IDEA/DISCUSS Rise of the Ottomans

McMonkey

----Evertonian----
SLeague Staff
Hello

At the moment I am quite busy working on my Ancient Rome scenario as wall as working on improved version II of my WWII Europe scenario. Oh, plus RL!:crazyeye:
The idea of this thread is to start getting together some ideas, graphics etc... as well as being a good diversion when work on the above two gets too monotonous and I want to be creative. If I get a good respone then I will have a go at it, I may have a go anyway!

The idea for the scenario would be thus:
- Large map of Anatolia and Balkans
- Start at around 1300 with Osman as the ruler of the Ottoman Turks
- Other nations could be:
*Seljuk Turks
*Byzantines (+Grand Catalan Company)
*Serbs (Albanians)
*Bulgars
*Wallachians
*Hungarians (+Bosnians/Croats)
*Crusaders (+Knights Hospitailer/Knights of St. John)
*Venetians
*Genoese
*Petchenegs
*Polish
*Austrians
*Mamelukes
*Safavids
*Holy Roman Empire (+Holy League)
*Russians

A lot of the choice will be down to the size of the playing area and the time scale. I do like grand scale empire building scenarios, especially when you are starting almost from scratch.

Feel free to post any ideas, links to good graphics for this period would be welcome!

Hello

At the moment I am quite busy working on my Ancient Rome scenario as wall as working on improved version II of my WWII Europe scenario. Oh, plus RL!:crazyeye:
The idea of this thread is to start getting together some ideas, graphics etc... as well as being a good diversion when work on the above two gets too monotonous and I want to be creative. If I get a good respone then I will have a go at it, I may have a go anyway!

The idea for the scenario would be thus:
- Large map of Anatolia and Balkans
- Start at around 1300 with Osman as the ruler of the Ottoman Turks
- Other nations could be:
*Seljuk Turks
*Byzantines (+Grand Catalan Company)
*Serbs (Albanians)
*Bulgars
*Wallachians
*Hungarians (+Bosnians/Croats)
*Crusaders (+Knights Hospitailer/Knights of St. John)
*Venetians
*Genoese
*Petchenegs
*Polish
*Austrians
*Mamelukes
*Safavids
*Holy Roman Empire (+Holy League)
*Russians

A lot of the choice will be down to the size of the playing area and the time scale. I do like grand scale empire building scenarios, especially when you are starting almost from scratch.

Feel free to post any ideas, links to good graphics for this period would be welcome!

If you do decide to do this scenario, I do have a lot of new/modified medieval/crusader/knight units that I think you might like. Many have never seen the light of day.

And I would also do up some improved city graphics too. :)

Btw, one scenario that is dying to be done would be a good Troy scenario, between the Greeks and Trojans, along with our heroes Hector and Achilles....

Any graphics would be good, I tend to save them upo for a rainy day. I have not seen many Ottomans about, most of the other nations are covered though. If I start collecting some units now I may get around to doing this game one day as it is one of my favorite periods of history.
I have been looking at some maps of the Balkans and Anatolia trying to work out how big the map should be but I am not ready to start building a map from scratch just yet. Will try and crack on with the Ancient game first.

I do not know a lot about the Trojan wars so I am unlikely to work on that myself. I would be willing to create a map for it though, if anyone else has units and the patience to build a the scenario. I did not see the Brad Pitt film as I heard it was horsehockye, Alexander was a bit of a dissapointment too! Irish Macedonians with eyeliner?!?

I'd love to see it done.
I've made a couple byzantine/crusadial scns (Outremer, Fading Lights, Komnenai, Mamluks, Heraclius), so I have a lot of graphics (these for Outremer and Fading Lights are weak, though), and also a couple of maps of the region. I'm too lazy to search for them now, but I'm sure You can find them, somewhere.

