[MoO] ICEMOD: mod design, race design, strategies

ok- cool. but are you saying that according to your experience, it was too easy / or easier than before?

Inconclusive: I only played 1 partial game and it was only hard difficulty. All I can say is it was easier than my previous experiences on ICE... But not mind blowing easy. The race build was very specific to playing with fighter garrisons and fighter bays. So on that note, it should be easier if a race build specifically is designed for it. My gut says it's fine but again I have only been playing ice for 3 weeks. Other players who have been game balancing with you longer might have a better idea. I will try to play a less specific build next time to let you know. One that doesn't max out fighters. I will say, I purposely played with bombs which I complained in an earlier post that nobody plays with bombs that early on ice and that I wished that there was a bigger value to playing with bombs. Having early fighters actual caused me to need bombs because fighters couldn't destroy the planet bases fast enough... Too busy shooting missiles down and enemy fighters. So on that note I was very happy. I feel, all weapons should have value in the game and I feel the fighters allowed me to put value in bombs.

Gibbenzgob

So, after playing my same game more I do not believe having fighter bays is over powered. Class III shields stop those lower end PD weapons with ease... In order for my fighters to do damage I have to use better weapons to drop the shields on one side. Also, once the AI advances chemistry enough and gets fast missiles, the fighters can't really be used as effectively to shoot down missiles. They can to a limited degree. I think the early fighter bays just allow you to have a small window of opportunity which I think is great for weapon development.

Gibbenzgob

What is better than to start the new year with a fresh new ICE 11?

Some exciting new stuff in version 11, including a few actual new bug fixes and changes to the GUI. As usual, all is in the readme

that is a cool idea!
will definitely check how the game behaves with such a tech setting

yes, it should be lowered, and can also balance somehwat with the advanced tech cost.
will need some playing around with if it indeed works.

I actually tried something like that before and couldn't make it work. But who knows what Rocco can do.

OK, time to see what you broke changed in the new version.

Nice. The raiding thing I didn't even realize was a bug, the few times I tried it I thought I was just unlucky. How do you manage to find this stuff!

- Updated hardcoded SD/SA values in the code block for determining an a.i.'s
Strategic Objective.
A great man, how wise he sounds. Now if only we could get that translated into English.
(What's SD/SA and how does it affect the game?)

Experimental tech trees are for 2017? ;)

I really like the missile behaviour fix in the previous version, btw.

Why the extra-harsh nerf to planetary Fighters? ("Reduced number of Interceptors per launch from 6 to 2, number of Bombers from 8 to 4 and Heavy Fighters from 10 to 6.") To account for positions in the tech tree?

Now if only we could get that translated into English.
(What's SD/SA and how does it affect the game?)

- Each a.i.'s Strategic Objective is determined using the racial traits that that a.i. has received. Each racial trait has a certain weighting and combined lead to a score. That number is used as an input for determining the Objective.
The Ship Defense and Ship Attack values that are listed in this part of the code are hardcoded instead of variable and they proved to be unchanged from version 1.0 still. As a result these values were not taken into account at all. Updated these hardcoded SD/SA values and they are now taken into for account for determining an a.i.'s Strategic Objective. Note that the same issue exists in MOO2 classic 1.40, as the 1.0 values differ from 1.31/1.40. (20, 40, 25, 50 in 1.0 and 25, 50, 20, 50 in 1.31/1.40), which will be solved in my upcoming 'Vanilla 2.2' patch-mod.

- Experimental tech trees... yeah "thanks for the reminder" :) (so many things to do still)

- Fighter Garrison, I guess I could make them launch in flights of 3 instead of 2. Bombers are also on the low side actually, as these slow dudes need to return to base after every shot instead of after 4 shots. Perhaps a 3/5/6 could be better in fact.

What is better than to start the new year with a fresh new ICE 11?

Some exciting new stuff in version 11, including a few actual new bug fixes and changes to the GUI. As usual, all is in the readme

Wonderful to see! I look forward to a game or two next week when I return from holiday and a break from playing this game to play GC3 (coming along but has a LONG way to go) and some Civ5.

I'll have to install on another computer as my MOO computer has died horribly it seems.

I'll write up some game stories once I get familiar again and hope others playing IceX do the same.

Hi.

I´m playing ICEMOD X and it´s very good, but, it´s possible to mod the planetary bombard? AI tends to kill the others AI, so, in time, there´s no one to trade or fight. I think that limiting the bombard it´s the best way to do a more "stable" game.

