Idea Proposal: RFC Europe Industrial Age

Frankly, the map of Europe looks so comprehensively different after the rise and fall of Napoleon, that I think the *only* way to accurately depict a history of Europe is to end around the year 1800. The post-Congress of Vienna continental system was a whole new world: balance of power through cascading alliances, rise of nationalism, unification of Germany and Italy, rise of reactionary monarchies in Austria and Russia, decline & balkanization of former Ottoman Empire, age of imperialism and 'scramble for Africa'. It'd require a pretty comprehensively different set of game mechanics to properly represent.

I would end the game in 1700, and make this a game focusing on the Middle Ages & Reformation. I have yet to see a reason to play past 1700.

If anything, it would be fun to jump straight ahead to the early 20th century and give us a pre-WW1 sandbox to play in, but I can imagine the sheer # of troops you’d have to manage to simulate WW1 would kill most computers. And you’d have to find a way to weaken doom stacks to make trench warfare possible.

I wonder if it would be possible to have defending artillery fire first at an entire attacking stack... something like that.

Publicola and The Turk is right IMO: Anything like this would need a different mod in my opinion as well.
Adding an Industrial era expansion to RFCE would be quite forced over the current mechanics.
If anything, I'm thinking about reducing the turn number in the last century. You can check more about this in one of the timeline threads.
Having said that, if anyone want to try their hands on adding something like this as a modmod to RFCE, I wouldn't mind it of course.

Ok. Here is my idea of a propose civ for this "Industrial" expansion:

New Civ in the Industrial Era:
Kingdom of Greece - start in 1821 AD
Leader: George I
UU: Maniots (Grenadier)
UB:?

Kingdom of Belgium - start in 1930 AD
Leader: Leopold II
UU: ?

New Civ in the Pre-Industrial Era:
Kingsom of Savoy - start in 1001 AD
Leader: Amadeus I, Victor Emanuel II
UU: Bersagliere (Rifleman)

I don't have any suggestion over UP, UHV or any UB and UU. If anyone had any ideas, please tell me.

Do you know how to code/mod?

Yes. But i'm not an expert.
So my best recommendation to you, is to not bother writing plans on here, and work on it by yourself. When it is complete release it. Don't release something unfinished/something that has no work behind it.

Kingdom of Belgium - start in 1830 AD

The Belgian Congo: Build colonial project (like Vinland for Vikings)
Mechelen-Brussel: build first railway network between your cities in Continental Europe
Hercule Poirot: Infiltrate Greate Detective Spy in London :D

Kingdom of Greece - start in 1821 AD

Battle of Navarino: manipulate England, France and Russia to declare war Ottoman empire [in first 10 turns]
United States of the Ionian Islands: get a city through diplomacy [excluding Ottoman empire] or as a gift
Enosis: control Crete, Epirus, Thessaloniki, Rhodes, Morea, Thessaly

I would end the game in 1700, and make this a game focusing on the Middle Ages & Reformation. I have yet to see a reason to play past 1700.

I agree with this for the main RFCE mod. Then you could have the separate RFCE Industrial mod, starting in 1700 and finishing in 1950, one turn per year.

There's plenty of content from RFC and DOC which could be brought in for the proposed new mod. World Congresses, machine guns with collateral damage immunity for trench warfare, also some elements of decolonisation could be built in for later periods. Also you'd probably need to add Sicily, Florence and other Italian states to make the Italian unification a viable challenge / thing that happens.

I do think it would be best as a standalone mod, rather than any sort of RFCE expansion. Maybe you could keep some aspects and concepts, like colonies, but new factions would be needed and old ones (Arabs, Cordoba, ERE, Kiev, Novgorod, Burgundy, Aragon etc) wouldn't even feature. Arguably if you're building a new mod then the map could expand eastwards a little as well, so the Ottomans have Iraq and a land access to Russia for the Crimean War.

Either way, it would be a big undertaking imo, @MalayanGamer make sure you are committed to that amount of work or you may just end up wasting your time. I don't want to discourage you, but so many ambitious mods get started and abandoned as they can't deliver, so think carefully about how much work it would be.

Top Bottom