Squonk
I remember your Komnenai scenario well. I realy liked the idea of training areas for most of the infantry and cavalry. It made for a much more challenging game, hope you don't mind if a borrow some of your ideas for the games I am working on at the moment. I also liked the map as it was much more detailed than the usual pan-european ones. Ottoman graphics are what I need most, I think I have found the one you posted on the Apolyton site, it was entitled 'almost_all_heressonian_units'. I think the units are the same as the ones in Komnenai. Will try and track down the other scenarios too!
I am making good progress on the Ancient scenario at the moment, finished the paper plan of the tech tree today. Once I have finished that project I will probably start on this one. Would love to make a game that includes Vlad the Impaler!
If I plan the map carefully I may use it also for a game about the Balkans between 1900 and 1925 which I started about four years ago and never finished. The map I made then was a bit small so it makes sense to kill two birds with one stone!
Cheers

I still intend to build this one day. Looking forward to making the map which will also be useful for another idea I have had!
I have just found some excellent Ottoman units in a scenario by Exile about the Crusades, they were exactly what I was looking for:goodjob:
Three guesses who the artist was who made these fine units...yes, Fairline, the man is a force of nature!
At the moment I am quite busy with my Vietnam war scenario and also intend to carry on with the Ancient Rome one too. I will get round to this, hopefully some time this year!

Keep posting any thoughts/graphics as I will be coming back to this thread as soon as I get time!;)

Gold patches:
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/downloads/cedric/
(Without which many of the scenarios will not play)

CivII Downloads collection:
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/downloads/
(I would tend to check the scenarios over 1MB first. Not a universal rule but a good guide)

New scenarios database:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=78

Apolyton CivII Scenario creation forum:
http://apolyton.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=29

The Spainish civilization site is also well worth a look (try Googling it!)

Thanks for the help, I have several versions of civ, not sure which number is which as they all seem to have names instead of numbers but none of which work right now as I just got a new mac pro and it doesn't seem to like playing games on windows OS partition.
Been playing a new game called age of empires 3 which seems to be very similar until they come up with a patch for playing games on the win OS.
Can you tell me if you can use the graphics from one game to another as AoE has almost the same editor set up for game backgrounds and characters?
See you live in the UK, is Cardiff near Bristol as we have family near there?

Thanks for the info
Yes we live in Orlando next door to the mouse ;) I'm a graphics design student here, have a couple of semesters till I complete my degree.
Have to do illustration for the course and enjoy history so try to combine the two.
Are Wales people like the Scots, I know the Scots I have met always tell us not to call them English and get very touchy about being from Scotland, have your people all been from Wales? Don't know too much except it is left off England near Ireland were the ancestors came from. Also they have a red dragon flag :)
Was thinking of doing some historical figures for one of my projects so guess they could work well in a game, from what I have seen most of them seem to be static in civ2 but the smaller ones seem to be animated?

Wow, told you you Brits were touchy about your origins LoL no different from us, if you ask any of us were we are from you'll get a history back to the home country, usually with deviations into links from the native population of the tribes who were here before Europeans arrived.
Our family traces back to Ireland with some Dutch and Seminole mixed in, by way of Ellis NY, came over after the potato famine, moved down to Orlando around 1870 as general labor.
We live just North of Orlando and the mouse has his home to the South, from our front yard we can see shuttle launches from the space center and we have a friend who works on the shuttle there, working on the payload bay, it is an amazing place to go see and if you ever get the chance you should bring the family and take the tour, specially if you get the chance to see the launch. The shear power of a launch is something you never forget:)
The last one came over the house to the landing strip and we heard two quick bangs as it broke the sound barrier that were like the sound of an IED exploding and the whole house shook.
You have a daughter so I will assume that means you are married? funny when you speak to people online you form ideas about them but quite often you get the wrong impression ;)
I looked up Hastings is that the one South of London near France? Do all the rest of the family live there or did they move to Wales when you were younger? Is your wife from there?
I'm 24 and at college, think I said before, in the National Guard and have a job as a teaching assistant at the college. I love meeting and talking to people from different cultures and countries, have had a little experience of that having completed my tours.
Not married but we plan to when we both finish college, my girl works as a paralegal. Have moved back with the family whilst I get my degree which has good and bad points but mostly good, is great to have home cooked meals and dad is great with fixing stuff like my car.
I met some Brits when we were in Basra, maybe I met some of your relations ;) They were a really great bunch and their field rations are much better than the ***t that we get LoL
I see you are an electrician? That's a great job judging by how much they charge here, not too good at that practical stuff myself but give me a pencil of graphic tablet and I feel right at home.
Thanks for the outline on English history can seem pretty confusing but I love those History channel movies and saw one about how the Roman's killed off the Druids (think they were Celts?) just a few nites ago. Still I guess American history can seem a little confusing to you guys? specially with the Spanish and French and all those different internal wars, let alone kicking the Brits out LoL.
Well you said to feel free to ask LoL (although I think you meant about civ) and I guess waffling means you like to talk as you may notice I share that trait LoL
As to south or north we are more Irish than either LoL with a lotta pride in the Seminole heritage. Now that is an interesting history to look up ;) Might even think about doing map and characters for that.
Speak soon Welsh (or is that Brit?)

