ICBMs

Ronin228

Chieftain
Besides the ability to cause some serious damage to a city, is there any benefit to having a good arsenal of these? Does it discourge another Civ from attacking you?

I never used one of these before but I guess they would spend their time doing damage control rather than declaring wars. Still their friends might attack you.

Do other AI Civ's ever launch on you? I remember they did in Civ3, but I haven't had it happen in Civ4 yet.

Nukes rate highly in the equasion to evaluate 'Soldiers'. See The inner workings of the Demo screen explained.

I have not read anywhere that the A.I. launches nuclear weapons on a human player, and suspect that the S.D.I. etc. is useful only in multiplayer games. I have personally never had the A.I. launch an I.C.B.M. at me.

They are a total waste of resources. Very rarelly get through anyway, at least on Monarch level.

I don't agree they are a total waste, they helped me on a spacerace game once.

Nukes are only worthwhile if you are on the verge of winning a spacerace and want to send everyone back to the stone age on your final turn.

Seriously though, I haven't found much use for nukes. Nukes are too costly if your opponent has the SDI (which means you'll need 4 times as many nukes, since 3/4 will miss) and/or bomb shelters (which significantly reduce the damage).

If during the game you are able to get a good amount of nukes before your opponent can build the SDI and/or bomb shelters, chances are you've already won - you should easily be able to maintain a superior military and build the spaceship if you are this far ahead.

Does the AI factor in your potential to build nukes in diplomacy at all? Like, if you have a bunch are they less likely to declare war? Or do they disregard the potential for a nuclear counterattack?

If you have a bunch of nukes chances are your far more powerful than the other civs and they shouldn't attack you (most of the time).

If you just need a few votes for a diplomatic win, and everything is in place. A couple of nukes on your rival can reduce his population and give you the votes you need.

Theres only one way to use nukes.

The very moment the manhatten project gerts built, you switch production in every single city to icbms. Drop science to 0%, and use universal sufferage to hurry as many as possible.

After around 40 turns, you fire 2 icbms at every single city you see. This will kill 99% of their units... and then you can finish the job with axemen and warriors.

They're only useful in this way though. If you're way behind on the space race, its a good tactic to use, and it'll totally destroy the entire civ. If you wait more than about 40 turns (on marathon) after the manhatten project, then the AI will have had time to build bomb shelters, effectively making them useless. Without shelters you need 2 icbms to kill everything in a city... with shelters, you need 7, and with shelters and SDI you need 28 per city:sad:

They're only worth using if you're got a definate target, and you do it at the right time.

jimbob27 said:
Theres only one way to use nukes.
After around 40 turns, you fire 2 icbms at every single city you see. This will kill 99% of their units... and then you can finish the job with axemen and warriors.

I'm far from an expert(infact I've only made it to noble)so correct me if I'm wrong. Do you actually have icbms and still using warrs & axes? Maybe I'm more militarily minded but by the time I have icbms my warrs and axes would have been upgraded long ago.I'd have Tanks,infantry,planes,ect by then.Nukes or not.If you attacked me with warrs and axes you'd lose.:ar15:

Lol, I actually do have a a few warriors and axes left. Defending cities that are never gonna be attacked... theres no point wasting money upgrading them when a warrior still makes people happy.

This tactic doesn't work so well in multiplayer, but against the AI it always works. They'll probably be building something expensive in most of their cities when the manhatten project gets built, which means you get quite a few turns before the AI is going to build any bomb shelters. The AI always piles up all their units in cities... so as long as you can build 2 nukes for each city, you can destroy almost all of their units in a single turn. Use a spy to get their military plans and it's easy.

I have sent warriors and axes to do the razing when I used this tactic in a 1 on 1 multiplayer game. When I razed his capital with chariots in 1990 he wasn't best pleased;)

I always tend to have my inner cities defended by a warrior or archer. The AI is too dumb to bypass my border cities - the heavily defended ones - and so there is really no point in wasting money on units to defend the inner cities. Obviously this would be incredibly stupid in multiplayer, but the AI doesn't think so this works effectively in single player.

If you're way ahead late in the game it's a neat trick to build some nukes, then get the UN to pass nuclear non-proliferation. You still get to keep the ones you already have. :p

they are useful for creating a big grin on your face when the big mushroom cloud appears

Top Bottom