If playing on Development Builds, where is the best place to report issues?

HiRezAudio

Prince
I cannot seem to find anywhere to report problems - in the latest development builds I am seeing a lot of things that never usually happen (exception errors in the game, details in red text - it's telling me something about referenced objects but not sure what).
It would also be helpful if there was a logging options for these builds, so that if there is an issue a log file is automatically created.

Menu upper left > Submit Bug (four up from bottom)?

1673044545602.png

I cannot seem to find anywhere to report problems - in the latest development builds I am seeing a lot of things that never usually happen (exception errors in the game, details in red text - it's telling me something about referenced objects but not sure what).
It would also be helpful if there was a logging options for these builds, so that if there is an issue a log file is automatically created.
As above, use submit bug. All those red text things are posted to the log file which is sent to us when you submit a bug.

Sorry, but that is really no use as it is not possible to send a screen grab, which explains far faster and much better than I can write it all down.
Strange Game code errors 2.jpgStrange Game code errors.jpg

Actually, submit bug sends us a screenshot.

Besides. The red error just lists the error. The log file contains a stack trace which tells us the source file, method, line, etc.

Your 5 minutes to click submit bug and type some words, saves us a couple of days trying to figure out where that error happened. Though index out of range could happen in a hundred places, so without the stack trace in the logs, we would never find it anyways. 🙂

A separate challenge I have when trying to send a bug is that it doesn't go through and the game suggests "try again later"?

Interesting! Maybe you could display it in the screen so that we all know. I also thought only the text was sent.
We receive the save, a screenshot of the game, the text you write and the log files (the ones in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\OldWorld\Logs), and no identifying information. We can't even reply to people reporting issue unless they explicitly provide an email address themselves.

Reactions: PiR
Interesting! Maybe you could display it in the screen so that we all know. I also thought only the text was sent.
BTW just so we are very clear WHAT we get sent.

We get sent a screenshot of the game window only, what's in the game window at the time the bug is submitted, plus we get sent the log file, a save of the game in progress, and the two game options files. Our Unity statistics give us some generic system info such as CPU, GPU, RAM and system type (ie: Windows 10 v****, or MACOS *****). If the player has entered their email address in game options, or the bug submit details, we get that too. Otherwise, we have no idea who they come from (unless we were talking to them previously and expecting it). Or, the player specifically says "I submitted my bug".

For us, the critical part is the log file and the save file. From this we can 95% of the time find the bug and kill it.

I was not implying we were getting any of my bank statements ^^ just that when I saw the screen with just a textarea, I hadn't thought much of it, preferring other channels to report information. Knowing this now, it is much faster to report something this was than posting on the forum (or anywhere else).

I was not implying we were getting any of my bank statements ^^ just that when I saw the screen with just a textarea, I hadn't thought much of it, preferring other channels to report information. Knowing this now, it is much faster to report something this was than posting on the forum (or anywhere else).
That it is, although there are many false positive (things reported as bugs that are not actually bugs) and a quick line on discord is probably the quickest way to check for that and get pointers if anything was missed. It can be frustrating to get a non-bug report but have no way to explain to the disappointed player what's happening and why they're facing something confusing.

Then maybe add a tickbox "I accept to be contacted for the followup of this report."?
Ideally with the email entered only once, not having to type it each time.
That could be something to consider. Ticking the checkbox would display an email field to fill it in if it wasn't provided already, and prefill it from the option file if something was provided.
Hummmm.
I think I like the idea.

I have been trying to send bug reports via the menu system, but keep running into a problem where I get a message telling me 'The User report could not be sent' and to 'please try later'
See screenshot.

The bug I was trying to report seems to trigger every time I run an 'Intercede with family' mission for the Queen Consort

Attachments

• User report could not be sent.jpg
    User report could not be sent.jpg
    741.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Triggered by 'Intercede with family' mission.jpg
    Triggered by 'Intercede with family' mission.jpg
    945.5 KB · Views: 18
I have been trying to send bug reports via the menu system, but keep running into a problem where I get a message telling me 'The User report could not be sent' and to 'please try later'
See screenshot.

The bug I was trying to report seems to trigger every time I run an 'Intercede with family' mission for the Queen Consort
Could you please attach the log file from /Documents/MyGames/OldWorld/Logs/ (or /Dev/Logs/ if on the daily dev build).
The save from just before it if you could too please.

I often (always?) tend to get the "Try later" thingy when I already have sumitted a bug and want to submit another one. Quiting the game and coming back allows to submit the bug. Only returning to the menu is not enough. Very frustrating!
If it is some quota limit, it's understandable, but then please block us before we lose time to fill the bug and click on the Send button.

Top Bottom