[Idea] Dynamic wonder names!

For me, that's the opposite of creative. I'm German, and when I hear "Anmutland" or "Breitweg", it simply comes off as ridiculous. I know that this is what Graceland and Broadway means, but still, if similar "wonders" would have developed in Germany, they'd never have been called "Breitweg" or such.

Going with national equivalents, such as Studio Babelsberg as Germany's Hollywood, would be possible, but also problematic since many civs lack such equivalents.

/sign :goodjob:

Well, I do like the idea of dynamic wonder names, but it would most likely only work for national ("small") wonders, like
Wall Street - Mainhattan (this is the way the inner city of Frankfurt is called, German's and maybe even Europe's financial centre)
but
the Nibelungenlied could be seen as Heroic Epic or National Epic :confused:, so searching equivalents doesn't really work in all cases. :(

I think it would indeed make most sense if only national wonders are renamed. World Wonders are simply one of a kind and not replacable, it would make very little sense to have a Khmer name for Stonehenge (a Dutch alternative might be "de Hunebedden", though there are differences).

I think it would indeed make most sense if only national wonders are renamed. World Wonders are simply one of a kind and not replacable, it would make very little sense to have a Khmer name for Stonehenge (a Dutch alternative might be "de Hunebedden", though there are differences).

Maybe วงกลมหิน, or Wngklm h̄in?

I'm all for various national wonder names, since most national wonders exist in a variety of countries, and thus finding names shouldn't be too hard.

Being ignorant of many languages, I would be clueless when the game give me the message that:

ゆうのめがみのぞう has been built in Kyoto
Spoiler :
The Statue of Liberty has been built in Kyoto)

Would you have an idea of what the following would mean?

"La DGSE has been built in Paris"
Spoiler :
Scotland Yard has been built in Paris

I dont even want to know the traductions in Nahuatl or Babylonian :crazyeye:

So don't take it bad, but I don't think its a good idea. Sorry.

I knew the DGSE, but a name like DGSE ([generic wonder name]) could work for national wonders. Non-latin alphabets like your katakana (?) example would definitly be too much.

I also doubt that Civ is able to display Babylonian cuneiform script or Egyptian hieroglyphs :lol:

Well adding the generic name into brackets for National Wonders would help.

I don't think this apply at all to World Wonders are they are really supposed to be that : a unique WORLD wonder without any equivalent elsewhere in the world.

It could be applied to National Wonders, but again not every Civ would have available equivalents.

That said, here are a couple suggestion that spring to my mind for National Wonders:

French : Le musée du Louvre (+100% culture), Versaille (Summer Palace), Chantiers de Saint Nazaire (Ironworks), Les Ecrins (National Park), Echelon (Scotland Yards)

Japanese : Himeji-jō (+100% culture)

German : Goethe Institut (+100% culture), Ruhrgebiet (Ironworks), Reichstag (Summer Palace)

Stonehenge is such a generic name that you can just keep the name in english. Same with Statue of Liberty. There is already a language function in the game. Wonder names should be in english if you play with english language and german if you play with german language. So the problem is only to make wonder names more generic. For example Broadway or Temple of Kukulkan are too specific. Specific wonder names are an issue for realism because if Christian Ethiopia builds the Temple of Kukulkan it makes absolutely zero sense. Anyone can build a Stonehenge, or Temple of the Sun, on the other hand.

Chantiers de Saint Nazaire
Ironworks has to be on the sea? :(

Stonehenge is such a generic name that you can just keep the name in english. Same with Statue of Liberty. There is already a language function in the game. Wonder names should be in english if you play with english language and german if you play with german language. So the problem is only to make wonder names more generic. For example Broadway or Temple of Kukulkan are too specific. Specific wonder names are an issue for realism because if Christian Ethiopia builds the Temple of Kukulkan it makes absolutely zero sense. Anyone can build a Stonehenge, or Temple of the Sun, on the other hand.
You can't really change most of the wonder names into generic versions though. Parthenon? Hagia Sofia? Pentagon (don't say something like "military HQ" because I'll be damned if everybody doesn't have one of those ;))? Spiral Minaret?

The game would lose a huge part of its appeal if these wonders were to be renamed, replaced, or removed.

Well, for most of them, a renaming isn't necessary. A Buddhist Japan can still build something called Spiral Minaret, it simply is a building dedicated to Buddhist religion then. Same for Pentagon, maybe the most generic wonder name in the game. The name works particularly well for Greece ;)

ゆうのめがみのぞう has been built in Kyoto

I can't believe I was able to read that. But wouldn't it be じゆうのめがみのぞう, or even 自由の女神の像?

[/animedork]

There's nothing much to 'piece it together' either, just a letter missing...

by "piece it together" i meant understand it piecewise, not fix it. i know very little japanese, but instead of looking up "statue of liberty", i looked up ぞう, めがみ and ゆう, then since ゆう didn't quite fit, looked for a translation of liberty/freedom.

Ironworks has to be on the sea? :(

You can't really change most of the wonder names into generic versions though. Parthenon? Hagia Sofia? Pentagon (don't say something like "military HQ" because I'll be damned if everybody doesn't have one of those ;))? Spiral Minaret?

The game would lose a huge part of its appeal if these wonders were to be renamed, replaced, or removed.

Hagia Sofia is a Cathedral. The Pentagon is probably the MOST generic name of Civ wonders. It's a pentagonal building... just like stonehenge I don't see what's bad in a simple translation in this case.

Maybe it's too confusing for players. For example:

If you get the message: Netherlands completed the 'Vijfhoek' or 'Het Vrijheidsbeeld'

Not everybody would understand that they build the Pentagon or the Statue of Liberty.

Literal translations are not a good idea, but if a civ has an equivalent that is famous enough we could use it.

Top Bottom