to their old civ until they eventually assimilated over time. If you had high culture they would assimilate quicker, and if that city was conquered back it would be at full production immediately since the population was still loyal.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  3. BiteInTheMark

BiteInTheMark Emperor

This would be a cool feature.
    And absolutly realistic, if you look at the history starting from 1550 to 1900. Portugal, Spain, England, France... all of them colonized lands far away and established colonies.
    Often enough I see decent spots were I could easily found cities but fear it might not be worth the effort or could increase the tensions to neighbors, if I settle there.
    If I would be able to pay the price for the settler/pioneer + population but know it will not harm my tech/policy cost and get a small vassal for free, damn I would do it.
    Maybe there could be a project, unlocked at the same time as researching the caravel, which enables my cities to create a new civilization, randomly chosen and immidiatly my vassal. It could be like a normal vassal but count only half for the master/vasall strength calculation. That would be a total awesome.

Bryan317 likes this.
  4. Patine

Patine Deity

I have never played Civ4 as a Civ iteration, but that feature sounds similar to Master of Orion 2, to be honest.

5. kenneth1221

kenneth1221 Warlord

Sure, appeasement was a failure in real life. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be a more fun game mechanic than a highly successful warmonger constantly getting phony war declarations from Civs who can barely do anything to hurt them.

6. kenneth1221

kenneth1221 Warlord

Alternative idea: puppet cities stay as suggested, but instead of vassals, city-states with permanent Spheres of Influence. Then, some of the mechanics might already be there -- send the equivalent of a 'Merchant of Venice' to puppet the vassal states, and then annex them.

Enginseer's Bare Necessities provides an auto-governor, but it's not amazing/might need tuning. When I tried it in one of my games it built military units I didn't need at all instead of building infrastructure.

7. Mastfire

Mastfire Chieftain

What about a way to shoot down missiles? Modern day ships do have a capability to fire at missiles. Mech inf. should have to ability to cross coastal tiles with out embarking like the attack helicopter. And what happened to the marines unit that was in the vanilla unit?

JamesNinelives likes this.
  8. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

If a feature wasn't in MOO2, it honestly shouldn't be in 4x. MOO2 was perfection personified, and anyone who disagrees is not a human being :)

9. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

ModMod territory I think. I will say, village growing was one of the best parts of the Civ4 economy, but its not something you can just "tack on". There were techs, civics (aka social policies) and the like that all worked off of the village concept, and that's what made it successful in Civ 4.

It should also be noted that one of the counters in Civ 4 to towns was pillage. Unlike Civ 5, pillaging was permanent in Civ4. If I crushed your town back to a village, you had to start growing it all over again.

JamesNinelives and Bryan317 like this.
  10. Bryan317

Bryan317 Warlord

Knights should require Iron and Horses. And there should be slightly more Iron available. There should also be a weaker version of knight (Light Calvary) that doesn't require Iron. Knights should be stronger overall to reflect the added investment of Iron. Both can be upgraded straight to Lancer requiring No Iron.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  11. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

I see.
    You can lose easily a city state under your sphere with a world congress resolution all your neighbors would love to have. Not to forget that a city state is much more beneficial than a vassal, since they provide yields and resources.
    The idea of leaving the work to a vassal is to give him half the cities, and let him mobilize troops for me. This is a game of war and strategy but sometimes I don't need the hassle of micromanaging my full armies for every petty war. Most importantly, vassals can be given and taken cities, so I can regain control if I need it.

Bryan317 likes this.
  12. th3f00l

th3f00l Chieftain

In civilization 5, has some way to produced strategic resources using the same mechanics of growth? If I'm not mistaken in civilization 6 it is like this, example: When you discover iron and have a source, let's suppose, from 6 instead of having to discover other sources to be able to increase this 6 iron, the strategic resource growth +1 per turn without explore another source, and the civis with more numbers of source can produce more strategic resource per turn, maybe some buildings can rise the number of production per turn (example national wonder Iron Works rise the capacity of production Iron +1 instead give 2 Irons). Case it's possible and someone ask yourself for balance, this production of strategic resource can be rise the maintenance where more explored sources more you spending to produce. I don't know if it's possible to do this in the game, but it's something I've always wondered about. I apologize for just asking, or gives bad ideas, but these are things I always wanted to know if it is possible and how I don't understand anything about programming or how far can go in dll changes.

Bryan317 likes this.
  13. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

I mean, this is already the case in Vox Populi to a degree. Forget the name of the building (refinery?) but it gives Coal and Iron, and Recycling Centres give Aluminum. Similarly building the Manhattan Project first gives you 1 uranium (as well as the bomb).

Bryan317 likes this.
  14. Bryan317

Bryan317 Warlord

Actually the Strategic balance is pretty good as is. I would only recommend a little more iron available if my knight change was implemented. We should encourage counterpoints in this thread. Be willing to listen to others why your change is game breaking. Might help you get over it lol. But by all means defend your argument with possible mechanic adjustments. On the Knight...didnt vanilla Civ5 require Horse and Iron? Why did they remove this? I would say it's because knights became too limited and by the time you built them they may be phased out. I still think they should require both resources, be made slightly stronger... and a cheaper light calvary made available, no iron needed. Which leads me to another point...

Another idea Ive toyed around with that would let them play and adjust the combat strengths of Ancient through Medieval times (essentially make a few stronger) is.... make Gunpowder unit 15% stronger against ALL units unless they are a gunpowder/modern armor unit) You could call the Promotion "Boom Sticks!!" Lol jk. But maybe something that means "Guns to a Knife Fight" And I don't mean to keep picking on the Tercio but maybe he'll be the in-betweener that still takes that 15% gunpowder damage.
    Eh? Eh? Lol.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  15. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

16. Patine

Patine Deity

The refinery down the highway from the neighbourhood I grew up in as a kid ONLY dealt in oil. :p

17. Bryan317

Bryan317 Warlord

Are the betas doing Iron now? I was out of the loop awhile and decided to play a stable version first. If I can successfully Invade the #1 Austria, I'll definitely win by score and call this game wrap.

18. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Yep its been changed to +1 iron and +1 coal (also just +3 prod and no more +15% prod)

19. BliTTzZ

BliTTzZ Warlord

I feel the same about XCOMs and GDRs. While it's understandable they are somewhat iconic units for Firaxis, but they break immersion big time.
    Drones would be nice as support units. And make ICBMs more important... I wish it had global range and if you attack another major superpower, every single one of your cities gets nuked in return automatically. MAD in a nutshell.

Would also change tech placement for some units. For example all fighters could be researched 1 tech earilier, so you would a decent amount of them prepared once enemy gets bombers. Also guided missiles are researched before fighters? Would swap them with fighters any day.

Would like to see some units to have one more upgrade in their line. First ones I can think of are guided missiles and bazooka. They feel underwhelming once modern armor and mechanized infantry are on the field.

Bryan317 likes this.
  20. Bryan317

Bryan317 Warlord

Now that I understand this, I'm inclined to agree with the other comments that ask about oil refining. Maybe they could actually be split into three different buildings. And you build the one you need. Of course you don't want an overabundance either. Even war mongers should be forced to trade lol