If Civ IV and Civ V were both released today, which one would you be playing?

Which Civ would you be playing?

• Civ IV

Votes: 199 44.1%
  • Civ V

Votes: 252 55.9%

• Total voters
Civ V.

Not only is it in better shape at launch (how quickly we've forgotten Civ 4's bumpy launch), but the tactical combat and better UI would be the clinchers.

Have you posted the same poll in the Civ IV sub-forum? If you want good results (as in less biased towards one or the other) you should add the number of responses from each (weighted according to the number of responses of course).

It is hard to me. I like the Civ5 combat system, but I don't like buying everything in Civ5.
I like almost Civ4 everything, but I don't like so many many armys standing stack to bit a victory.

finally, I decide to vote Civ5, It will be improved and patched and moded in the future days after all.

Over the years I've played Civ I, III, IV, and now Civ V (although admittedly only in demo form). For me, the 1-unit-per-turn and the hex changes have made the game much more enjoyable (stack of doom was just boring!)

Civ 4 because of the complexity and the fun micro management. I've played Civ 5 for a week tomorrow and I'm already bored, so yes Civ 4 for me. Just for the record, I was never bored when I played Civ 4 vanilla. [civ4] :)

It's the first time I am asking myself that question. With 2, 3 and 4 never came back to the previous version.

fun micro management

I think that's the crux of the issue right there. A lot of people feel that micromanagement is a fun, challenging aspect of Civ that deepens the experience - and that if you have to micromanage a lot, you're a good player. Some of those people appear to miss that experience in Civ V.

A lot of other people don't want to micromanage at all, and feel that it is boring or meaningless, only challenging by being tedious, and don't see a correlation between skill and willingness to endure boredom. :) Some of those players appear to enjoy the fact that Civ V doesn't require so much micromanagement.

There's no right or wrong here; it just comes down to personal preference. I myself obviously fall into the latter category - micromanagement to me is the equivalent of watching paint dry.

Can I do it? Sure... just like I CAN sit still for hours and watch paint dry. Do I want to spend my free time that way? Do I think my ability to sit and watch paint dry for hours makes me especially intelligent or capable? Hell no. :lol:

There is another way. Having the possibility to micromanage if needed, is not the same as being forced to micromanage. The key is to provide a way to manage things at the top level while also allowing for the bottom level to be micromanaged if the player feels like it is needed. For example, if the player is in a way against a very powerful enemy, he might want to micromanage. But if he has a big advantage, he might be happy just with the global controls.

So is not about being forced to micromanage, but about having the chance to do it.

So is not about being forced to micromanage, but about having the chance to do it.

I agree that in a perfect world, Civ 5 would make everyone happy - and the players who want to micromanage could do so, while the players who don't want to wouldn't have to. But unfortunately, software development doesn't usually work like that - time and resources being what they are, the scope of any product is more limited than we might like.

Hopefully future patches, mods, and expansions will restore some of the micromanagement that many players miss, without forcing players who prefer streamlined gameplay to be dragged down by spreadsheets. :)

Here is a fun thought experiment, if vanilla Civ IV and Civ V were both released today, which one would you be playing? For this experiment also assume they were both released without any major bugs, and released under different, but equally reputable game studios.

Problem here is that while people recall a fixed civ4, the world has never seen a fixed nor even a gameplay balanced version.

Civ5 is a good start but good lord, it needs major patching not only for the game play bugs, but also the overall gameplay mechanics. Civ5 really needs another 6 months of patching at the least.

Cheers!
-Liq

Top Bottom