1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I wish the mod did "this" because it's like that in real life.

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Bryan317, Feb 6, 2020.

1. azum4roll

azum4roll Prince

If we give them one turn to move their units out of the way, we can change the SDS so that it only reduces city population lost and each tile has a chance to not be affected by fallout.

Bryan317 likes this.
  2. Rekk

Rekk Emperor

At the time of nuclear missiles, it's more likely that the target civilization would have time to figure out what's going on and launch their own nukes. I suggested at the beginning of the turn so that they don't have time to move anything out of danger, but the nukes will still be around to be fired at a target of their choosing instead of scripted automatic targets that would be required with other suggestions. In addition, the source civ couldn't just move his units in the same turn that he kills all of the target civ's units.

Ideally this would be at the beginning of the target civ's turn so that another civ can't move in instead

Bryan317 and Skidizzle like this.
  3. Hippie_Peace_man

Hippie_Peace_man Chieftain

I made a thread about this a while back, but I'll post it here because it fits:
    Year progression should be modified. With the new balance encouraging production over science and preventing scientific snowball, I usually don’t research writing until 100-200 AD. It feels weird to me when I’m in the year 1945 and it’s not even the modern era. The modern era, for context, is from mid 19th century to the turning of the century. I desire a separate year counter that is purely UI (not used for Mayan UA) that uses the average amount of technologies discovered world-wide to calculate the year.
    You laugh, but when I was new to the game, I disabled every victory except for domination victory. After all, you can say you're "King" because a bunch of diplomats in a stuffy room said so, but if I have a stronger military, your threats and power are empty. And good luck resisting my powerful military when I wage war to conquer your empire.

Bryan317 likes this.
  4. kenneth1221

kenneth1221 Warlord

...said Hippie_Peace_man.

5. Bryan317

Bryan317 Warlord

Just making conversation. But the "realistic domination" probably isn't... Realistic lol. So in reality our world is probably a Huge map. And definitely 22 civs/max CS. Has anyone actually done this?? I bow to you if you have. Granted you only have to take over every capital. But on a huge map? Good lord. Well maybe if you play til the year 2500! I usually settle with being the largest civ. Killing whoever was about to finish the spaceship. Then finish my own lol

JamesNinelives likes this.
  6. vyyt

vyyt Emperor

Every single game :) Ok, I do not max the CS numbers.

Bryan317 likes this.
  7. Bryan317

Bryan317 Warlord

Huge map? On at least immortal?? Pics or it's a lie!! Jk. I bow to your Superior skills sir. But there's got to be some catch! Do you do like 20% land 80% ocean? LOL. Okay maybe I'm getting a little better every game, but it literally seems like it's impossible to do by the year 2050. Of course it's definitely something I wish to achieve myself. One thing I realize you have to have a more streamlined approach to go after the capitals not the other junk cities

8. vyyt

vyyt Emperor

@Bryan317 , Emperor, epic. But I rarely finish the games :) Also, not sure, but maybe these huge crowded maps are actually easier? Once you conquer about a third of the world, your supply is so high that you can overrun the rest of the world with your superior numbers.

JamesNinelives and Bryan317 like this.
  9. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost King

My experience has been that the calendar years are still too early for their era, not too late. It could come down to a difference in difficulty level and playstyle though.
    I believe that the calendar is moddable, and I would like to make a mod to more accurately reflect the turns on which the world reaches a new era on average. I don’t play enough games to have solid benchmarks for what turns those would be so. I estimate about turn 80 for classical, 140 for medieval, 180 for Renaissance, and no idea for the rest. Any help would be appreciated.

JamesNinelives and Bryan317 like this.
  10. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

I don't play huge maps anymore, which is rather disappointing. The AI refuses to expand, and/or when it's on a war spree, doesn't really bother to capture more than 2-3 cities before peace ensues. On a huge map I play deity/mara) with max civs and cs's, there is still plenty of room for the AI to expand beyond 4-6 cities, but doesn't really seem to be interested in doing this ( there are a few occasions to this, but it's rare).
    Maybe I'm too "old school" in my civ preferences ( I'm a BTS fanatic :D), but if I'm running an empire, it should feel like I'm running an empire, not just a few measly cities.

vyyt, Bascule2000 and Bryan317 like this.
  11. Bryan317

Bryan317 Warlord

I'm not sure I would necessarily call them easier, only because this mod has been balance so well. As you grow larger and gain more cities happiness is harder to control. And war-weariness can shoot up quite quickly because you have more cities. I find myself with a healthy military supply, but then once the war weariness kicks in it starts to make it drop negative to the point where I can't even build more units until I get the war weariness back under control. Off hand I thinked it jumped from 30 to 50 to 80 quickly last war. (I rejected 2 peace treaties) I did go Order though, not Autocracy.

Also... am I missing something on the military supply cap and the score value? It seems like the AI always has a superior score usually double of what mine is. But I build all the military increase building! They always seem to have more. And especially more score value. Does this value happen to decrease as you gain more cities?? Thanks to anyone that knows this.

On the calendar comments... I think it's about right. Sometimes I think I'm ahead, but then the AI seems to make an amazing comeback. There's probably something I did to shoot ahead. And then sometimes I think I'm behind, and then I look up and I'm 7 turns away from a great scientist...
    I personally play Epic, and I would definitely say the devs balanced everything around Standard as their initial template. It could use a fine tune (which they endlessly do) but it ultimately depends on in-game decisions and difficulty level. In my current game on Imortal, I'll admit most of the AI is behind the calendar technologically. But I've had to deal with one player that's been ahead the whole game. Example: It's 1996 and I've got to nuke and invade Austria because I think she's got 3 spaceship pieces done now! Nobody else is even close. Not even me. I have 73 techs. She has 76. Next closest is 68. And everyone else is 63-64. Also dont underestimate what you as the human can do to affect ALL players. You are having effects on your neighbors and they in turn are affecting other players. I imagine on deity they would all be a little further advanced and this might sound good... But you won't be winning as many wars LOL.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  12. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper Warlord

Air units taking damage from attacking land units is the dumbest thing the continually annoys me in civ, i know for balance reasons it exists but it's so dumb that my bombers take damage from attacking lancers like what are they doing ? throwing pointy sticks at a freaking bomber ?

13. Bryan317

Bryan317 Warlord

I 100% agree for anything pre gunpowder. I suppose even musket men and tercio could get lucky and hit you with a musket ball lol

Kim Dong Un and JamesNinelives like this.
  14. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

That's pilots losing airplane control out of uncontrollable laughing.
    Pikemen launching their pikes adds to the hilariousness.

15. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives King

I like to think Civ has a long and cherished history of unusual warfare. I remember when a spearman could take out a tank with a bit of luck ^^.

16. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Heh, my all time fav is playing with raging barbs active on ROM AND2 mod, and seeing a Barb sub causing havoc.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  17. Heinz_Guderian

Heinz_Guderian Chieftain

That is from Civ 3 right? man that game was awful.

18. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives King

Perhaps in objective terms, but I still spend a good number of hours of my life playing it :).

vyyt and tu_79 like this.
  19. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

You should check out some of the mods over in the CivIII forums. Several are quite enjoyable and worth the time to play.. And they work on WIN10 sys.

20. Zarggg

Zarggg Chieftain

Sarcasm aside, the reason maintenance in 4X/TBS games cost currency is an abstraction of having to supply your cities/units with the materials for them to maintain themselves, rather than allocating labor to do the repairs.

The "real life" equivalent is hiring private contractors/sub-contractors.