Idea involving religion/wonders (probably a bad one)

1. Each civ would have 1 or 2 unique wonders (UWs), which would expire with time (Ie: the Babylonians can't build the Hanging Gardens say after ~500 BC).

In a game as Rome, I was surprised to find that Stonehenge was constructed after Taoism had been founded. I just assumed Egypt had spent all that time beforehand working on the Pyramids, but later I received a notice saying the Pyramids had been built - beating Christianity by two turns.

Babylon Hanging Gardends and Spiral Minaret.
Rome Circus Maximus and Pisa.
America Hollywood and Statue of Liberty.
Egypt Lighthouse* and Pyramids.

You see, here's where we start running into problems. Aside from the currently balanced UHV goals that would have to be revised and the inaccuracy that comes with civs like Babylon being required for the Spiral Minaret, we have trouble trying to apply this rigid form of two wonders per civ to every civilization. Accuracy ultimately suffers to make this rule work, and how unique do the wonders become if we're to balance every combination?

How about civs in tougher positions get more wonders? Civs like England, for example, definitely deserve less wonders than say, India.

I like this system of making historically accurate wonders but, you have to realize you would need some serious balancing and coming up with 2 or so wonders for every civ. Theres another problem, Egypt has 3 wonders: pyramids, lighthouse, and library.

On a side note any possiblity mausoleum of mausollos will be added? Theres already a graphic for it also.

In a game as Rome, I was surprised to find that Stonehenge was constructed after Taoism had been founded. I just assumed Egypt had spent all that time beforehand working on the Pyramids, but later I received a notice saying the Pyramids had been built - beating Christianity by two turns.

You see, here's where we start running into problems. Aside from the currently balanced UHV goals that would have to be revised and the inaccuracy that comes with civs like Babylon being required for the Spiral Minaret, we have trouble trying to apply this rigid form of two wonders per civ to every civilization. Accuracy ultimately suffers to make this rule work, and how unique do the wonders become if we're to balance every combination?

What about this, wonders only appear and are linked to certian events...
It probably won't work for many, but perhaps the
1. Hanging Gardens would only appear to Babylon if it reaches its 2nd and 3rd goals.
2. The Spiral Minaret would be available to Babylon to build if it becomes Muslim.
3. The Lighthouse would only be available for Egypt if it has a city in Alexandria.
4. Circus Maximus would be available fore Rome to build only if it has an army of x legionaries.

and so on...
I would -sort of- be a new system integrated, IMO it would be more realistic if balanced, I currently don't like the idea that wonders are linked to sciences.

I think Unique wonders are a bad idea. Having a wonder that is only avaible for one civilization, its like, boring. I would prefer Culturally linked Wonders, like:
Notre Dame:
Can be built by: England, France, Germany, Rome, Spain and Vikings.
Hagia Sophia:
Can be built by: Greece, Russia, Turkey
Spiral Minaret:
Can be built by: Arabia, Egypt, Babylon, Persia, Turkey
Taj Mahal:
Can be built by: Persia, India, Mongols
Temple of Kukulkan:
Can be built by: Aztec, Inca and any native city in meso america (to represent the original builders, the Maya)
etc...

So would I, though I think The Sistine Chapel, Notre Dame and the Spiral Minaret should require a particular religion.

(I haven't mentioned Angkor Wat or the Hagia Sophia as Hinduism and Buddhism rarely spread to Angkor and the Hagia Sophia might as well be built according to culture).

Concern about Unique Wonders

After some further thought, I realized the disadvantage of making wonder production more realistic. Wonders infer certain benefits, often these benefits are civilization wide. The question is, if we limit wonders to specific civs, would this not be like simply adding new traits to them?

The appeal of wonders is that they allow you to "further customize" your civ, bringing it more in line with your play style. If you're a warmonger, there are wonders to meet that style and so on.

As a result, I think that though more historically accurate, attaching specific wonders to specific civs will make the game less variable, and will be akin to giving civilizations a trait that they activate after the game starts.

I dont like idea. Where will be competition? If it has to be realistic, simply give script to build it in realistic year and realistic place. No thanks :cool:

I'm also against the idea of Unique wonders. It would be nice though if most of the time Pyramides are built by Egypt (which already happens in most games and it would happen even more often if we would remove Stonehenge), Parthenon by Greece, etc. This can be done by changing AI flavors:

- Egypt favors Culture
- Greece favors Science

and then change the flavors of the wonders:

e.g. Pyramides: <FlavorType>FLAVOR_CULTURE</FlavorType>
<iFlavor>10</iFlavor>

We can also assign certain technologies to new spawned civs. e.g Greece doesn't build Oracle in most of my games because it doesn't have the technology (i.e. Priesthood).

We should also change some AI values to force AIs like Greece or Egypt to build more wonders and maybe we should replace some European wonders and add more from Asia.

The in-game Oracle isn't necessarily the Oracle of Delphi.

Okay, the in-game Oracle doesn't necessarily have to represent the Oracle of Delphi.

I hate stumbling into Pedant's corner.

Top Bottom