For example; if planet have 1/4 of the maximun capacity, AI will bombard and destroy, but, if not, invade. If planet have 1/4 or less of pop, but, have more than 5 bulidings (for example), AI will invade.

Some ideas.

thanks and nice idea, it is about a.i. decision making to invade or bombard-
a code area i have not spent time on (yet)
but perhaps in the future i will be able to tweak it.

Nice.

Just an idea:
Is it possible to move Evo.Mutation to Hyper Advanced Biology and make it researchable repetitively?

dont think i can get this to work unfortunately...

about ice 11:
any opinions on the change that landing a colony ship now happens after exploration of star systems, good/bad?
talking about this

dont think i can get this to work unfortunately...

about ice 11:
any opinions on the change that landing a colony ship now happens after exploration of star systems, good/bad?
talking about this

Too bad for the Evo.

Yes, it's nice what you have done. And very useful :goodjob:

Hi.

I´m playing ICEMOD X and it´s very good, but, it´s possible to mod the planetary bombard? AI tends to kill the others AI, so, in time, there´s no one to trade or fight. I think that limiting the bombard it´s the best way to do a more "stable" game.

For example; if planet have 1/4 of the maximun capacity, AI will bombard and destroy, but, if not, invade. If planet have 1/4 or less of pop, but, have more than 5 bulidings (for example), AI will invade.

Some ideas.

The easiness and carelessness with which colonies are wiped out by the late game is one of the things that has always bugged me the most about MOO2. I agree it would be nice to have some sort of fix for this.

Just found this mod a few days ago, and I love it. Great work!

Some feedback:

1) Having more powerful races on Ice-X impossible is fun, but sometimes the racial picks become a bit too homogenous, detracting from the feel of variety in the game. For example, in one of my games 5/6 opponents all had the subteranian trait. Several times most of my opponents will have maxed out skills in both space attack and space defense (meklar, alkari, mrrshan, etc). Thus you lose the cool dynamic where, say, the alkari had awesome defense, while others had awesome attack, and the special traits actually defined the way a race was, like how only certain races were subterinian when it made sense for their lore.

I would much prefer if instead of placing the added difficulty into the race design (where it inherently will destroy some distinctivness, there being only so many picks), that instead the difficulty level was simply uniformly tweaked on ice-x impossible, perhaps just cutting the build costs/research rates/economics of all the ai races by a flat amount.

Alternatively, if that couldn't be easily coded, perhaps proliferating "creative" among most/all of the ai races instead of some other picks would still preserve difference well while allowing the other traits to define the racial differences more. Also, it would mitigate the ai's poor performance in picking tech.

2) I would love to see game speed settings that slow tech advancement, perhaps an epic setting for 3x research points? Perhaps done through an alternate ice-x epic exe with the expanded tech requirements? Would be fun to get a chance to experience a little warfare at each research level, instead of blazing through.

3) I'm not sure how much you want to alter things, but I think a major problem in moo2's design was the effect of the production and research buildings in producing without pop units, most notably the research lab, supercomputer, and autolab. In practice this usually meant that, at least during all critical expansion, most of my colonies became production, while buikding the research buildings and leaving them unoccupied, meaning relativelly little research was done by actual scientists.

I'd love to see things changed so the buildings give a higher per pop bonus, but less of a base bonus. Thus, the far flung produuction empire of tiny colonies with autolabs built doesn't get to always outcompete an empire of more developed worlds attempting to research.

Anyway, not sure how much is within the scope of your plans, either way, thanks for creating the great mod!

2) I would love to see game speed settings that slow tech advancement, perhaps an epic setting for 3x research points? Perhaps done through an alternate ice-x epic exe with the expanded tech requirements? Would be fun to get a chance to experience a little warfare at each research level, instead of blazing through.

I would also love to be able to play the game at a slower pace. I just wonder if tech trading might be a problem. Since there'll be more time to trade (or extract) techs, the tech level might tend to plateau at that of the most advanced race.

I would also love to be able to play the game at a slower pace. I just wonder if tech trading might be a problem. Since there'll be more time to trade (or extract) techs, the tech level might tend to plateau at that of the most advanced race.

Good point, though the AI always seems reluctant to trade techs in my games.

If possible a reduction to spying chance to steal techs? Not sure if that could be coded.

Top Bottom