1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I won't touch the game again unitil the AI gets fixed.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by hardcore_gamer, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Tridus

Tridus Warlord

LOL! Quote of the day there. :) :goodjob:

2. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

Yeah. Unlike many Civ V lovers I've seen around here with less than 5 post and registered yesterday. Suspicious if you ask me...

3. Hassar

Hassar Chieftain

I've actually seen quite a few of long time lurkers like me post their thoughts about Civ 5 so far :p

4. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

Nah it's ok, I think he's Canadian - they're one of a kind. Constable Benton Fraser from RCMP has built my whole ethical code and because Paul Gross I love Canada neverendingly :goodjob:
    P.S. Sisiutil is Canadian too - I mean what else is there to say?

Oh Hassar's spoken again ^^

5. JECTX

JECTX Chieftain

I got halfway through my first marathon game and have decided that I need to wait until there is either a major patch or expansion released.

6. Murky

Murky Deity

One thing that might be nice to have more than a single setting for the difficulty level.

Like have AI be able to have settings like (beginner, rookie, average, intelligent, godly) then have penatly settings like Prince, King, Emperor, etc.

It might be able to done with a simple drop-down menu on the advanced setup screen that tells it you want the AI to play as "Smart" as you like rather than just use cheats.

7. Yoshimune

Yoshimune Haruhiism

I think the Civ 5 settings are already like that. The AI is as smart as it gets up to Prince ("normal" difficulty) and then the game explicitly says it gets advantages at higher levels.

8. TLF

TLF Prince

So, you're saying, if you want a challenging game don't play Civ5?

Out of curiosity, how many people play a game that takes as long as a Civ game in multiplayer?

9. charon2112

charon2112 King

Can you promise not to complain again until the AI gets fixed?

10. charon2112

charon2112 King

Civ multi-player games are super quick, all war games usually. Not very true to the spirit of Civ.

11. Auncien

Auncien Prince

Word.

12. DarkTempla

DarkTempla Chieftain

It's so true, which makes it so much more sad...

I am also a former CIV IV deity player and man, does the AI suck in war!!

Countless times I have seen the AI move by barbarian encampments with their archer without even trying to fire or even walking past EMPTY encampments...

Whats worse, I gifted a unit to a city state to defend itsself. But instead of putting it into its heavily fortressed city, they move it onto a hill next to an enemy city! It gets bombarded, so they move it back. "Flee!!" I scream, what do they do? Move it right back there the next turn!! They never even used their crossbow man once to fire on the city! They just moved back and forth and got bombarded into oblivion... --> This is the prime example of AI unit "intelligence" in this game...

Something I like to do, to give me some fun from the game until AI gets fixed and finally the game is fully accessible to modders and they bring out some first emergency fixes:
    Increase the no. of Civs a little above standard settings (e.g. Standard map with 12 CIVs) + Put all on random!
    I like it, its fun! Random civ, random environment settings, random map, random personalities etc.

Thats how I still get my kick out of it, and you get to try some stuff out! :)

13. Cilpot

Cilpot Pretentious Schmuck

Perhaps it was just collecting experience points from the city bombarding it?

14. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Is there ROP rape in civ5?
    :confused:

When I declare war on the AI, my units are moved out of the enemy's territory!

15. slightlymarxist

slightlymarxist Comrade

I actually think the AI is pretty good overall, but has some aspects broken which ruins it. Specifically:

1. The AI doesn't know how to lay siege to a city. It sourrounds me, moves units in, but only takes pot shots and lacks cohesion. The AI needs to think in terms of unit clusters, not individual units - you put the Riflemen in FRONT and keep the Cannon in REAR, fortify the Rifles and pound the city with the Cannons. Shouldn't be too hard to program? Right now the AI thinks like a bunch of confused, leaderless Lieutenants rather than a General.

2. The AI will gift several Cities when losing a war. This should be removed completely. Capturing a City, even with all enemy units gone, takes time and will likely result in the death of one or more of my units. It slows me down and allows the AI to replace losses. Why is he throwing his entire empire sans Capital at my feet just to get 10 turns of peace? It makes absolutely no sense.

16. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki Anton's key

ROP rape was patched in first or second update.

17. gibson1314

gibson1314 Chieftain

I just won on my first try at King and I have to say this is easier than civ4 by far. I always had problems with getting swapped by the AI war-machine in civ4 early game. In civ5 I am more than confident of beating the AI with a handful of units. I really hate the fact they have no navy at all (except England), and they always put troops into the water unprotected for me to destroy at will???

18. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Not building enough units? I always see AIs building a lot of units. Much more then I could make for same size empire without getting drown in upkeep cost. But I'm playing on King so what do I know...

What is bigger issue is that my every unit is worth at least twice as his, since tactical AI is really bad.

For example, why would anyone shoot with ranged unit, when enemy troops is at adjacent tile, if enemy can't be killed with such shot. That's pretty much your dead ranged unit in next turn. Yet, AI does it all the time, instead fleeing two tiles in opposite direction.

Another issue is overpowering power of range 3 units. AI can't cope when attacked with something like that.

19. Tijgersag

Tijgersag Chieftain

On the bright side, if the game is more simple in terms of options, it will attract lots of new players and that way keep the license alive and thriving. Not EVERYBODY over thirty still has time to play games for hours and hours.

Also, I could be mistaken, but wasn't the game designed with multiplayer in mind. Simple works better in Multiplayer and getting to make Civilization suitable for online multiplayer is quite a challenge.

If it is more for casual players like people say in this thread, give it to your friends as a gift! Get them hooked on Civilization! If it is that simple even your eighty year old mother could become a deity. She's seen the start of civilization after all.. ;-)

20. Tridus

Tridus Warlord

The multiplayer support is really bad, though. Turns take *forever*, there's serious lag, no animations, the AI seems even dumber then in single player, and on it goes.

Civ 4 did MP better, and considering the suckiness of Gamespy that's saying something. The buddy I played Civ 4 MP with regularly doesn't even want to play a second game of Civ 5 MP because of just how slow it is (particularly the time between turns).