Hey Hastoman :)
My family has a long history of fighting against and for the English, both here and in Ireland so was nice to be on the same side LoL Hopefully I have finished as we only have to do two tours, under the present rules, I really need to get my education finished after a four year break.
Your right about the net, without it I would have been lost as writing letters isn't my strongest skill, email and IM is almost part of the army as much as your M16. Don't know how they managed before when the only contact with home was by letter and maybe a phone, now and then, you can connect with IM and a laptop now and talk with home.
I always wanted to visit England one day, specially London has so much history and neat places to see, do your mom and dad still live there? When did you live in Hastings? Are you wishing for a boy this time?
Am I sounding like a cop here? LoL just tell me to shud up if so ;)
If you are from London are you Cockneys? I saw you have your own King and Queen who wear velvet suits covered in pearls I take it they aren't related to the others in Buckingham palace?
Not sure about seeing the world as I only got to see Saudi, and Jordan with most of my time being in the Green Zone and on the road down to the south, didn't get anywhere near Europe still I could have got two years at the ice :)
They are doing a good job in Afghanistan some ways I would have preferred that to Iraq at least it is more straight forward. Even so the Iraqi's are great people and very friendly to us.
Have you managed to travel much, guess with children it isn't so easy going to another country as it is here? Not that Americans go overseas that much this is such a huge country you could just as easily travel your life and still not have seen it all, but I hope to go see Europe and China one day, maybe Russia too St Petersburg looks really interesting.
Perhaps I will come see you in Wales some day ;)
Do any of your family live in other countries, I recall you said your cousin lived here in the USA, do any others live here?
Hope you slept well is just getting late here and I have things to do and places to go tomorrow, taking Gemma to dinner with friends.
Speak again
Josh

Hi ya 'mate' :)
I'm told that is the way you guys say hello or is that Australian? LoL
Turkey sounds like a fun place and Budapest must have been a wonderful place to go to.
Could have got posted to Alaska which would have been a lot harder for me it's in the 60s F here and it is freezing for me imagine having to be up there where it is below zero LoL
One of my friends got reassigned after they reorganized the state guard and had the option to either get a discharge or move north, bummer for him as he wants to stay in but doesn't want to move only other choice is to change his specialization. He has a sweet job to do with simulations.
You worried about ID theft you need to get a Mac ;) don't need anti-virus and if you run on cable you don't need a firewall.
I know Haines been there a few times have friends in Davenport. Talking of small world I am guessing your email addy is also your name? is your last name common over there as I never heard it here although the short version is a common Irish name, I ask as I had a guy in my 3D class last semester with the same last name who is also a brit and wondered if you knew him.
Well better get back to finish my classwork have two sketches to complete for class in the morning, I hate freehand sketching Grrrr
Josh

Your BIG problem with starting year of 1300 is the number of civs in Anatolia. It is known as the Principality period in Turkish history.

here is a map of principalities I found online from 1308 (I think there were a few more at 1300)

Top Bottom